On a mission to like jazz
Jul 2, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #1,216 of 5,031
LOL, the usual outbursts of pain and suffering are well captured
biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #1,219 of 5,031
It does have a label on it ... "tango nuevo" but uncategorizable or a category of it's own, I agree.
Nevertheless great stuff from Piazolla.

Similar is this youg guy :
I saw him live at Joe's Pub in NYC last year
81wVWZaJjNL._SX522_.jpg

And I recently discovered this album.
Some songs in an unusual trio setting with male vocals, trumpet and piano.
Great music and audiophile recording.
71piTCI5BrL._SL1400_.jpg

Jul 5, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #1,222 of 5,031
I own a few Andy Narrell solo records.  I most enjoyed his work when he partnered up with Dave Samuels & Paquito D'Rivera in The Caribbean Jazz Project.  They were one of the greatest Latin Jazz bands of all time. The sonics of steel pans, vibes/marimba, & piano have always been interesting and pleasing to my ears.  A group of all-stars AND one of the greatest horn players (IMO) of all time, whats not to like!?:wink:.

Jul 5, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #1,223 of 5,031

Love Three time Three from start to finish.  Bird Calls took me a couple of listens but I'm really diggin' it now.

Jul 7, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #1,224 of 5,031
Whenever someone asks me what kind of music I like, my immediate answer is jazz, but I immediately qualify it by saying I basically like all kinds of music that use jazz as the platform of inspiration. That is the basic description of my music library. Jazz seems to be the tree I always try to see in every piece of music. After that it doesn't really matter what the genre or sub-genre may be. My question after that is simply this - 'Is it good music?' 'Can I listen and re-listen to it and still enjoy it?' I have discovered all kinds of music this way, and thanks to this thread I am discovering even more.

Have taken the time to go through the thread and while I found that the classics and giants are well-represented (usually that's what happens with any kind of jazz list/thread), what piqued my interest are the outliers - the stuff where new creativity is happening. Although there have been excellent examples of this offered (still exploring them), I found this area of suggestion somewhat underrepresented. Just so I'm not misunderstood, I have excellent selections of the classics, for example, Miles' "Kind of Blue," Coltrane's "My Favorite Things" and "A Love Supreme." In fact, I would place these three albums as the roots of my musical tree. The liner notes of "A Love Supreme" alone are worth getting into jazz. If you haven't read them already, I highly recommend doing so.

Here are some of my contributions to this awesome thread, of unexpected outlier stuff that I have been pleasantly surprised by, sometimes incredibly surprised by. Some of these artists are sort of genre bending, but then again ... what is jazz? I have tried to find equivalent youtube tracks wherever possible, but some of these will simply have to be hunted down if one is so-inclined. (Open youtube links in a new tab to listen.) Oh yeah ... keep the love of this music going . . .

Big Bang -- Essential Selection

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK3pl2bNFN4

Bugge Wesseltoft -- New Conception of Jazz -- Sharing

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nYX1oBRTsw

Christian Scott - Rewind That

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvf8yNehp0Y

The Cinematic Orchestra - Every Day

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EbCX24t2a8

David Borsu - Insight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4tqeBXWRvc

DJ Cam Quartet - Diggin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTIjF9NP7TI

DJ Cam Quartet - (Disc 2 of Saint Germain Des-Pres Cafe 9)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_bZyK-4Qeo

DJ-9 - Masters Of Groove Meet DJ-9

"self preservation" track available on itunes / spotify

Erik Truffaz - The Dawn

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFswGfAI32s

George Benson - Breezin'

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QjTK0pL1go

Gerardo Frisina - Hi Note

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y2jmJxpwMY

Herbie Hancock - Future 2 Future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCsxVeHKkJ0

Herbie Hancock - The New Standard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9SkS3yU704

The Invisible Session - The Invisible Session

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKUEBEm1eQo

Jaga Jazzist - A Livingroom Hush

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTDXkw0yZMg

Jose James - Blackmagic

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_dQnfdx6Bg

Kevin Yost & Guy Monk - Solid

googleplay

Kira Neris - Behind Closed Doors

www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9tWqk99Auc

The Landau Orchestra - Janus Plays Telephone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_ceO6CrgIM
(my favorite track of the album is "Stevie Bam Jackson" - not found on youtube)

Lars Danielsson - Tarantella

www.youtube.com/watch?v=83QPMamEfzI

Les Gammas - Exercices De Styles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvQWfGpEBvo

Metropolitan Jazz Affair - MJA

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt0QLhHT-1c

Mirko Signorile - Clessidra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHaFfYpbXhg

