On a mission to like jazz
Oct 10, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #2,581 of 5,031
I'm not sure I understand what happened to Chris Botti in between the time he was doing avant-garde prog rock with Bill Bruford and Tony Levin in BLUE, and now, but he's definitely lost his edge. Similar to kick-ass horn players Richard Elliot and Greg Adams from Tower of Power who have also spiraled into the smooth jazz doldrums. I know some people like this music, and all due respect to you, but I'm not a fan.

Everything changes, and Chris, aged, matured, became the next musical and intellectual evolution of himself, and this created him to think about his future, his legacy, and his approach to making music in an entirely new way.
Also, once he was picked by Sting to play and tour, this really, im sure, opened his eyes in a significant way, regarding so many things.
Everything changes....
Take Miles Davis for example..
When he was making "Birth of the Cool" he was already heading into the direction of playing fewer notes and less interesting hard bop, while youngster Dizzy and similar were on the horizon ready to blast out the super runs and the amazingly intellectual "riffs".
At some point Miles decided...>"no more high notes for me"...
Sometime after, Miles was barely blowing his horn, possibly trying to do a bad imitation of Chet Baker ???... He would stand there onstage, seemingly in a haze, red satin pants glaring, horn pointed dumbly at the floor, the band ripping into the music while Miles would blow one note, 2 notes, to try to establish a "mood".
(excuse me, while i yawn = must be my mood.).
But what he established was nothing......Just Miles standing there, band ripping, while he choked out a note or 2 that usually had intonation issues.
At some point even later on in his "i am music", career, his horn's tone always sounded like it had a severe valve leak that he was too lazy to get repaired.
"Hummm, well i think i need to get my horn fixed but hand me that needle and spoon first...wait, its 2 weeks later......and the gig was last week....."...""""

People harp and clang and spurt about "Bitches Brew", and i would not own that or listen to it, if i was forced to do it OR jump into a black hole.
(see ya at the bottom).
That album is, imho, <YUK>, and of course Miles fans fawn over it, as if its the sunrise and the purple mountain majesty of all music.

So, say what you will about Chris's move into the world of Sting and more middle of the road jazz stylings and upper middle class audience type FAME, but, he still plays with passion, if not with as many notes, and he will certainly never end up with his horn pointed at the floor while he fakes playing it for the audience. ( i hope)/
And by the way, im not a CB fan, and i dont own any of his music, but i like these 2 songs, so i posted them.....:)

be happy, and i did find you some real Elevator Musack by Chris that you were speaking about.
All in all tho, its a pretty piece and a well performed performance.
-
-
-

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #2,582 of 5,031
Everything changes....
Take Miles Davis for example..
When he was making "Birth of the Cool" he was already heading into the direction of playing fewer notes and less interesting hard bop, while youngster Dizzy and similar were on the horizon ready to blast out the super runs and the amazingly intellectual "riffs".
At some point Miles decided...>"no more high notes for me"...
Sometime after, Miles was barely blowing his horn, possibly trying to do a bad imitation of Chet Baker ???... He would stand there onstage, seemingly in a haze, red satin pants glaring, horn pointed dumbly at the floor, the band ripping into the music while Miles would blow one note, 2 notes, to try to establish a "mood".
(excuse me, while i yawn = must be my mood.).
But what he established was nothing......Just Miles standing there, band ripping, while he choked out a note or 2 that usually had intonation issues.
At some point even later on in his "i am music", career, his horn's tone always sounded like it had a severe valve leak that he was too lazy to get repaired.
"Hummm, well i think i need to get my horn fixed but hand me that needle and spoon first...wait, its 2 weeks later......and the gig was last week....."...""""

People harp and clang and spurt about "Bitches Brew", and i would not own that or listen to it, if i was forced to do it OR jump into a black hole.
(see ya at the bottom).
That album is, imho, <YUK>, and of course Miles fans fawn over it, as if its the sunrise and the purple mountain majesty of all music.

