OMG need best amp for my SR-404s!!!! :)
Apr 17, 2006 at 6:27 AM Post #16 of 29
So I have it narrowed down to:

Butt ugly McAlister EA-1
Stax SRM-006t
Headamp KGSS

I want a nice fuller sound out of the 404s and fear that an SS amp such as the KGSS might sound a bit lean (thought he KGSS would be easier to live with and would plain look cooler in my rig) That said The EA-1 looks promising but I have found few impressions on this hideous thing... which leaves me with the 006t which I am rather indifferent towards....

Anyone that has experience with these amps and headphones it would be much appreciated if I could have your honest thoughts.

Apr 17, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #17 of 29
You are all welcome to let me borrow any of the above mentioned
wink.gif

Apr 17, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #19 of 29
out of those you listed i would go with the kgss if you can get one. i was not aware they were not being made by headamp anymore??? i had a kgss and still have an 006t. the kgss was marginally better than the 006t, i believe the kgss has a slightly smoother presentation than the stax amp. i would still be using it had it not blown up on me, maybe someday i will have it back. but i think the 006 wouldnt be getting the work if i had the kgss back....

Apr 18, 2006 at 12:22 PM Post #21 of 29
I use the 006t...it's not bad at all. However, I find the sound a bit too soft and forward for my liking. It's great for classical, but not alternative/rock. I'm currently looking for cables to make the sound smoother and more open. Anyone with experience willing to give me some advice for cables?

Apr 18, 2006 at 12:36 PM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fidel
I use the 006t...it's not bad at all. However, I find the sound a bit too soft and forward for my liking. It's great for classical, but not alternative/rock. I'm currently looking for cables to make the sound smoother and more open. Anyone with experience willing to give me some advice for cables?

Tuberolling would probably help more than different cables.

Apr 18, 2006 at 1:10 PM Post #23 of 29
I am using a Lambda Nova Signature (pretty close to a 404) with the Stax SRM-717 to good effect. I use the balanced inputs and it sounds smoother than the SRM 1 Mk 2 with unbalanced inputs. Great dynamics.

Apr 18, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #25 of 29
I think that the McAlister is the most interesting one... and is rather cheap. See if he can pretty it up for you.
tongue.gif

I've only really heard the SR-404 with the SRM-313 though and thought it was a great combo.
wink.gif

Apr 19, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
He's getting a KGSS (checking his sig). If anything, he'll have a visually very well matched components.
biggrin.gif

Salty is right... Justin is building one last KGSS for me... I have a feeling that a pair of OIIs are in my future so this is just planning ahead
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back