OMG ???? WTH ????
Jul 3, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #17 of 35
Holy crap!!!!

Jul 3, 2006 at 1:12 PM Post #21 of 35
Unreal, had to get my wife to listen as well. She is better than many if not most of what passes today for "seasoned singers".
cool.gif

Jul 3, 2006 at 1:52 PM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
Pah, I manage better performances on the karaoke machine after 9 pints. So my memory tells me anyway.

-seriously though- thats nuts. Btw, whats Piers Morgan doing over stateside judging pop idol programmes? Hes only a class D celeb over here, and thats for generally being a bit of an idiotic twit.

We seem to get all the idiotic twits from the U.K. over here. And most of them are pop star judges. Just figured you guys were cleaning house over there. It's OK though because we're sending you Rush Limbaugh and Joan Rivers as payback.

Amazing little girl BTW. Let's hope she doesn't end up like so many who start out too young. Record companies are brutal.

Jul 3, 2006 at 2:45 PM Post #23 of 35
That little girl is something else, thanks for sharing that.

If I were to nit-pick (and I am talking about really digging to find a nit-pick), she went sharp a couple of times. But overall, she is better than 98% of most adult singers who are popular these days. She is definately a gifted young lady and I hope she goes far (without self-destructing).

I loved the reaction from 'whatsherface' (the forgettable pop singer judge) - she looked like she saw a ghost or something, she fully understood just how amazing that performance was. As for the other twit of a judge (the non-Hasselhoff one) - what a wingnut. I think his brain malfunctioned for a moment there, telling a little girl to change her look. He was clearly dumbfounded and confused over what he just witnessed (an adult voice comming out of a pre-pubescent little girl). As such, he somehow expects this little girl to dress up like a little tramp or someting? Give me a break.

Jul 3, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #24 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan
That little girl is something else, thanks for sharing that.

If I were to nit-pick (and I am talking about really digging to find a nit-pick), she went sharp a couple of times. But overall, she is better than 98% of most adult singers who are popular these days. She is definately a gifted young lady and I hope she goes far (without self-destructing).

I loved the reaction from 'whatsherface' (the forgettable pop singer judge) - she looked like she saw a ghost or something, she fully understood just how amazing that performance was. As for the other twit of a judge (the non-Hasselhoff one) - what a wingnut. I think his brain malfunctioned for a moment there, telling a little girl to change her look. He was clearly dumbfounded and confused over what he just witnessed (an adult voice comming out of a pre-pubescent little girl). As such, he somehow expects this little girl to dress up like a little tramp or someting? Give me a break.

Didn't you hear? They did a makeover on her last week. That's her in your avatar.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 3, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #25 of 35
She'll have no vocal chords left by 30, maybe 25. Why do parents allow this?
frown.gif
You cannot stretch the growing voice to do this and expect it to develop normally. Any classically trained voice teacher with their salt will tell you that.

Edit - I know a lot of you probably think I'm over-cautious here, but seriously, it's insanely stupid to push the chords like that when you only think they're ready, but they're still growing and changing. No reputable voice teacher would allow it. And if you wonder when I would think it's ok to crank the voice into gear, I think it's safe to start around 14 or so. Not with singing of course, you can start singing whenever you can talk... I mean the serious pushing, really getting that head-voice going. Around 14 or so, or whenever you're safely out of puberty. The body will still develop, but under the guidance of a caring voice teacher it should all be good.

Until then you can play around with choirs (none of that adult solo crap, if so - bad bad director), you can learn how to sing correctly, and you can learn all about music, but don't really push those chords until your body is done with most of its radical changing, and for heaven's sakes get a good voice teacher, someone who is knowledgable, has performing credits, and in a perfect world - a similar voice type (although the voice can always change no matter how old you are).

Jul 4, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
She'll have no vocal chords left by 30, maybe 25. Why do parents allow this?
frown.gif
You cannot stretch the growing voice to do this and expect it to develop normally. Any classically trained voice teacher with their salt will tell you that.

Edit - I know a lot of you probably think I'm over-cautious here, but seriously, it's insanely stupid to push the chords like that when you only think they're ready, but they're still growing and changing. No reputable voice teacher would allow it. And if you wonder when I would think it's ok to crank the voice into gear, I think it's safe to start around 14 or so. Not with singing of course, you can start singing whenever you can talk... I mean the serious pushing, really getting that head-voice going. Around 14 or so, or whenever you're safely out of puberty. The body will still develop, but under the guidance of a caring voice teacher it should all be good.

Until then you can play around with choirs (none of that adult solo crap, if so - bad bad director), you can learn how to sing correctly, and you can learn all about music, but don't really push those chords until your body is done with most of its radical changing, and for heaven's sakes get a good voice teacher, someone who is knowledgable, has performing credits, and in a perfect world - a similar voice type (although the voice can always change no matter how old you are).

Good advice, methinks.

Laz

Jul 4, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short
Good advice, methinks.

Laz

I've been lucky to have some really awesome voice teachers, but one in particular is the one I usually quote here. She had wanted to write a book about it, and I wish she would just do it already. She was a really wonderful teacher, and she helped many parents with these young prodigy types as well. A lot of them went on to voice teachers who told them what they wanted to hear though.
frown.gif

Jul 4, 2006 at 7:34 AM Post #28 of 35
I had the same reaction I had when I saw charlotte church the first time when she was 13 iirc. wow, just wow. It will be a shame if she doesn't ease off for a few years...

Jul 4, 2006 at 8:57 AM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
she can enter American Idol competition.

Now I want to hear a 11 year old boy sing with a big voice.

I'm pretty sure she's too young to be on American Idol, which is probably why she's on this talent show instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back