On a mission to like jazz
Jan 8, 2016 at 9:32 AM Post #1,516 of 5,063
Posted this on the "hfb - Zones - top 50 albums of 2015" thread, figured it might be of interest here as well. Interested in anyone else's list!

OK, don't know if these are the "Best" albums of the last year, so much stuff out there, hard to keep up. These are some that I liked, with a different angle to them, more in the left of center jazz world, with some indie/punk for good measure (in no particular order except that they appear on my Pono this way).

Miles Davis At Newport1955-1975, The Bootleg Series V4
The Bad Plus Joshua Redman
Birdcalls-Rudresh Mahanthappa
Break Stuff-Vijay Iyer Trio
Double Brein 2-Georg Breinschmid
The Epic-Kamasi Washington (think it's a bit overhyped, but it is good)
I Want to Grow Up-Colleen Green
In For a Penny, In For a Pound-Henry Threadgill Zooid
The Phosphorescent Blues-The Punch Brothers
Snowy Egret-Myra Melford
This is the Day-Giovanni Guidi Trio
Ye Old-Jacob Garchik
You've been Watching Me-Tim Bernes Snakeoil
Sleater-Kinney-No Cities to Love

Records I've listened to the most (from last year), just my $0.02

Jan 9, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #1,518 of 5,063
Enjoying this album on Tidal at the moment...

Christian McBride (Bass), Javon Jackson (Tenor Sax), Jimmy Cobb (Drums) and Cedar Walton (Piano) - New York Time

https://youtu.be/ev-hc6DDGZk

tidal.com/album/51967115

Jan 9, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #1,519 of 5,063
I saw Christian McBride with a big band this past summer...man, is he a monster!

Jan 10, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #1,520 of 5,063
I saw Christian McBride with a big band this past summer...man, is he a monster!

Maybe the most respected "younger" bassist in jazz today period!  I was floored seeing him on Jimmy Fallon back in Oct just playing in the band  (like...what was a hardcore deep jazz guy doing on Jimmy Fallon show?What) .  He's a beast and plays upright and electric equally as fluent. (and bow too)

I mean he's in his mid-40's....not young but he has quite the resume.  When it's all said and done he will be a legend like Dave Holland, no question.

Jan 10, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #1,521 of 5,063
You could argue Dave Holland has created his own world sonically, compositionally, aside from his chops. But McBride is a fabulous musician, with a really distinctive style.

Jan 10, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #1,523 of 5,063
Sounds fabulous...really exploring the deep.

Jan 11, 2016 at 10:25 PM Post #1,524 of 5,063
McBride versatility is wide as well.  The double cd release "Live at Tonic" is......hard to describe...new age, new world, avante garde?.....it's hardcore but a great "LIVE" recording that catches the vibe of the band and audience.
He holds total command of the band on every song.  Never have seen him but seems like a natural live talent.

Jan 12, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #1,525 of 5,063

When it's all said and done he will be a legend like Dave Holland, no question.

IMO Christian McBride is a modern day legend right now!  Such a prolific musician, he's been at the top of his game for awhile now.  I own so many records with him as a sideman but one of my absolute favorites would be the live record he recorded with Sting; All This Time, the ONLY record I know of recorded on 9/11/01.  I saw the documentary of this record, in it Sting holds a group meeting to discuss the events of the day and whether or not they should cancel the show (taking place in Italy) and they unanimously decided that the show must go on.  There's a beautiful spirit in the music on this recording.

BTW
  McBride versatility is wide as well.  The double cd release "Live at Tonic" is......hard to describe...new age, new world, avante garde?.....it's hardcore but a great "LIVE" recording that catches the vibe of the band and audience.

Not trying to 'scare' anyone away from 'Live At Tonic' (actually, Tonic is a very generous triple CD!)but the 1st word/genre that pops into my mind when I think of this great record is Fusion!  On Tonic there's a killa version of Boogie Woogie Waltz (Weather Report), Bitches Brew (Miles), and 2 tunes/jams titled with the word Mwandishi (Herbie Hancock).  Another great record feat. McBride would be the late, great George Duke's 'Face The Music', a fun funk/fusion outing!

Jan 12, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #1,527 of 5,063
Have a ticket to see CMcB live end of Feb. at JALC, NYC
wink.gif
I will check out the "At the Tonic" recording.
edit:
... not my cup of tea (Tonic session), I like the latest "Live At The Village Vanguard" better.

Jan 12, 2016 at 7:51 PM Post #1,528 of 5,063
He's at JALC, have to look into it, show last summer was great!

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #1,529 of 5,063
RE: "Live at Tonic"...a great live recording in every sense.  But a lot to digest and maybe not for everyone.  A jazz fan buddy of mine who I respect is NOT a fan of the release and his one main problem with it is that it "seems like they forgot to turn the page on the music."  (some of the songs seem stuck and just go on and on and on....jam after jam...).  It's a fair point.  The 30 minute EJam song is an example.

But I generally like the release.  Fantastic vibe for a live release.  "Technicolor Nightmare" fricken ROCKS!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back