-
-
-

Well you made your opinion quite clear, and I understand that you don't like what Miles Davis did from Bitches Brew onwards, and possibly even In A Silent Way, however dismissing his playing as early as 1948 is quite harsh. You also seem to have a confused knowledge of the history of jazz. At the time of Birth of the Cool (1948/49) Dizzy Gillespie wasn't a youngster, he was a senior figure in jazz. Dizzy started his career in the thirties and by the late 40s his reputation was well established, having birthed what is called bebop with Thelonious Monk and others. At this time Miles Davis had started his career 2 years earlier, in 1946, which put things back into perspective.
Miles Davis wasn't "heading in the direction of playing fewer notes" in the late 40s, he had always played like that. He was perfectly capable of playing virtuosic lines (if that's what you mean by "intellectual riffs"), but didn't want to. There are recording evidence of his capacity to play a lot of notes and first hand reports by the likes of Freddie Hubbard.
Concerning the high notes, the idea that Miles Davis consciously stopped playing high notes at some point is widespread but false and originated in the content of some interviews from the late 50s being transformed over the years. When you listen to Davis' recordings across his career, he actually progressively played higher and higher, not Gillespie or Faddis high but beyond the conventional range of the trumpet. You can hear Davis reaching G above high C in many of his recordings during the late 60s and 70s. And if you'd wish to go beyond your dislike of Davis' music of that period you would hear that he was playing quite a lot and sometimes very fast runs. Also remember that he started playing the trumpet with a wah-wah pedal, I think, from the early 70s. You don't play the same with that kind of gear.
It's true that he would sometimes suddenly play one or two notes, but if you listen carefully you understand that, that was a signal to provoke some change in the music. it's actually very clear in the filmed performance at the Isle of Wight (DVD Miles Electric: A Different Kind of Blue). Bebop-based music is following chord changes, when you improvise, you just play the changes and go back to the beginning. From the mid-60s with his Shorter-Hancock-Carter-Williams band, Miles Davis started to go towards improvisations that were not as cyclical. There were still changes, but they would change and extend them rather than going back up after 16/24/32 bars. When you improvise more "freely" like that, you need sonic devices to communicate the changes you want to your bandmates. Either that, or you turn your back to the audience so that your band mates can see you.

This: "possibly trying to do a bad imitation of Chet Baker", is just nonsense, Chet Baker, was the one imitating Miles Davis' 50s playing (I'm saying that and I admire Chet Baker very much), and Baker's approach would certainly not have worked for the music Davis' was doing in the late 60s and 70s.
As for his sound, it has always been quite consistent from the late 50s onwards, getting actually more powerful with the years while retaining his flugelhorn-like qualities. That's the sound he wanted, breathy, warm, round (which is the sound that Chris Botti emulates by the way), which was in part the result of playing a very deep mouthpiece, even deeper than cornet mouthpieces. With these kind of mouthpieces it takes more time to build the chops to get the very high notes, which might explain why he only got there in the mid 60s.

Bitches Brew is one of the great milestones of music whether you like it or not. You don't have to listen to it, but that doesn't take away how important it is, and how enjoyable it is for some people, myself included. When I was a teenager in the 80s, I completely rejected Miles Davis' music after he'd gone electric. I hated what people call jazz-rock. That was the result of ignorance and prejudice (I'm not saying you're prejudiced, I'm talking about me, let's be clear. You are entitled to your opinion). I was judging Miles Davis' music without having listened to it properly and was just regurgitating what critics and magazines were saying at the time.
I discovered Miles Davis' music chronologically, and when I had finished listening to his music up to the late 60s, I realised that I really enjoyed Filles de Kilimanjaro, and In a Silent Way, and then Jack Johnson. I decided to give Bitches Brew a go, even though I was persuaded I would hate it, and was blown away by it, whereas a lot of my friends were dismissing it as commercial (which is nonsense, hardly top 40 material is it?). I then continued chronologically and I now enjoy all Davis' career for different reasons. It's a shame I didn't realise that early enough to go and see him play before he died (I was still in my hardcore acoustic phase).

I saw Botti touring with Sting, he did a fairly good job, it's difficult to come after Branford Marsalis. He's a very good trumpet player and it's a shame that he went into easy listening, but his accountant must be happy. To each their own, as we say, You yawn at Bitches Brew, I'm bored by Botti's music. I nevertheless respect and appreciate his qualities as a performer and trumpet player (he's not the kind to play fast runs either, if you've noticed).

Cheers, Pierre

Edit: sorry for the lengthy post

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #2,583 of 5,031
Hi all,

I haven't been posting for a long time, but still kept an eye on the thread and the videos/music posted. It's really nice to see this thread still going and expanding. I'm listening a lot to Pyeng Threadgill last album at the moment and love it. So I thought I would share that even though it's not strictly jazz but still very jazz influenced. It's called Head Full of hair, Heart Full of Songs.

