OMG new Maudlin of the Well
May 14, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's finally out, and it's available for free. 100% legally. In mp3, wav and flac. Everyone get it NOW.

maudlin of the Well - Part The Second - Downloads

Well Free is a good start, but is that a legit site? I am unfamiliar with that and don't like to randomly download new stuff. Any thoughts?

May 14, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #3 of 25
I've been awaiting the new album as well and it's FREE!! Yes, the site is legit and these guys are awesome.

May 14, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #4 of 25
It's the band's official site... Toby Driver is a legit dude, he wouldn't upload viruses. I hadn't realized that the new motW album was out, thanks for this. Did anyone donate to Toby and get a producer credit?

May 14, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #5 of 25
Thanks for the information. Good to know its a legit site.

May 14, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #6 of 25
Just downloaded the album; thanks for the heads up.
Have never heard anything by them before-can you explain their style of music and, is this album a good starting point?

May 14, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just downloaded the album; thanks for the heads up.
Have never heard anything by them before-can you explain their style of music and, is this album a good starting point?

IMO - no, this is not a good starting point. The best starting point for motW remains Bath and Leaving Your Body Map - one after the other.

Their style of music is, in short, avant-garde metal. It's very unpredictable, fusing a diverse mix of styles throughout. At surface level, that might not sound like anything you haven't heard before if you listen to "avant-garde" music in a general sense, but motW tends to have a very dreamlike, ethereal presentation. The sound as a whole is a little difficult to capture in words outside of a full-blown review.

You would enjoy it, I think.

May 15, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by asmox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO - no, this is not a good starting point. The best starting point for motW remains Bath and Leaving Your Body Map - one after the other.

This is quite true!

Wow! This is stellar news! Downloading the album as we speak!

May 15, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #10 of 25
Is their site giving fast downloads to those of you who have fast net? Like what max download speeds are you seeing?

May 15, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #11 of 25
YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhh!!

Big fan of all of their albums
smily_headphones1.gif

May 15, 2009 at 10:26 AM Post #12 of 25
Except this one.

Just listened to it then, there are fragments of the music that had the "maudlin of the well" feel to but they are scarce. There's some beautiful parts in the music, especially with the Violin and Cello but I don't really like the direction they took with this album. It's clear that they aren't really influenced by metal or a lot of the things that inspired early Maudlin anymore. What I do hear is more reminiscent of Toby Driver solo stuff and Kayo Dot.

May 15, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #13 of 25
Hmm... I'm halfway through, and this sounds more like motW than Kayo Dot to my ears. This still has rock elements in it more strongly than Kayo Dot, which always struck me as is more plodding, atmospheric stuff. Whatever the difference, however subtle, I'm enjoying this far more than I ever enjoyed Kayo Dot.

Very happy with this so far!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 15, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's clear that they aren't really influenced by metal or a lot of the things that inspired early Maudlin anymore. What I do hear is more reminiscent of Toby Driver solo stuff and Kayo Dot.

Agreed.

However, even though it's more reminiscent of Kayo Dot than classic motW, this album is still better (to my ears) than anything that Kayo Dot ever released. I'll take it.

May 16, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #15 of 25
I didn't expect this at all. I thought motW had disbanded. What are the chances that I decided to spin Bath for the first time in ages this morning and now I read this? Can't wait for the download to finish. I think it's a generous thing that they're offering their music for free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back