On a mission to like jazz
Jan 23, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #228 of 5,029
Jan 23, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #229 of 5,029

I've listened to this before on MOG, but I just received my copy on CD. Of course I ripped it in FLAC. Great album indeed.

Jan 23, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #230 of 5,029
....and going to the polar opposite of free Jazz, yesterday I picked up the posthumous record (poor guy died from cancer in his mid 40's, and NEVER smoked!) by Cuban bassist extraordinaire; Charles Flores - Impressions Of Graffiti - enjoying it very much. Also kickin' out the funk with the latest (released on Tues., supposedly it's charting as the #1 selling Jazz record on iTunes this week) from the Funky Knuckles - Meta Musica. Interesting to note how many different sub-genres there are in Jazz. Whether it's Free, Latin, Fusion, acoustic, electric, big band, small combo, solo, duo, trio, instrumental, vocal, or any combo of these. Jazz is such a small word for this vast universe of music!

Jan 23, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #231 of 5,029

Zara McFarlane - If You Knew Her
https://brownswoodrecordings.bandcamp.com/album/if-you-knew-her

I've had this album pre-ordered for a while now and now it's finally out. Recommended for fans of soulful vocal jazz.

Jan 26, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #232 of 5,029
Check it out.

Jan 26, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #233 of 5,029
Way back in post #7 I wrote about a personal favorite band of mine; Snarky Puppy. Very excited and happy to congratulate them for their Grammy win for best R&B performance along with the amazing Lalah Hathaway! Go to YouTube to see this incredible performance and see for yourself what all the buzz is about!

Jan 27, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #234 of 5,029
Way back in post #7 I wrote about a personal favorite band of mine; Snarky Puppy. Very excited and happy to congratulate them for their Grammy win for best R&B performance along with the amazing Lalah Hathaway! Go to YouTube to see this incredible performance and see for yourself what all the buzz is about!

+1

Been digging on snarky puppy for a few years now, even got to see them live this fall. Extremely exciting group of musicians

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #235 of 5,029
Right guys this is not strictly jazz but i think it is an album that demands a listen. A must have for fans of great session playing. One of the best line-ups there ever was. An amazing album for sure!!

Jan 29, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #236 of 5,029
Anybody looking for a break from traditional jazz check out Koop's "Waltz for Koop".  Don't let the album cover scare you 
wink.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Waltz-Koop/dp/B00GRX0NPG/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1390981801&sr=1-3&keywords=koop

Jan 29, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #238 of 5,029
Maybe there is room for other types of modern jazz in addition to traditional jazz. Let's keep in an open mind here. Nobody is advocating the abandonment of the great works.

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #239 of 5,029
  Now why on earth would anyone want to do that? (No offense meant to the music you posted.)

Maybe there is room for other types of modern jazz in addition to traditional jazz. Let's keep in an open mind here. Nobody is advocating the abandonment of the great works.

I'm confused. Didn't I write "No offense meant to the music you posted."?

And by the way, Be-bop, the music that Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie introduced back the 1940s, was not considered to be "traditional" jazz back when it was first played. In fact this radical music, as it was called at the time, really turned jazz on its ear. It is only 70 years later that Charlie Parker and be-bop are considered "traditional" jazz. Time has a funny way of taking the edge off of most things. For real traditional jazz I suggest:

Essential listening.

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #240 of 5,029

I'm all for a open mind too here... But I have to say, although I highly appreciate all these for me new Artists to discover thanks to posts in this thread, the OP is called on a mission to like Jazz. 
I highly doubt that people new to Jazz will start liking it by starting with some free Jazz. 

I always try to show to my gf some Jazz that she might like, but I always fail. Even with Take Five

Users who are viewing this thread

Back