OMG!! Ipod Line Out!!
Sep 27, 2005 at 3:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

lal316l

100+ Head-Fier
Yea, so I finally broke down and bought a iPod dock (off ebay cheap mind you) for my 3g. In the past, I've always mumbled about the non necessity of line out thinking I could solve the bass rolloff problem by attaching an amp to the headphone amp. Tried the Shure E4's with the Ipod and Pocketamp2, things improved slightly but not too great. After that I had nothing but disdain for my iPod going as far as buying a new player just to match my E4's. So back to my dock, it arrived in the mail today, plugged it in, so the setup is Ipod->Dock Line out->RnB's mini-mini->Pocketamp2->E4. All I can say is...WOW!!

I never knew an iPod could sound this good. The bass rolloff, GONE!! I hear the BASS!! Amazing synergy? Hell yes!! The change in sound is so amazing that I bursted out in tears (or at least felt like it). I then plugged in my HD650's, the EQ is actually usable!! No Distortion!! Sweetness!! I recommend..NO I demand anyone using an amp plugging into the iPod Headphone out to get a sort of Line Out immediately!! Yes the change is that good!! Don't mess with mp3gain because with Line out and Amp you won't need it!! It's made a believer out of me!! Now all I need is a better amp!! From now on I'll only be listening to my iPod with Line Out exclusively. No more headphone out for me!! I'm one happy listener.
icon10.gif

Sep 27, 2005 at 5:13 AM Post #4 of 35
hmmm... so you find you're getting no distortion in the low end when using the eq? have you tried the bass booster setting? i found that i still had to mp3gain all my files even with the lineout-->PA2V2-->E4 combo.

Sep 27, 2005 at 6:19 AM Post #6 of 35
Now you should get a sik ram din or pocketdock so you can use the amp portably. Best investment I made with my ipod.

Sep 27, 2005 at 6:27 AM Post #7 of 35
lal316l... maybe you can solve a little dilemma...
Have you tried this setup: iPod > dock lineout > Shure attenuator > E4 ?
I absolutely don't expect the bass you can get with the PA2V2, but... who knows it can be an improvement...

Sep 27, 2005 at 9:30 AM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicolaij R.
lal316l... maybe you can solve a little dilemma...
Have you tried this setup: iPod > dock lineout > Shure attenuator > E4 ?
I absolutely don't expect the bass you can get with the PA2V2, but... who knows it can be an improvement...

Sounds great, a heck lot better than headphone out. The bass is there just not as huge of an improvement as with an amp. Also the volume is max on the attenuator and I feel it still needs more juice. Line out works fine with the E4's not sure for bigger cans. Attentuator from Line out I'd say 10% bass improvement with the E4's (maybe because of volume limit?). With amp is around 25% improvement. I don't know how I got that, just seems about right.

Sep 27, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #9 of 35
You can drive HD650s with PA2V2?

Sep 27, 2005 at 6:31 PM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey

Depends on the source.

Sep 27, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey

yes, especially with something like the microdac getting involved. but i could drive my 580s with my pa2v2 out of the line out.

rj

Sep 28, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by nanoblaze01
did RnB's cables made a difference from the PA2 stock cable?

I dont know about the PA2 stock cable, but it certainly was an upgrade from my temporary $5 radioshack cable. It just sounds much more detailed.

Sep 28, 2005 at 1:21 PM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Sounds great, a heck lot better than headphone out. The bass is there just not as huge of an improvement as with an amp. Also the volume is max on the attenuator and I feel it still needs more juice. Line out works fine with the E4's not sure for bigger cans. Attentuator from Line out I'd say 10% bass improvement with the E4's (maybe because of volume limit?). With amp is around 25% improvement. I don't know how I got that, just seems about right.

I think that 10% improvement in the bass department is worth the buy of a PocketDock...
Instead of going with the PA2V2 I think I will save money for something in the class of the Hornet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back