On a mission to like jazz
Jan 9, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #3,361 of 5,027
Practicing right now on my Sax

IMG_1212.jpeg

Jan 10, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #3,365 of 5,027
Great artist^^^. Wish he was still with us!

Jan 11, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #3,368 of 5,027
I'm sure I'm not the only Jazz fanatic listening to this:

IMG_20200111_110958801.jpg

Jan 12, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #3,373 of 5,027
There are great suggestions in the earlier posts. I’ll listen and learn myself.

Decades ago, this then young college kid from Bloomfield Hills formed a long friendship with a retired foundry worker in Detroit through audio and music. Johnny was old enough to be my father, but the education I got enjoying jazz, blues and R&B in his basement was priceless. Much of the music was an acquired taste. Some, like Sun Ra, was never acquired. Edward Kennedy Ellington articulated it best when he said, “There are two kinds of music, good and the other kind.” If it speaks to you fine; if not, that’s fine also.

When someone wonders whether they might like jazz, I suggest:

- Kind Of Blue
by Miles Davis;
- Time Out by Dave Brubeck; and
- Live In Paris by Diana Krall.

If none of those floats their boat, they may as well stick with Kiss, Eminem, or whatever else they enjoy. If they like some of what they hear, they can move on to John Coltrane, Bill Evans, David Sanborn, Melody Gardot and much much more.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #3,374 of 5,027

Decades ago, this then young college kid from Bloomfield Hills formed a long friendship with a retired foundry worker in Detroit through audio and music. Johnny was old enough to be my father, but the education I got enjoying jazz, blues and R&B in his basement was priceless. Much of the music was an acquired taste. Some, like Sun Ra, was never acquired. Edward Kennedy Ellington articulated it best when he said, “There are two kinds of music, good and the other kind.” If it speaks to you fine; if not, that’s fine also.

- Kind Of Blue
by Miles Davis;

If none of those floats their boat, they may as well stick with Kiss, Eminem, or whatever else they enjoy. If they like some of what they hear, they can move on to John Coltrane, Bill Evans, David Sanborn, Melody Gardot and much much more.

The three you list are actually three of my all time favorites. Good suggestions!

Jan 12, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #3,375 of 5,027

- Kind Of Blue
by Miles Davis;

I think that also the quality of your audio gear plays a part for some jazz.
I know that sounds snobbish, but let me explain:
Maybe six years ago, a friend kept mentioning how great Kind Of Blue by Miles Davis, was as an album. However no matter how many times I listened to it with cheapo earbuds, and my PC as the source, I kept finding the music sounded screechy.
Gradually improving my earbuds and headphones, and upgrading from my PC to an external DAC, changed my perception of Miles, Coltrane et al. Their music changed from screeches to harmonious. Probably for vinyl lovers, their music was always harmonious, but for digital lovers maybe there is a baseline level of gear, below which the magic does not appear.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back