If you want to know more about the album's background here's a nice interview of Pyeng:

Cheers, Pierre

Edited to embed Pyeng Threadgill's album

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #2,588 of 5,031
So, Miles Davis 1973:

between around 12:44 and 12:46 Dave Liebman and Miles Davis play together repeatedly hitting a E flat above high C and then Miles hits an A flat above high C. On a Bb trumpet it's B flat actually, a tone away from double high C. So I take that back, it is actually Gillespie or Faddis high.
Then Miles does a very quick run in the style of what Dave Liebman just did, which played with a ternary feel would have fitted perfectly in a bebop context. Things are not always what they seem or how they came to be accepted.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #2,589 of 5,031
never expected a Miles Davis rant on this thread, just wow..

It's good, means he's still a controversial figure, after all these years. Pete Cosey's solo, joined by Lieman afterwards is quite something. That's such a great performance. Watch at 20:46 how Miles Davis makes the band stop and go while Cosey is playing. You have to face your band to do that. No one is offended by a conductor turning his/her back to the audience, it's the same here.

Oct 11, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #2,590 of 5,031
1,) Well you made your opinion quite clear, and I understand that you don't like what Miles Davis did from Bitches Brew onwards, and possibly even In A Silent Way, however dismissing his playing as early as 1948 is quite harsh. You also seem to have a confused knowledge of the history of jazz. At the time of Birth of the Cool (1948/49) Dizzy Gillespie wasn't a youngster, he was a senior figure in jazz.

2.) Miles Davis wasn't "heading in the direction of playing fewer notes" in the late 40s, he had always played like that. He was perfectly capable of playing virtuosic lines (if that's what you mean by "intellectual riffs"), but didn't want to. There are recording evidence of his capacity to play a lot of notes and first hand reports by the likes of Freddie Hubbard.

3.) Concerning the high notes, the idea that Miles Davis consciously stopped playing high notes at some point is widespread but false and originated in the content of some interviews from the late 50s being transformed over the years.

4. ) It's true that he would sometimes suddenly play one or two notes, but if you listen carefully you understand that, that was a signal to provoke some change in the music.

5.) This: "possibly trying to do a bad imitation of Chet Baker", is just nonsense, Chet Baker, was the one imitating Miles Davis' 50s playing

6. ) Bitches Brew is one of the great milestones of music whether you like it or not.

7.) I saw Botti touring with Sting, he did a fairly good job, it's difficult to come after Branford Marsalis

Edit: sorry for the lengthy post

First of all, there is no need to be sorry for writing a lengthy response.
I appreciate it, and probably, most who read what we are saying, will be entertained, and hopefully amused, and also, given a few new thoughts to consider.

I thought what i'd do for you is discuss your opinions as you are certainly full of them, and wrote a lot of your ideas, opinion based, as if they are true, and indeed, some are questionable.
So, i'll respond to the main points of your response to me in a way that allows you to read what you wrote, then read my response, as this makes the process a lot easier then reading long essays being replied to, as often this is just very counter productive to the process of ideas and info, and sharing in general.
I listed your opinions by NUMBERS, and my responses in BOLD.

1,) Well you made your opinion quite clear, and I understand that you don't like what Miles Davis did from Bitches Brew onwards, and possibly even In A Silent Way, however dismissing his playing as early as 1948 is quite harsh. You also seem to have a confused knowledge of the history of jazz. At the time of Birth of the Cool (1948/49) Dizzy Gillespie wasn't a youngster, he was a senior figure in jazz.

I did not pick a date where i stated that "from this date, day, month, or year, Miles stopped playing Bebop runs.
And regarding Dizzy...... you are confusing the legacy and the history of Jazz, as we know it now, 70 yrs later, with perceptions about Dizzy, at that time.
Dizzy was never considered equal in popularity to any of the "legends of Jazz"....not then, not now.
Chet Baker, John Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, Bill Evans, and a host of others, were at that time, and will be till the end of time, considered much more famous, much more liked, and much more pursued.
There is no "In A Silent Way" milestone of Jazz, ever created by the notes of Dizzy.
This is 2018.....and its "Dizzy who"?
You are talking about him because I brought him up, but otherwise, you are never thinking about Dizzy....:)
Do you have any Dizzy videos posted here?
You wont admit it, but i dont think you own any Dizzy music, no cds, no albums, and if you do, it was me that brought him up, mentioned him.....not you.
So, "Dizzy WHO?....>WHO?...
But its not "Bill Evans, who"? or "Chet Baker, who"..... or "Art Tatum, who".....
So, your history of jazz is missing a few links in the chain of reality regarding the difference between the perception of Dizzy and the literal popularity of all those i mentioned, and a few more.

