OMG! Just been to an IMAX Cinema!!
Oct 18, 2005 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

MrJoshua

500+ Head-Fier
OMG! OMG! OMG!

I've never been to one of these cimema's before and I've never seen a film in 3D before, so it was a double whammy for me!

Did I say OMG!?

Hehe... What an experience!

I saw Magnificent Desolation :: Walking on the Moon, which is narrated by Tom Hanks, with a number of famous actors doing voiceovers throughout.

The 3D effect is absolutely stunning, like nothing I've ever even dreamed of! Forget Jaws 3 3D or whatever, this is some crazy crazy business!

And the screen, hell, the screen is SO big!!

Oh, did I mention how clear the picture was too??? Man, this is amazing.

I'm sorry if this is old news, but I've never experienced this before and I'm still on a bit of a high about it!

Ate at Nando's too, which was HOT!
evil_smiley.gif

On the way home, we stopped at a lamborghini dealership and looked at the cars through the window... Mmmmm I like!

Purchase Price: £110000
Deposit: £20000
36 Payments: £1650
Final Payment: £50000
Total Payment: £130000

OUCH!! I'll not have one of those until next year then
blink.gif

All in all, a really enjoyable night out which I thought I'd share with you all!

Oct 18, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 23
Oct 19, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #4 of 23
I wasn't as thrilled as you at my first IMAX 3D experience, which was a screening of the movie Polar Express. Though the effect was nice, it didn't stun me, and the size of the screen did make the experience more immersive, but not enough to make me pay the price premium (about 5 USD more vs. the normal screen version) on a regular basis.

Oct 19, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #5 of 23
Ah yes...IMAX...a great Canadian invention. In Toronto where I live, there's five IMAX theatres within a half hour of my home.

Oh, and wait till you see the OMNIMAX, which is the dome version of IMAX. That is an immersive experience, I know several people who became motion sick from the realism of the OMNIMAX experience.

Oct 19, 2005 at 12:40 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry
I wasn't as thrilled as you at my first IMAX 3D experience, which was a screening of the movie Polar Express. Though the effect was nice, it didn't stun me, and the size of the screen did make the experience more immersive, but not enough to make me pay the price premium (about 5 USD more vs. the normal screen version) on a regular basis.

You have to see one of the movies that was filmed with the IMAX camera to appreciate it. The picture quality is amazing. A normal movie is just not the same.

Oct 19, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 23
OMNIMAX... thats the one in the science centre right? if i'm thinking of the right one, yes it is amazing, i forgot what i went to see but i know i loved it
biggrin.gif
hahaha... matter of fact... i'm going to see whats playing there
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 19, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #8 of 23
I saw Matrix Revolutions at the IMAX. A lot of people were disappointed with that movie, but seeing it at the IMAX was very cool, so cool that I'm reserving judgment until I watch it again on DVD.

Oct 19, 2005 at 12:57 AM Post #9 of 23
In vancouver I think we have both. Downtown at the waterfront the CN IMAX i think is the normal one. Then at Science World I think we have the OMNIMAX as part of the dome shaped building structure.

The first time in an IMAX/OMNIMAX theatre is rather amazing...I think I was around 6-7 years old and I got scared of the big volcanoes on screen haha...

The best IMAX experience I remember was driving down to Seattle's IMAX to see Star Wars Episode II (wasn't showing in Vancouver). THAT was definitely something great...

Oct 19, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #10 of 23
I actually volunteered at the local museum, which had a very new Imax theatre then. I worked there for about 6 months doing the in-theater presenting and running the computer stuff a couple days a week. The projection room was AMAZING and the projectionists were some really awesome guys. A couple times we had empty shows early in the day and they'd pull out Pink Floyd or Metallica or somesuch and absolutely rock the place out. That was the first time I'd ever heard Dark Side of the Moon and I've never heard it any better. The sound systems in those things are worth the price of admission alone. Later on they did Beatles/Metallica/Pink Floyd laser shows (seperate shows, starting at 9PM ending at 1AM). I did that about 4 times while it lasted, so amazing.

Oct 19, 2005 at 3:02 AM Post #12 of 23
We use to have a IMAX theater here but it closed in 2003 due to lack of patronage and the theater was torn down last year to make way for a new shopping mall. First IMAX movie I had seen was Pink Floyd in 3D, it was just awesome as I've never experienced such a movie before. Last IMAX movie I had seen shortly before the theater had closed was Ultimate X The Movie. It was a movie that chronicles the dramatic stories behind the 2001 X Games in Philadelphia.

Oct 19, 2005 at 3:12 AM Post #14 of 23
We have (had, I should say) an Imax in my city (London, Ont.) but it was closed due to lack of ticket sales...when it first opened it was popular enough, but now it has gone the way of the do-do...

Oct 19, 2005 at 3:21 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry

That's because it's just a normal 35mm film that's remastered for the IMAX screen. It's more or less like enlarging pictures in Photoshop and letting the interpolation filters "create" detail. You need to watch a movie that was filmed in IMAX to get the full effect.

Take a picture, scan it into Photoshop at 100dpi, then blow it up to 3X the original size, letting the bicubic interpolation filters sharpen things up. Then take the same photo and scan it at 300dpi. Put the 2 of them side by side and compare. It ain't gonna be close at all. That's the difference between remastered 35mm and IMAX film.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trance-Fusion
OMNIMAX... thats the one in the science centre right? if i'm thinking of the right one, yes it is amazing, i forgot what i went to see but i know i loved it
biggrin.gif
hahaha... matter of fact... i'm going to see whats playing there
evil_smiley.gif

Yup, that's the one. I get to play tourguide for relatives & friends every year or 2, and the OMNIMAX dome is always on the must see list. Fun times!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back