New Jazz Hustlers - New Jazz City

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLGCTJYu_1A

Nostalgia 77 - Everything Under The Sun

www.youtube.com/watch?v=T28SFcuDGuM

Povo - We Are Povo

www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmXHR8OflO8

Roy Hargrove Quintet - Earfood

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jOhYpJwFjI

Simon S - Jazz Chronicles

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEPXzlgDgYQ

Jul 7, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #1,225 of 5,031
  Whenever someone asks me what kind of music I like, my immediate answer is jazz, but I immediately qualify it by saying I basically like all kinds of music that use jazz as the platform of inspiration. That is the basic description of my music library. Jazz seems to be the tree I always try to see in every piece of music. After that it doesn't really matter what the genre or sub-genre may be. My question after that is simply this - 'Is it good music?' 'Can I listen and re-listen to it and still enjoy it?' I have discovered all kinds of music this way, and thanks to this thread I am discovering even more.

Have taken the time to go through the thread and while I found that the classics and giants are well-represented (usually that's what happens with any kind of jazz list/thread), what piqued my interest are the outliers - the stuff where new creativity is happening. Although there have been excellent examples of this offered (still exploring them), I found this area of suggestion somewhat underrepresented. Just so I'm not misunderstood, I have excellent selections of the classics, for example, Miles' "Kind of Blue," Coltrane's "My Favorite Things" and "A Love Supreme." In fact, I would place these three albums as the roots of my musical tree. The liner notes of "A Love Supreme" alone are worth getting into jazz. If you haven't read them already, I highly recommend doing so.

Here are some of my contributions to this awesome thread, of unexpected outlier stuff that I have been pleasantly surprised by, sometimes incredibly surprised by. Some of these artists are sort of genre bending, but then again ... what is jazz? I have tried to find equivalent youtube tracks wherever possible, but some of these will simply have to be hunted down if one is so-inclined. (Open youtube links in a new tab to listen.) Oh yeah ... keep the love of this music going . . .

Terja:

Thanks for a great post to the thread.  Lots of things I've never heard/know of, so off to Apple Music to give them a listen.  That's what makes this a great thread as all of us have our favorites and a yearning to hear more.

Jul 7, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #1,226 of 5,031
+1 great variety of recommendations. I only have the Lars Daniellson album on my shelf.
I have a strong preference for acoustic music, so a lot of your favorites don't pass that sreener
wink.gif

I will check out Mirko Signorile ... along this style is Iiro Rantala, a pretty unique character from Finland.

Jul 8, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #1,227 of 5,031
Thanks guys! I'm slowly making my way through the other links posted in the thread. Of course some things are painting outside my radar and that's cool, it kinda helps reinforce what I like. Some things are instant discoveries, which I think is the point of the posts, so thanks to everyone who has posted suggestions. Hey, we are helping each other and the OP along ... what are friends for! Will put Iiro Rantala on my explore list.

Jul 8, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #1,228 of 5,031
  Thanks guys! I'm slowly making my way through the other links posted in the thread. Of course some things are painting outside my radar and that's cool, it kinda helps reinforce what I like. Some things are instant discoveries, which I think is the point of the posts, so thanks to everyone who has posted suggestions. Hey, we are helping each other and the OP along ... what are friends for! Will put Iiro Rantala on my explore list.

Iiro Rantala's Lost Heroes album comes highly recommended. He was also the head of Trio Töykeät for a couple of decades.

Jul 9, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #1,229 of 5,031

The Invisible Session - The Invisible Session

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKUEBEm1eQo

It's a shame these guys haven't done more sessions.  I'm really liking it -- a lot!

(Amazon)

The Invisible Session are Luciano Cantone (a co-founder of Schema Records as well as producer and lyricist) along with Paolo Fedreghini and Marco Bianchi, who also composed, arranged and performed the music on this album. The producer's profound and spiritual pathway, together with its resulting vision, crossed with the two musicians' affinity in the same investigation. After months spent collaborating, the three decided to channel their collective ideas into music. Once common inspiration was found, it became the guiding star to the "invisible session". The ten resulting compositions are where various music genres interconnect. The trio shaped a project whose strength resides in rhythms and contaminated Jazz. Hence, Gospel and Blues blend in along with Hard-Bop and R&B for a club dimension.

Jul 9, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #1,230 of 5,031
Don't know whether you've found it yet, but Paolo Fedreghini and Marco Bianchi had worked together previously on "Several People." Bit of a more laid back Schema flavor but still very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back