On a mission to like jazz
May 14, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #1,171 of 5,063
Cruising around Tidal and found this incredibly well recorded Gem!

May 15, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #1,173 of 5,063
Yup - that is a good one.  Here in his home town we used to get to see many of his performances (I think he has slowed down a bit of late).  Saw him in the Eastman theater a few years back.  Excellent performance.

May 19, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #1,175 of 5,063
  Just picked this up at GW.  Very nice condition.  Had this vinyl a long time ago and glad to have it again.  Produced by Bob James:

Nice!  I was a big Maynard Ferguson fan 30 years ago.  Not sure why I stopped listening. 

Enjoy your (re) find!

May 20, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #1,176 of 5,063
I never cared much for Ferguson's 'Rocky' period. I have a few records that he recorded after this period with a Big Band, live, that were smokas. The The longtime lead trumpet player in Maynard's band is west coast studio vet; Wayne Bergeron. Needless to say, he's a musicians musician, a stellar horn man. I think he's playing in Gordon Goodwin's Phat Band currently. If you're interested in modern, well recorded, exciting Big Band, Wayne Bergeron's recorded 2 albums; 'Plays Well With Others' & 'You Call This A Living?'. I ordered both of these at the same time, it's like getting a fabulous double album! His boss showed up on a few tunes, one killa cut is 'Maynard & Waynard! Love that horny music!:wink:

May 20, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #1,178 of 5,063
Cecil Taylor fans might be interested in this. At $125 for a (lossless) download, the price is a bit outside my comfort zone – even if you are buying thirteen discs' worth of music.

https://destination-out.bandcamp.com/album/the-complete-in-berlin-88-box-set

May 25, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #1,179 of 5,063
Hello Jazz fans! 

New to this genre but have been a massive alternative, indie and rock fans for so many years, plus I like seeing bands/performers live too! So, that's that. 

Recently download Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (kind of obvious choice from google search of 'the best') and I can safely say that I'm hooked with Jazz!
Went on and download some Coltrane as well, oh wow never heard music being played better and the quality of recording helps too! 

Now in here trying to discuss and learn more about Jazz, but most importantly I need more recommendations PLEASE! 
At this point I think I'm mostly into the instrumental (if that's even what it being called) i.e. with no vocals. Probably more into the masters and legends of Jazz at this point  since I'm big on history as well. 

So, please do leave your suggestions and I will get them into my eardrums! Thanks guys.

May 25, 2015 at 12:20 PM Post #1,180 of 5,063
  Hello Jazz fans! 

New to this genre but have been a massive alternative, indie and rock fans for so many years, plus I like seeing bands/performers live too! So, that's that. 

Recently download Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (kind of obvious choice from google search of 'the best') and I can safely say that I'm hooked with Jazz!
Went on and download some Coltrane as well, oh wow never heard music being played better and the quality of recording helps too! 

Now in here trying to discuss and learn more about Jazz, but most importantly I need more recommendations PLEASE! 
At this point I think I'm mostly into the instrumental (if that's even what it being called) i.e. with no vocals. Probably more into the masters and legends of Jazz at this point  since I'm big on history as well. 

So, please do leave your suggestions and I will get them into my eardrums! Thanks guys.

Try 'My Funny Valentine' and  'Four & More' by Miles, Hancock, George Coleman and Tony Williams..it's a live recording in NY, 1964 I believe, it's two albums of the same gig, the latter less mellow then the first.. Best live Jazz ever IMO..good luck
wink_face.gif
  (great sq as well)

May 25, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #1,182 of 5,063
"Recently download Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (kind of obvious choice from google search of 'the best') and I can safely say that I'm hooked with Jazz!"

Most people that love KOB also love 'Something Else' by Cannonball Adderley.  An outstanding record, recorded beautifully, with a band of all-stars, including Miles Davis in a rare instance of being featured as a sideman!  I remember buying the record when the salesman told me it was like a 'Kind Of Blue Pt. II!  It really isn't, but it's a classic in it's own right!

May 25, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #1,183 of 5,063
I know it's tough to find the time, but anyone who read through this entire thread would find enough great jazz recommendations to keep them happy for a very long time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back