OMG THE DECAYS ARE INCREDIBLE!!!!!
Dec 22, 2006 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Sean.Perrin

100+ Head-Fier
AHHH!! The Ety ER4P has been an experience ever since I got them a week or so ago.

I can't believe that when listening to live piano performances I am able to know exactly when the pedal is used because you can so excellently hear the notes decaying and if theyare stopped, exactly where it happens!

I laughed out loud the other day at my desk as well... a crash cymbal in a Perfect Circle song had a decay of eight bars, and the drummer kept hitting it every eight bars. It was like the decays I was now hearing were adding new phrasing to the music.

When listening to solo clarinet music I can hear subtle breaths and air leaking from the corners of the players mouth as he or she plays passages that require more air pressure. The resonance of the notes in the hall is presented to me in these cans as well as it would have been in the concert hall... it's amazing!!!

Sorry for this post but I am AMAZED!!!!

Dec 22, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 33
Haha, I think that makes you a detail-head. IEMs tend to do that to people.
eggosmile.gif

Dec 22, 2006 at 11:49 PM Post #3 of 33
what i found out is that with IEM's the music is actually coming from inside your brain NOT from your portable device that you think it is.

Dec 22, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by idiotekniQues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what i found out is that with IEM's the music is actually coming from inside your brain NOT from your portable device that you think it is.

blink.gif

I think it's coming from my iPod... maybe it's all in my head!

Dec 23, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 33
Yes! Yes! YES!! Excellent description of the Etys. This is why the Etys are especially superb for acoustic music, particularly classical. These aren't just details for "detail-heads". Your example of pedal technique is a good case in point. These are the musical nuances that help make a Sviatoslav Richter performance a Sviatoslav Richter performance. This is what you will hear in the concert hall. Well chosen, and good listening....

Dec 23, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #7 of 33
You are clearly wrong. Everybody knows that the ER4 cuts the decay time of everything drastically short.
wink.gif

Dec 23, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are clearly wrong. Everybody knows that the ER4 cuts the decay time of everything drastically short.
wink.gif

And don't forget that they also have no bass.. well, not below about 18Hz anyway
tongue.gif

Dec 23, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean.Perrin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't believe that when listening to live piano performances I am able to know exactly when the pedal is used because you can so excellently hear the notes decaying and if theyare stopped, exactly where it happens!

That's not decay, it's sustain. Which is why it's called a "sustain" pedal.
wink.gif

But I'm glad you really like your Ety's. Congratulations on your new toy!
etysmile.gif

Dec 23, 2006 at 5:46 AM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by procreate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's not decay, it's sustain. Which is why it's called a "sustain" pedal.
wink.gif

But I'm glad you really like your Ety's. Congratulations on your new toy!
etysmile.gif

I'm a music major... I know that it's the sustain pedal. Thank you... lol.

Nonetheless, even when the sustain pedal is held the notes are decaying, it is not like a trumpet where the air pressure remains constant if the player wants it too. The sustain pedal just allows the notes to decay at their natural unimpeded rate instead of cutting the sound off with dampeners.

basshead.gif

Dec 23, 2006 at 6:24 AM Post #11 of 33
hehe. the other day, i was listening to the alanis morrisette live cd on my er4 and realized that the weird sound that i'd been hearing on my previous phones was actually somebody inhaling really hard next to a mic.

Dec 23, 2006 at 6:28 AM Post #12 of 33
AARGH!! My wallet hates threads like this! After grooving with the FX33 for a couple weeks, I've decided I need MUCH better detail resolution from my portable isolating cans.
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2006 at 6:39 AM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

I'm a music major... I know that it's the sustain pedal. Thank you... lol.

Also correct. I thought you were talking about decay in the sense of the ADSR envelope as I see some people here being confused about that. A little analog synth programming would help here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2006 at 9:51 AM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by procreate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also correct. I thought you were talking about decay in the sense of the ADSR envelope as I see some people here being confused about that. A little analog synth programming would help here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh I see where you were coming from.

We'll agree on this I'm sure...

The Ety's are ABSOOOOO****KKIIIIINGLUTLY GREEEEEEEEEEEAT at sustaining notes... even ones which are decaying!

OH **** YA!!!!!!!!!

Dec 23, 2006 at 9:58 AM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Oh I see where you were coming from.

We'll agree on this I'm sure...

Of course we agree. It's just that "decay" has two different meanings, both valid. I wrongly assumed you referred to the other meaning
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

The Ety's are ABSOOOOO****KKIIIIINGLUTLY GREEEEEEEEEEEAT at sustaining notes... even ones which are decaying!

And the highs, oh those highs.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back