On a mission to like jazz
Feb 16, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #2,177 of 5,027
  +1
I guess you either love him or find him just weird and eccentric.
I'm in the first group and got a ticket for his Feb.15th Carnegie Hall solo concert for X-mas.
biggrin.gif

For me he's been an acquired taste, but I've acquired it, have gotten to like those solo concerts recently released quite a bit. Carnegie hall, huH?...
(I went to see him once many years ago, Village Vanguard, noisy tourist audience, he started playing, stopped after a few minutes to get silence, started playing again, stopped again when the crowd was still noisy, started again, then left the stage and didn't come back. While I hate talking at clubs myself, I really resented not getting to hear him then, and didn't pay much attention to him for quite a while after that).

Yesterday was time to use my x-mas present to get into Carnegie Hall for Keith's annual solo performance.
He made liberal use of the first amendment of free speech and opened with 10 min. at the mic lambasting Trump.  As for the NYC liberal art crowd he was certainly preaching to the choir.
wink.gif
Even in between breaks he came back on Trump with further comments. And yes, there were also folks taking photos with flashlight and he went off on these 2 incidents. But more importantly, all the rage about Trump, obviously a serious thorn in his behind, has pushed him to excellent improvisations and the audience was giving him generous support and he was really enjoying it. He seemed pleased with his performance. After 2 encores he went to the mic again and said "You have been the first audience to make me proud. God bless America!" A certainly memorable concert at Carnegie Hall.

Feb 16, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #2,179 of 5,027

+1
I guess you either love him or find him just weird and eccentric.
I'm in the first group and got a ticket for his Feb.15th Carnegie Hall solo concert for X-mas.:D  

For me he's been an acquired taste, but I've acquired it, have gotten to like those solo concerts recently released quite a bit. Carnegie hall, huH?...

(I went to see him once many years ago, Village Vanguard, noisy tourist audience, he started playing, stopped after a few minutes to get silence, started playing again, stopped again when the crowd was still noisy, started again, then left the stage and didn't come back. While I hate talking at clubs myself, I really resented not getting to hear him then, and didn't pay much attention to him for quite a while after that).

Yesterday was time to use my x-mas present to get into Carnegie Hall for Keith's annual solo performance.
He made liberal use of the first amendment of free speech and opened with 10 min. at the mic lambasting Trump.  As for the NYC liberal art crowd he was certainly preaching to the choir.:wink: Even in between breaks he came back on Trump with further comments. And yes, there were also folks taking photos with flashlight and he went off on these 2 incidents. But more importantly, all the rage about Trump, obviously a serious thorn in his behind, has pushed him to excellent improvisations and the audience was giving him generous support and he was really enjoying it. He seemed pleased with his performance. After 2 encores he went to the mic again and said "You have been the first audience to make me proud. God bless America!" A certainly memorable concert at Carnegie Hall.

Glad you enjoyed it, almost went for a ticket but family stuff for in the way. One of these days...

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #2,186 of 5,027
Larry Coryell? Missed that, sad...

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #2,188 of 5,027

And a major one at that!

I knew Mike Mandel, Larry Coryell's keyboard player back in the 1970's. He was unstoppable for a blind fellow. I used to fix and modify his ARP Odyssey Synthesizer. I went to many of their live performances.

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #2,190 of 5,027
  I knew Mike Mandel, Larry Coryell's keyboard player back in the 1970's. He was unstoppable for a blind fellow. I used to fix and modify his ARP Odyssey Synthesizer. I went to many of their live performances.

Wow, very nice Stan!  Loved Larry's music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back