OMG, Rio Carbon is only $159 with the $20 rebate on Amazon!
Mar 8, 2005 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

LoveablePuppy

New Head-Fier
The rio carbon is 179 -20$ rebate=159 and the rio carbon pearl is now 199.

I just ordered a Zen Micro (amazon.com hasnt shipped it out yet) more than a week ago for $223.

I'm debating if I should cancel my order. The rio carbon offer is a pretty damn good deal. what do you folks think, should i cancel my order and get the Rio carbon instead or maybe get the rio carbon pearl.

Or should I go ahead and keep the zen micro order. if the zen micro breaks down on me within the warranty period, have creative replace it, sell it to make money, so i can buy a rio carbon?

what do you folks think? i wasnt even considering the rio carbon, until the price drop.

Mar 8, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #2 of 15
I am planning on getting my e2c's from Amazon soon. I personally would stick with the micro. I loved mine. I just returned it so I could get a 4gb and the portable speakers for the same price. And I didnt have even 1Gb a music so it didnt matter. It was a great product to me. I never had any real problems, no headphone jack messed up or freezing up or anything. And I installed the new firmware and it was fine. Just drag and drop the songs, never had to even touch the cd. The 2 minor minor problems i had was that sometimes when i was in the menu i would often scroll past the thing i wanted to get to and that the random play all didnt play some of my songs. And if you consider the Carbon please dont pay $40 just for a pearl color.

Mar 8, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 15
I would personally get the Carbon. In fact, I did.
tongue.gif

Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer the tactile buttons as opposed to the touch-sensitive buttons. I frequently pause/skip/etc my Carbon when the unit is in a pocket. The form factor of the Carbon is more pocket-friendly too (easier to slip in). Battery life is also tons better with the Carbon, although it is a non-replaceable one (doesn't matter to me since by the time the battery dies, I'll have long moved on to my next player).

The biggest factor that drew me to the Carbon was its UMS capabilities. I have several computers that I hook the Carbon up to, and I hate installing unnecessary software, especially on so many PCs. Drag 'n drop is the only way to go for me.

The Micro has the FM radio going for it, so if you think you'll be listening to the radio frequently, then stick with the Creative.

They're both great players, so I don't think you can go wrong with either. Just sit down and figure out which features are more important to you and go with the one that meets the majority of your needs.

Mar 9, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #6 of 15
drag and drop works great for me. but i dont use in since i have a bunch of my playlists on WMP10 and syncing is alot easier than figuring what music is on the micro than whats not.

Mar 9, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #7 of 15
does anyone know if the Carbon supports FLAC? i'm tired of waiting for the Chroma, and i'm itching to get a new DAP. it's either the Carbon (if it plays FLAC) or the Karma (which i'm sure plays FLAC). i'm aiming a bit towards the Carbon because if i get the Karma, i prolly would end up getting the Chroma anyway. mind as well get something more pocketable in the meantime...

anyway, i'm rambling. if someone can confirm that the Carbon can play FLAC, it'll be greatly appreciated!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong
does anyone know if the Carbon supports FLAC? i'm tired of waiting for the Chroma, and i'm itching to get a new DAP. it's either the Carbon (if it plays FLACK) or the Karma (which i'm sure plays FLAC). i'm aiming a bit towards the Carbon because if i get the Karma, i prolly would end up getting the Chroma anyway. mind as well get something more pocketable in the meantime...

anyway, i'm rambling. if someone can confirm that the Carbon can play FLAC, it'll be greatly appreciated!
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't think it does. The Rio website states: "Plays MP3, WMA & Audible®"

Mar 9, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by naddy
Aren't the micros drag and drop now also just like the carbons?

I honestly don't know (haven't kept up with specs after I bought the Carbon). That's great if they do. I hate the fact that some DAPs don't support UMS. That's the main thing that has kept me from getting an iPod.

No, the last I checked, the Carbon does not support FLAC (or OGG either).

Mar 9, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #10 of 15
hmm... sounds like i'll be getting the Karma then. on Rio's site it doesn't mention that the Karma plays FLAC, but i believe it does.

Mar 9, 2005 at 5:15 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong
hmm... sounds like i'll be getting the Karma then. on Rio's site it doesn't mention that the Karma plays FLAC, but i believe it does.

It does.

And it actually does say it, under "key features."

Mar 9, 2005 at 5:40 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by D-EJ915
Whatever happened to the smaller version of the Carbon??

Also...Hitachi has some new 8GB and 10GB super-micro drives (they're smaller, thinner and consume less power) W00T!!
biggrin.gif

Not out yet.

It's actually not physically smaller, anyways.

Mar 9, 2005 at 5:52 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by IstariAsuka
Not out yet.

It's actually not physically smaller, anyways.

The 10gb one is. i saw PCmag compare the size and the new 10gb on is thinner and shorter but same width.

Mar 9, 2005 at 6:07 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
The 10gb one is. i saw PCmag compare the size and the new 10gb on is thinner and shorter but same width.

I meant the 2.5GB Carbon.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back