On a mission to like jazz
Feb 23, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #2,193 of 5,027

What think you think of, Weather Report or The Mahavishnu Orchestra? There was a brief explosion of popularity for Fusion Jaz in the 70s'.

I listen to a fair amount of Weather Report (just got heavy weather on vinyl - again
biggrin.gif
).  Also have the 20 bit master on CD - but the vinyl sounds way better.  Hear lots of Mahavishnu (and all others like Tony Williams) on the local Rochester fusion program @ Jazz901.org on Saturday nights, but don't have their recordings - good stuff.  Big fan of Return To Forever (especially Romantic Warrior which I also just picked up on vinyl).  Yes, the early and mid-70s were great for fusion.

I might add that I have a 70s vintage Kenwood KT-7550 Tuner that I have completely restored as per recommendations at www.fmtunerinfo.com and it does a great job with FM - in fact it beats any CD player I have heard.  Very close to vinyl too.

Feb 23, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #2,194 of 5,027

I listen to a fair amount of Weather Report (just got heavy weather on vinyl - again
biggrin.gif
).  Also have the 20 bit master on CD - but the vinyl sounds way better.  Hear lots of Mahavishnu (and all others like Tony Williams) on the local Rochester fusion program @ Jazz901.org on Saturday nights, but don't have their recordings - good stuff.  Big fan of Return To Forever (especially Romantic Warrior which I also just picked up on vinyl).  Yes, the early and mid-70s were great for fusion.

I might add that I have a 70s vintage Kenwood KT-7550 Tuner that I have completely restored as per recommendations at www.fmtunerinfo.com and it does a great job with FM - in fact it beats any CD player I have heard.  Very close to vinyl too.

Then you might also like Dave Weckl or Jon Luc Ponty. Or the Dennis Chambers Outbreak album.
Speaking of Tony Williams, another departed fellow, he had a great guitar player on some of his albums, Alan Holdsworth.

Feb 23, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #2,195 of 5,027

Then you might also like Dave Weckl or Jon Luc Ponty. Or the Dennis Chambers Outbreak album.
Speaking of Tony Williams, another departed fellow, he had a great guitar player on some of his albums, Alan Holdsworth.

Yes - already familiar with all the names you mention. Great musicians, All!

I recently found a NM copy of JLP (cosmic traveler) on vinyl @ Goodwill. No dirt or scratches.  Sounds terrific.

I think I paid 99 cents plus tax.  Could not believe my good fortune.

Feb 23, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #2,196 of 5,027

Yes - already familiar with all the names you mention. Great musicians, All!

I recently found a NM copy of JLP (cosmic traveler) on vinyl @ Goodwill. No dirt or scratches.  Sounds terrific.

I think I paid 99 cents plus tax.  Could not believe my good fortune.

Wow, what a find, incredible.

Feb 23, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #2,197 of 5,027
I still very much enjoy Fusion. It's funny how 99% of the time it's the classics that are usually discussed when Fusion is mentioned (much like 'regular' Jazz tbt) but there's new Fusion out there also, always has been, but it NEVER gets a mention. If anyone's interested:
Gary Willis - Larger Than Life
Simon Phillips - Protocol III
Both of these guys have made a number of stellar Fusion records, and participated in great Fusion projects by others. It's a paradox of sorts when you think about how this genre (Fusion) has never completely gone away, recordings are bought, concerts are sold out, and yet it's so rarely acknowledged. I guess Fusion fans don't hang out in chatrooms!:wink:

Feb 23, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #2,198 of 5,027
I still very much enjoy Fusion. It's funny how 99% of the time it's the classics that are usually discussed when Fusion is mentioned (much like 'regular' Jazz tbt) but there's new Fusion out there also, always has been, but it NEVER gets a mention. If anyone's interested:
Both of these guys have made a number of stellar Fusion records, and participated in great Fusion projects by others. It's a paradox of sorts when you think about how this genre (Fusion) has never completely gone away, recordings are bought, concerts are sold out, and yet it's so rarely acknowledged. I guess Fusion fans don't hang out in chatrooms!
wink.gif

Thanks for the tip.  Will check those guys out.  I love mainstream Jazz, but sometimes just need that extra kick that Fusion provides 
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #2,199 of 5,027
Dave Douglas is one artist around who has groups that mine the fusion vein. He has a few albums that explore it. I just saw him at the Village Vanguard, NYC (not jazz fusion, was a band with Joe Lovano called Soundprints, which explores Wayne Shorter territory). Man, is he a monster!

Feb 23, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #2,200 of 5,027
Both of these guys have made a number of stellar Fusion records, and participated in great Fusion projects by others. It's a paradox of sorts when you think about how this genre (Fusion) has never completely gone away, recordings are bought, concerts are sold out, and yet it's so rarely acknowledged. I guess Fusion fans don't hang out in chatrooms!
wink.gif

Thanks, I'll check these out, I'm always look for something new in Jazz Fusion.

Feb 23, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #2,202 of 5,027
  Just don't forget what Fusion is at its core; a Jazz/Rock hybrid.  This means when you're listening, TURN IT UP!!!:wink:

Some fusion has little Jazz to it, for example Yes is more like Classical/Country/Rock Fusion.
By the way, if you can get to it, listen to Jimi Hendrix, Pali Gap on the Rainbow Bridge Album and tell me that isn't Jazz Fusion. You will probably like it.

Feb 23, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #2,203 of 5,027
If you get down to it, everything is fusion of some sort or other. Jazz had elements of Ragtime, Blues, Pop music. Rock and roll had a mix of jazz, R and B and country music. Latin snuck into Jazz. Country has British roots, but you hear lots of blues in early country. And so on, and so on, and Scooby Dooby Dooby.

Feb 23, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #2,204 of 5,027
By the way, if you can get to it, listen to Jimi Hendrix, Pali Gap on the Rainbow Bridge Album and tell me that isn't Jazz Fusion. You will probably like it.

I'd hardly be a fan of Fusion if I wasn't totally fluent in all things Hendrix!;] But you make a good point about some Fusion not having much Jazz content. Believe it or not, much like all genres in Jazz, when you start digging you come up with a slew of sub- genres. For instance, I've always differentiated between Jazz/Rock and Rock/Jazz! Jazz/Rock is, for me, about Jazz musicians making music with Rock volume and dynamics. Rock/Jazz is about accomplished musicians who don't necessarily have Jazz backgrounds but they're playing instrumentals and improvising (Hendrix and Beck for example). As far as Jimi goes, I think most ol' skool fusionista's were raised on a steady diet of him, Cream, Traffic, Beck, Zappa, and even the Allman Bros. All artists that played and released long, exploratory instrumentals that truly rocked!

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #2,205 of 5,027
I'd hardly be a fan of Fusion if I wasn't totally fluent in all things Hendrix!;] But you make a good point about some Fusion not having much Jazz content. Believe it or not, much like all genres in Jazz, when you start digging you come up with a slew of sub- genres. For instance, I've always differentiated between Jazz/Rock and Rock/Jazz! Jazz/Rock is, for me, about Jazz musicians making music with Rock volume and dynamics. Rock/Jazz is about accomplished musicians who don't necessarily have Jazz backgrounds but they're playing instrumentals and improvising (Hendrix and Beck for example). As far as Jimi goes, I think most ol' skool fusionista's were raised on a steady diet of him, Cream, Traffic, Beck, Zappa, and even the Allman Bros. All artists that played and released long, exploratory instrumentals that truly rocked!

We seem to have listened to a lot of the same musicians from the 60s' and 70s'. You ever listen to BrandX?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back