On a budget, headphone or IEM suggestion
Oct 19, 2013 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

pancakeplease

100+ Head-Fier
In the past I've had the Shure SRH840 coupled with a high end Denon receiver used as a headphone amp and the sound was incredible. However, I had to get rid of the rig because it was too big (the receiver was heavy, emitted a lot of heat and I only used it for the headphones. And I also needed money at the time. 

I was satisfied with the SRH840 being my first set of headphones PERIOD. Never had headphones before. I started focusing more on sound and music learned from this forum. The SRH840 was very.. how should I say it. Balanced. It wasn't natural or vibrant, but very ... balanced. I was satisfied with the bass in the headphones, it had good sound through all the ranges. But after about a year or so, I was kind of bored of the sound. The sound wasn't ALIVE. Also it was heavy and very bulky. Only used for desktop listening.

I am looking for another headphone now.. I know many audiophiles say the Beats by Dre are crap and I was at bestbuy today and decided to try them out. Never heard them before. They for sure aren't accurate. They're not the best quality or clear (at least the solo and DJ model) but they are FUN. It's very vibrant. Makes you feel good. Goes great with the new pop and electronic dance type music. Probably not the best for sound reproduction and accuracy. 

I was HIGHLY impressed by Beats Executive. I didn't really feel the others but the Executive had the perfect sound I was looking for. Just something to use to listen to my music and that will make me feel good. Are there any headphones that are comparable alternatives to the Executive Beats by Dre? $299 for beats? No way. I'd pay $150 max. 

One option is to buy used. Or if there are better headphones for cheaper, even better. I'm trying to spend $100. But will flex if the difference between $100 and $150 is huge. 
I heard the V-Moda are good, they are about $160 retail on amazon but used I can probably find them for $75. 

I want balanced but fun and vibrant sounds. Very much like SRH840 but more alive. I want "alive" or "vibrant' without giving up a deep sound stage and clarify. Sometimes just playing music LOUDER just sounds good but it's short lived. I dont like sound that sounds very clumped together AKA speaker effect. I want to have some sort of perception that highs are coming from here, guitar and strings from this area, etc. large and wide sound stage, clarity, balanced and very fun. 
Executive was a pretty good fit. 

Any suggestions??

Mainly the reason why I am thinking headphones over IEM because IEM lacks the nice and wide soundstage. But some have very good clarity. Will be mostly used at home but wouldn't mind it being portable. SRH840 was TOO unportable.. very bulky. 

tl;dr  Headphone that sound like Beats Executive without the $299 price tag. Attributes: very fun sound without compromising clarify and wide sound stage. Overall balanced in every range. I dont like shrill sounds, like warm or very heavenly(?) sounds. 
I listen to EVERYTHING and every genre which is why I want balanced (But not natural). FUN sounding.. aka above average bass, clarity in voice. 
Loving bass when listening to electro, trance, dance and having the female vocal be so clear and off to the side that it gives me chills. Also listening to country or guitar and being able to hear the twing when plucking the strings. A full and wide sound when listening to pop and hip hop. Complexity is good. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back