2.) Miles Davis wasn't "heading in the direction of playing fewer notes" in the late 40s, he had always played like that. He was perfectly capable of playing virtuosic lines (if that's what you mean by "intellectual riffs"), but didn't want to. There are recording evidence of his capacity to play a lot of notes and first hand reports by the likes of Freddie Hubbard.

And its simply not true that "Miles always played like that.....fewer notes". That is nonsense.
As a matter of fact, the early Miles, the hungry Miles, the heroin free Miles Davis, was always playing exquisite bebop lines, challenging runs and riffs, and something like "In a Silent Way", or "Sketches of Spain", ......here, he was devolving from the notes to the mood music.
Probably the Heroin was taking his lip away, as you dont practice when you are high all the time for years as Miles was, and when you dont practice, you can't play the runs, and hit the high notes, and the riffs all dry up.
Such was the case with Miles.
So, what Miles did to compensate for his lack of creative inspiration and his loss of technique, was to keep hiring these hot hot bands that could jam and keep the audience entertained, while he basically just stood there in shiny clothes and dark shades pretending he was playing along.
No, they were playing, while he was pretending.
They were making cool music while he was standing there in satin trying to pretend that clothes make the man, even if you can no longer play the high notes or BLOW the amazing bebop runs.
Something else about Miles is that he had no special ability to create a really catchy riff or song.
Miles was not a great song writer, and didnt know how to write a lot of "hits".
For a comparison, you can look at all the Miles Davis releases, other then "In a Silent Way", and then just compare them to Herbie Hancock's releases.
Miles can't write a hit, Miles was not good at creating a HOOKY RIFF...... but he could captivate the Media with his commentary, and live off of his Legend.
He did this for the entire 2nd half of his life.
Miles didnt evolve, he just put stuff out, according to the record contract's demands, and the media turned them into super hype..."The next big thing"..
Miles was laughing all the way to the bank.
Now, if you want to know of a musician who got older and older but never lost his magic, never stopped playing real music, never stopped evolving, then that would be John McLaughlin.
But Miles?.......not quite.
Chet and Miles both ate heroin like candy, but Chet was not negatively musically affected by it to the same degree that Miles was affected by it.
Chet's "live in Tokyo", and "Diane", are perhaps the best things he ever recorded, and he was at the end.
Miles music at the end, does not reflect the best he ever created........ not at all.
But his bands were exceptional, and im aware that the band is not Miles.
Most of his fans dont get this, dont see it.
"oh that sounds GREAT"......yeah, thats the BAND....while Miles is tottering, slouched, horn pointed at the ground for 70 mins, while he plays about 2 mins the entire concert.

3.) Concerning the high notes, the idea that Miles Davis consciously stopped playing high notes at some point is widespread but false and originated in the content of some interviews from the late 50s being transformed over the years.

Listening to the last 30 yrs that Miles was giving concerts proves that you are just here defending your hero with love and affection, and not really listening to what he was doing with his horn.
You want to believe what you are saying, but the concerts prove your evidence is not letting the true facts get in your way.

4. ) It's true that he would sometimes suddenly play one or two notes, but if you listen carefully you understand that, that was a signal to provoke some change in the music.

Miles would sometimes have the band start, and he'd show up while they are killing it and mess up the groove with his slopping playing, horn pointed at the floor, then look at them as if they were the problem.
Have you ever actually listened to any Miles Davis concerts, with Herbie, or others?
The band kills, and Miles ruins it all.

His horn sounds like a balloon when all the air is leaving it.
He COULD put a great band together, tho.
He is similar to Steely Dan in this regard.
Get the best players, then go play and take all the credit.
Welcome to "Mile's World".

