OMG I totally tell the difference between Lossless and lossy
Dec 28, 2006 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

rob187

New Head-Fier
Sike.

Nobody take that personally, I've been sifting through the forums a lot and seen a lot of posts like that. While I can't tell the difference, I will say that I bet I could with a higher quality, more expensive setup. But I don't have that. So I've been spending the last few hours and days experimenting with Lame MP3.

For my setup, EMU 0404 and Grado 225's. For the music, I mostly used Dylan's Like a Rolling Stone, but also experimented with a little Costello, Springsteen, and Kanye West (wanted to keep it diverse).

I started out with VBR 0-4 and couldn't tell the diff...failed miserably on the ABX tests. I started to worry that maybe I could never tell any difference. So, I went straight to VBR 9 and the quality was so awful it wasn't even worth testing. VBR 8 was slightly better, but I got 10/10 on the ABX. 7 Was tougher, only 8/10. On 6 I got 9/10. Then, on 5, after multiple tests and restarts I couldn't get better than 50% correct. So I figured 5 was fine, but decided to play it safe and started ripping my music at VBR 4.

I only got these toys a few days ago, and thus far the only downside is that all those friggin' mp3's I downloaded off of Limewire sound like Garbage. But I still do have a healthy CD collection, somewhere around 200, guess I'll just have to buy more.

Anyways, just thought you'd all be interested to know how my day went.
3000smile.gif

BTW After listening to Like A Rolling Stone so much I realized the guitar was quite similar to Rod Stewart's "The First Cut Is The Deepest..." but Rod Stewart wouldn't rip anyone off, would he? (haha, I actually love his music but he does a LOT of covers.)

Dec 28, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #2 of 7
Try some tests using "--alt-preset extreme" and see if that makes an improvement. The presets are more highly optimised settings.

Dec 28, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by db597 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try some tests using "--alt-preset extreme" and see if that makes an improvement. The presets are more highly optimised settings.

The -V settings correspond to the old presets.

Recommended LAME settings (tried and true) can be found here http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=LAME

Dec 28, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 7
OK, ferchrisakes, it's PSYCH, not Sike, mkay?

Dec 28, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by db597 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

By "Alt Preset extreme" do you mean the -b 320 or the V 0 New? I tried both and couldn't tell them apart from the original. And, just to clarify, when I say original I mean the lossless wav.

Quote:

Originally Posted by breez /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Recommended LAME settings (tried and true) can be found here http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=LAME

Aren't the new presets just "-V 4 --vbr-new" instead of "-V 4" ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, ferchrisakes, it's PSYCH, not Sike, mkay?

I was referring to a small stream.

Dec 28, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by rob187 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was referring to a small stream.

Well in that case, please carry on.
rs1smile.gif

Dec 28, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by breez /img/forum/go_quote.gif

what he said..... no need to play with presets anymore

ALL YOU NEED IS THIS:
Code:

Code:
[left]-V # ----vbr-new[/left]

as said in HA's wiki

and yea, i can't hear the difference between -V0 and lossless on my system.... i fail the ABX test horribly...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back