omg the ps-1's are speakers
Jun 9, 2004 at 7:28 AM Post #62 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
i think that would be murder.......dont hurt them

are you referring to my post? but that is exaclty what I am going to (well, planning on anyways) do once I get back. gpalmer and I have the only two gilmore balanced references that currently exist.

I may get an RS-1 or HD-650 in balanced termination though... but no balanced PS-1's for me yet.

Jun 9, 2004 at 8:34 AM Post #64 of 77
Quote:

yes i was, ohh you boys and the balance issue.....lol

thank god im not into that....................yet

The Final Frontier.......
tongue.gif
icon10.gif

Jun 9, 2004 at 8:36 AM Post #65 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
Tom is being very studly on this issue and I think demonstrating tremendous self-control and discipline, I even offered him the loan of my pair after the Southern California meet and he turned them down. I'm guessing he'll last about two weeks before ordering them!
evil_smiley.gif

I can't...I just bought another source last night. As soon as it gets here it's on it's way to modwright.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Jun 9, 2004 at 9:01 AM Post #67 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
so... how about if the PS-1 is running unbalanced off of the gilmore balanced reference?
smily_headphones1.gif

Not the same big guy, it's just not the same, you can test it out for yourself this weekend!
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
I may get an RS-1 or HD-650 in balanced termination though... but no balanced PS-1's for me yet.

We'll see after this weekend's meet, I'm betting there's a set of PS-1s heading for a close encounter with some new wires and XLR connectors after it.
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
The Final Frontier.......
tongue.gif
icon10.gif

Heh, it's one I'd love to explore with a Supra XLR!
tongue.gif

Quote:

I can't...I just bought another source last night. As soon as it gets here it's on it's way to modwright.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Ooh, Ooh, What'd you get, what'd you get? I thought you were looking at an Audio Aero player, but I don't think you'd be sending that to ModWright. If it happens to be a Denon 5900 going for the Universal Truth Tube Mods I really want to hear all the juicy little tidbits of information you can provide. I'm been sitting down and planning my acquisitions and what gear needs to go for the next year and that is one in the acquisitions column that's been tantilizing me...
tongue.gif

Quote:

do it there is no wait, imagine your ears being oh so happy...come on make your ears happy

Heh, I'm betting my ears would be pretty durn happy with Tom's system just as it is!
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2004 at 12:14 PM Post #68 of 77
the only reason why im telling people to buy them is because thats the truth, youll know what i and every other are talking about ounce you get them.
I look back and ask why didnt i buy these before, cause no one said shut up and buy them...thats it

lol

hell i dont care if you do or dont personally, if you dont it might be better for me cause less sets are order then less made then more value on mine....lol

Jun 9, 2004 at 5:30 PM Post #69 of 77
Quote:

Not the same big guy, it's just not the same, you can test it out for yourself this weekend!
tongue.gif

We'll see after this weekend's meet, I'm betting there's a set of PS-1s heading for a close encounter with some new wires and XLR connectors after it.
evil_smiley.gif

Heh, it's one I'd love to explore with a Supra XLR!
tongue.gif

Ooh, Ooh, What'd you get, what'd you get? I thought you were looking at an Audio Aero player, but I don't think you'd be sending that to ModWright. If it happens to be a Denon 5900 going for the Universal Truth Tube Mods I really want to hear all the juicy little tidbits of information you can provide. I'm been sitting down and planning my acquisitions and what gear needs to go for the next year and that is one in the acquisitions column that's been tantilizing me...
tongue.gif

Heh, I'm betting my ears would be pretty durn happy with Tom's system just as it is!
biggrin.gif

I picked up one of the Sony 999ES to have the truth tube mods done on. After hearing how good the SACDmods 555ES is I thought I need to see how good the modwright mods will be. A friend of a friend has one and has been going crazy over it, so what the heck. I think it will be quite the CDP for total cost around $2K.(1300.00 for the mods and picked up the player used) I can't say until it gets done but judging by how good the 555 is I think this should be AT LEAST on the level of the Cary. To be honest I will be bummed if it doesn't surpass it. Time will tell.
icon10.gif

Jun 10, 2004 at 5:03 AM Post #70 of 77
Well,

Having owned the PS-1's since last Friday, My early impressions are that these are indeed stunningly good headphones, if, very, very different than my CD3000's, which, previously, I had preferred to everything else out there. Excepting maybe the K1000's, which I love for acoustic stuff.
The bass reproduction capability of the PS1's is just astounding. It has incredible depth, impact and presence. I think what impresses me most, in that regard, is not necessarily the obvious bass of selected passages of music that optimize that ability, but the residual and continuing bass elements in so much of the music that I know extremely well, but had forgotten was really there since moving almost completely to headphone listening a few years back. There are entire passages in songs that comprise some of my favorite listening that suddenly have an added overlaid or background bass component that adds back a dimension thats continually surprising.
There is obviously much more to the PS-1's than this, but I need more time with them before commenting further.
I can, more or less agree with those who are knocking them based on comfort. They are quite heavy, they do indeed clamp against your ears somewhat unpleasantly , and yes, they just arent very comfortable (I'm commenting on this using flat pads, which are a requirement). However, they arent THAT bad, and its worth it to me to deal with those issues to get this level of sound reproduction. I've been listening to them (and thus, "wearing" them for 2.5-3 hours each of the past few nights and have survived the questionable comfort. Likely you could too!
And wasnt there a full fledged review supposedly on the way from one of our illustrious members who has owned them for a quite a while now? <g>

JC

Jun 10, 2004 at 5:12 AM Post #72 of 77
Quote:

I picked up one of the Sony 999ES to have the truth tube mods done on. After hearing how good the SACDmods 555ES is I thought I need to see how good the modwright mods will be. A friend of a friend has one and has been going crazy over it, so what the heck. I think it will be quite the CDP for total cost around $2K.(1300.00 for the mods and picked up the player used) I can't say until it gets done but judging by how good the 555 is I think this should be AT LEAST on the level of the Cary. To be honest I will be bummed if it doesn't surpass it. Time will tell.
icon10.gif

I have a feeling you'll be really happy, I did about the same with my Pioneer 38a several years ago. It was $800 used and I plunked 1200 or so into the mods and it is a wonderful player. If it weren't for the fact that I am moving into the area where balanced outputs are required I would hands down go for the ModWright gear.

Jun 10, 2004 at 5:38 AM Post #74 of 77
Quote:

when listening to heavy metal i am in a habit of taking them off and poping my ears out, or moving my jaw around. like if im in a plane

Comfort issues?

Quote:

its half way up on the ra-1 but it doesnt hurt like being to high, i think its the mass bass ??????

Probably because it isn't distorting in the same manner as it has with other headphones you've tried. You get something for your money!

Jun 10, 2004 at 5:44 AM Post #75 of 77
Quote:

Comfort issues?

Probably because it isn't distorting in the same manner as it has with other headphones you've tried. You get something for your money!

its not a comfort issue infact i barely notice im doing it, but why would i have to pop my ears only in metal, some kind of peasure cause of the bass? weight should be the prob???

thanx gpalmer come out to chicago i make you a espresso....lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back