5.) This: "possibly trying to do a bad imitation of Chet Baker", is just nonsense, Chet Baker, was the one imitating Miles Davis' 50s playing

When Chet started out, he played a lot of notes, but he also played a very standard type of jazz improv, similar to Clifford Brown.
If you listen to Chet playing with "Strings" you hear the clean, precise, perfection, that is similar to Clifford Brown "with strings".
But if you listen to Chet's Live in France or later Live in Toyko , you hear the real Chet, the melodic lines, the tone just barely offering its sound, the sweetness that made Charlie Parker realize the genius coming out of Chet's horn.
Charlie, upon first hearing Chet in California, said...>"his music is pixilated"....or similar.
He was explaining that Chet has the ability to paint music in the air so that you see with your ears the entire pieces of the MOSAIC.
Something like "Diane", this album, is Chet the master.
Good luck finding anything by Miles that is sweet, melodic, and listenable, that he recorded the last 30 yrs of his life.
Mile's improv (to my ears) generally sounded like he was trying to figure out what he was playing before the 16 bars ran out, whereas someone like Chet or Bill Evans have that melodic instinct and they never lose this, no matter where they go with it as the take you along for their ride.

6. ) Bitches Brew is one of the great milestones of music whether you like it or not.

Its actually a badly recorded album, full of songs that are not very good, but the critics who worship Miles, keep hyping it, and so do the super-fans.
The reality is, noone for the last 30 yrs, plays anything from that album in their show.
The best thing about that album is the cover art, or listening to the intensity of someone telling us how great it is....as this passion is a lot better then the album, actually.... :)
Yes... the critics and the super fans, love to talk about this album and worship it.
Its just a shame that its not a very good musical experience.

7.) I saw Botti touring with Sting, he did a fairly good job, it's difficult to come after Branford Marsalis

Sting didn't enjoy playing with Branford, but did enjoy playing with Chris.
The music he made with both, is quite different, so, i'll leave it up to the listener to decide if one or the other is better, or best, or worst.
You've made up your mind not to like anything Chris has recorded since he left that group you mentioned.
Can Branford play better horn then Chris?
He plays a different style, but, i can't agree that he's a better technical player.
Listen, Harry James, is a better technical player then both of them, but, he's not someone who anybody remembers, because he didnt devote his art and life to heroin addiction and bebop madness, so, he does not register on the Jazz Times Radar of heroes, past and present.
So,
Comparing Chris and Miles, technically, is like comparing Parker and Coltrane, as an example.
Its like comparing Eddie Van Halen to Bireli Lagrene. (Guitarists).
C. Parker has the endless note stream, but did his music, the song's themselves, have the depth of what Coltrane created musically?
Which one played more melodically, regarding "Bird" and "Trane"?
And regarding Dizzy's notes....
Dizzy always bebop'd more notes then Miles, but where is Dizzy's "In a Silent Way"?

ok then, cheers.
-
-
-

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #2,591 of 5,031
never expected a Miles Davis rant on this thread, just wow..

Q,

Listen, im a lot of things. Many and multifaceted.
Among other things, im a Type A personality, with a very certain Alfa male (type) personality trait.
However, im also an Empath.
Do you know what this is, Q?
(google it ).

So, i want you to know that i feel your frustration, and i have now written a 2nd detailed conversation regarding Miles Davis that should help your "wow", feel a whole lot better.

And now a few things, also just for you.....

Q, the longer you live, the more you'll get to experience what you didn't expect to discover.
"thats life".

So, the best way for you to prepare for this certain eventuality that befalls us all, is to " always expect the unexpected."

And you know, Q, "suffering.... is resistance to what is ", .... and so, the more you learn to roll with it all, the better you will exist to deal with it.

fb1

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #2,592 of 5,031
you are certainly full of them, and wrote a lot of your ideas, opinion based, as if they are true

It's quite obvious that you're talking about yourself here. I agree, every opinion is questionable and opened to discussion. However, that Dizzy Gillespie was 9 years older than Miles Davis, that he was already well established and a respected musician by the time Miles Davis started his own career is a fact. By 1948, Gillespie had participated in the creation of what would be later called bebop, played in Charlie Parker's quintet, he had led his own big band (in which Kenny Dorham and Sonny Stitt were playing) and played the Carnegie Hall, launched the Afro Cuban style with songs like Manteca and Cubana-be Cubana-bop (Written and arranged by George Russell). He was an influence on the young Miles Davis, to the point that critics of the time thought Davis was a pale imitation of Gillespie. All these are entirely verifiable facts.

you are confusing the legacy and the history of Jazz, as we know it now, 70 yrs later

Absolutely not, I know the difference very well, thank you.

