On a mission to like jazz
Feb 9, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #3,457 of 5,028
I'm trying to get into jazz music but I don't really know where to go from here. The only jazz or jazzy stuff I own is some Norah Jones, Diana Krall and some jazz fusion that is really more progressive rock than jazz. The fusion/prog that I am referring to is stuff like The Aristocrats, Gavin Harrison & O5RIC, Anglagard, IAmTheMorning, and Planet X.

So, any suggestions on what to try? I have a MOG account, so anything that is on there I am willing to try out. I like the idea that jazz is usually live instruments, meanwhile rock/metal is usually overproduced and is often not very dynamic. I love lively, well recorded drums, so anything with top class drummers would be good. This is head-fi, so recordings that are mixed/mastered well would be great of course. I'm open to ideas. My Last.fm account profile is in my signature if that helps to get an idea of what I like.

Thanks in advance guys and gals.

I find the audiophile’s world liking for jazz borderline ostentatious.
Most jazz album heralded as a "masterpiece" often annoys me within a few minutes and I seem to hate most of what Miles Davis did.
With that said, I recently discovered Charle’s Mingus’ album Mingus Ah Um and surprisingly liked it — a lot.

Some of the tracks I recently discovered were :

- Politely, Tony Allen, A Tribute To Art Blakey And The Jazz Messengers (EP)
- Comin' Home Baby (LP Version), Herbie Mann, Atlantic Jazz: Soul
- Willow Weep For Me, Clifford Brown, Clifford Brown With Strings
- Abusey Junction, Kokoroko, KOKOROKO

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 6:37 AM Post #3,458 of 5,028
I find the audiophile’s world liking for jazz borderline ostentatious.
Most jazz album heralded as a "masterpiece" often annoys me within a few minutes and I hate most of what Miles Davis did.
With that said, I recently discovered Charle’s Mingus’ album Mingus Ah Um and surprisingly liked it — a lot.

Some of the tracks I recently discovered were :

- Politely, Tony Allen, A Tribute To Art Blakey And The Jazz Messengers (EP)
- Comin' Home Baby (LP Version), Herbie Mann, Atlantic Jazz: Soul
- Willow Weep For Me, Clifford Brown, Clifford Brown With Strings
- Abusey Junction, Kokoroko, KOKOROKO

Check out Blume by Nerija, includes some of the same people from KOKOROKO.

Also, out of curiosity, what Miles Davis have you heard? He has SUCH a huge range of work, from his 50s bop to his fusion stuff. Personally, I think his second quintet is by far the best, and his run of albums including ESP and Miles in the Sky are incredible. But the great thing about jazz is, there's so much of it and such a wide range that you're bound to find something you like!

Feb 9, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #3,459 of 5,028
Check out Blume by Nerija, includes some of the same people from KOKOROKO.

Also, out of curiosity, what Miles Davis have you heard? He has SUCH a huge range of work, from his 50s bop to his fusion stuff. Personally, I think his second quintet is by far the best, and his run of albums including ESP and Miles in the Sky are incredible. But the great thing about jazz is, there's so much of it and such a wide range that you're bound to find something you like!

True — it's reallyyy wide :)

From Miles Davis: I tolerated Kind Of Blue but it starts to grow on me.

Otherwise it's a mix and match of Spotify's recommendations (which usually aren't bad) and me stumbling on something from Miles Davis which I try out to see if it'll change my mind.

I'll give a listen to your mentions, thanks again :)

Feb 9, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #3,460 of 5,028
True — it's reallyyy wide :)

From Miles Davis: I tolerated Kind Of Blue but it starts to grow on me.

Otherwise it's a mix and match of Spotify's recommendations (which usually aren't bad) and me stumbling on something from Miles Davis which I try out to see if it'll change my mind.

I'll give a listen to your mentions, thanks again :)

Totally! And dude, go check out In A Silent Way by Davis... it's not at ALL what you'll expect from jazz. It's more like ambient. His whole string of albums in the mid- to late-60s are really amazing and I'm really not a huge Davis fan. They're not like the old-timey sounding bebop stuff like Kind of Blue. Try Nefertiti for something that still sounds like jazz... but is totally different, for example. But at the end of the day, if you don't like Davis, forget him! Check out Wayne Shorter's stuff for Blue Note, or maybe Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers during the Shorter years (Free For All is a really good one if you like some hard drumming and Indestructible is one of my all time favorites). Anyway I could go on but good luck and have fun, jazz is cool once you get past all the stupid audiophile obsessiveness and the opinions and all that crap and just have fun with it.

Feb 9, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #3,461 of 5,028
Totally! And dude, go check out In A Silent Way by Davis... it's not at ALL what you'll expect from jazz. It's more like ambient. His whole string of albums in the mid- to late-60s are really amazing and I'm really not a huge Davis fan. They're not like the old-timey sounding bebop stuff like Kind of Blue. Try Nefertiti for something that still sounds like jazz... but is totally different, for example. But at the end of the day, if you don't like Davis, forget him! Check out Wayne Shorter's stuff for Blue Note, or maybe Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers during the Shorter years (Free For All is a really good one if you like some hard drumming and Indestructible is one of my all time favorites). Anyway I could go on but good luck and have fun, jazz is cool once you get past all the stupid audiophile obsessiveness and the opinions and all that crap and just have fun with it.

Thanks again.

My liky Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back