As a matter of fact, the early Miles, the hungry Miles, the heroin free Miles Davis, was always playing exquisite bebop lines, challenging runs and riffs

Yes, I agree. Still he wasn't as volubile as Dizzy Gillespie or Fats Navarro. "Fewer notes" is always going to be a relative consideration, I pointed out that he was capable of playing intricate lines, and there are plenty of recorded evidence of that, but generally speaking Miles Davis was a more restrained and relaxed player than Gillespie, Navarro or Clark Terry for example. Davis admitted himself in interviews that he was focusing on playing the most beautiful notes, not as many notes as he could (another verifiable fact).

When Chet started out, he played a lot of notes, but he also played a very standard type of jazz improv, similar to Clifford Brown

I don't understand what you mean by that. Do you mean that playing a lot of note is different from a standard type of jazz improvisation? So you can't play a lot of notes in a "standard" jazz improvisation? Where is the logic in that? Ar you making reference to the piano-less quartet with Mulligan, because, yes, he was playing complex lines in there, but I never said he wasn't capable of doing it. I just pointed out that Baker was modelling his playing on Miles Davis' playing, something he admitted himself in interviews. You will never find me saying bad things about Chet Baker as I admire him very much, and I agree with "Diane" with Paul Bley is a masterpiece.

Something else about Miles is that he had no special ability to create a really catchy riff or song

Oh yes, So What is not catchy. Black Satin, Solar, Milestones, Jean-Pierre are not catchy.

Miles was not a great song writer, and didnt know how to write a lot of "hits"

Yeah, the millions of people who have played his tunes and will play his tunes will certainly agree with that. But that's your opinion and you have every right to think that.

Good luck finding anything by Miles that is sweet, melodic, and listenable, that he recorded the last 30 yrs of his life

You're funny. So from 1961 onwards, Miles Davis has not recorded anything sweet, melodic and listenable?! Er...Someday my prince will come, Footprints, In a Silent Way, Tout De Suite, Time after time, Going Home on Dingo, Mr Pastorius on Amandla and Live around the World...

Sting didn't enjoy playing with Branford, but did enjoy playing with Chris.

Oh I didn't know Sting was a masochist, inviting someone he doesn't like playing with on 5 of his albums and on at least one date of his Symphonicities tour. Honestly, were are you taking that from?

Do you have any Dizzy videos posted here?
You wont admit it, but i dont think you own any Dizzy music, no cds, no albums, and if you do, it was me that brought him up, mentioned him.....not you

Oh you brought him up, and so what? How old are you...5? As I'm writing I just have to turn my head to look at the mosaic box set of Dizzy Gillespie's Small Group Sessions for Verve and Philips. And since I have to post a youtube link to prove my liking and knowledge of Gillespie, there you go, one of my favourite albums, composed and arranged by J.J. Johnson and conducted by Gunther Schuller:

I'm going to stop there, because I've wasted enough of my time with you and I would have to comment on every line you wrote, since you wrote so much nonsense.
Miles Davis' music and legacy speaks for itself. You're not even capable of noticing the influence he had on Chris Botti, which is obvious.

https://jazztimes.com/features/chris-botti-kinds-of-brood/

http://jazzonline.com/the-miles-davis-podcast/miles-davis-podcast-chris-botti.html

Again I have great respect for Chris Botti.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #2,593 of 5,031
Q,

Listen, im a lot of things. Many and multifaceted.
Among other things, im a Type A personality, with a very certain Alfa male (type) personality trait.
However, im also an Empath.
Do you know what this is, Q?
(google it ).

So, i want you to know that i feel your frustration, and i have now written a 2nd detailed conversation regarding Miles Davis that should help your "wow", feel a whole lot better.

And now a few things, also just for you.....

Q, the longer you live, the more you'll get to experience what you didn't expect to discover.
"thats life".

So, the best way for you to prepare for this certain eventuality that befalls us all, is to " always expect the unexpected."

And you know, Q, "suffering.... is resistance to what is ", .... and so, the more you learn to roll with it all, the better you will exist to deal with it.

fb1

Yep, you forgot, condescending and patronising.

Oct 12, 2018 at 7:34 AM Post #2,595 of 5,031
Can Branford play better horn then Chris?

On last thing, this is not what I meant. I never said that one was playing better than the other, they are very different cats. Although between the two, I prefer Branford Marsalis' music. Marsalis has left such a mark on Sting's music that it's difficult to come after him, and indeed, Botti followed closely Marsalis' solo on Englishman in New York for his own solo during the show I've seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back