OMG! I just ordered a pair of Etymotic ER-4S!!!
Jun 8, 2002 at 3:55 PM Post #16 of 29
Congrats Eagle, isn't Priority Overnight a wonderful thing?

Quoting the infamous RickG:
Quote:

You're gonna love em'

biggrin.gif

Jun 8, 2002 at 6:14 PM Post #17 of 29
Congrats on the ER-4S purchase. I have also recently purchased the ER-4P with the Etymotic 4P to 4S adaptor.

I'm curious as to why you didn't go this route with the purchase. Does anyone know if there's any degradation to the sound by using the adaptor?

Jun 8, 2002 at 11:13 PM Post #18 of 29
Well, I chose not to go the ER-4P plus ER-4S adapter route because to my ears the ER-4P alone has too much bass even directly from a portable's headphone jack. But that's just *my* hearing.

Jun 9, 2002 at 1:16 AM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG
Congratulations on the Ety's, Eagle. No matter which configuration, they are amazing phones.

You're gonna love 'em!......
wink.gif

Ditto!
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW.......nice avatar, Rick.
tongue.gif

Jun 11, 2002 at 1:26 AM Post #21 of 29
*blonk* (my jaw hits floor!)
eek.gif

I received my ER-4S this morning, while I was waiting for the bus to go to work. At that time I was using only my Sony D-EJ1000 PCDP with its remote. So I plugged the Etys in.

My first impression was that they sounded a bit thin. But just an hour into listening to those freakin' canalphones, I began to notice that trademark Etymotic bass (that's right - bass that you hear, not feel). Mids and highs are very nice, and not at all harsh or shrill! And that's using the default white rubber tips.

Okay, I've told you about the sound quality, but how loud is the ER-4S/D-EJ1000 combo? Loud enough for use on the bus, but maybe not the subway train. (An Airhead amp will fix that problem.)

As I told you, I bought the 4S instead of the 4P because of the latter's bass that's a bit too visceral for my listening tastes.

I also own Koss The Plug and Sony MDR-EX70LP. No contest. The ER-4S (and ER-4P as well) COMPLETELY blow away those mass-marketed crap masquerading as isolating canalphones!

My rating is as follows:

ER-4S > ER-4P > MDR-EX70LP > The Plugh (with a REALLY BIG gap between the ER-4P and the MDR-EX70LP)

The ER-4S is definitely a keeper!
smily_headphones1.gif

cya l8r

Randall

Jun 11, 2002 at 10:17 PM Post #22 of 29
*shameless bump*

Another Etymotic experience for me...

...I took off my ER-4S on the way home from work on the bus, and... GRRRRRR!!!
mad.gif
How f@#$%&? loud was that "ambient" noise inside that f%@$#?! bus?
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Bottom line: Screw listening to that overly ********* loud engine/AC (Air Conditioning) sound when you're inside that F'ing bus or train; get yourself a pair of Etys.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2002 at 10:59 PM Post #24 of 29
a1leyez0nm3,

I'd put the ER-6 in between the ER-4P and the Sony MDR-EX70LP in my rankings (but much closer to the ER-4P than the MDR-EX70LP overall).
smily_headphones1.gif

And if you haven't noticed my avatar, it used to be a picture of the Sennheiser HD 590 headphones. Now it's a picture of the Etymotic ER-4# series canalphones.

Jun 19, 2002 at 8:35 PM Post #25 of 29
I'm just received a pair of ER-4s and am listening to them right now. It's pretty amazing how much more sound I here with these compared to say, the Senn HD280s (which I like a lot, btw). These little things definitely open the sound up a bit. I remember when I first starting using the 280s the internal noises (my breathing, feet stomping etc.) annoyed me a bit, but I guess I eventually got used to it. Now I'm experiencing a whole other level of that.

Ety-users, have you found that you've gotten use to these "internal noises" or have you just learned to breath quieter?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 19, 2002 at 11:38 PM Post #26 of 29
acs236, did you buy the P version of the ER-4's, or did you buy the S version? I thought the P version had a bit too much bass for my listening preferences, even directly from a portable.

Jun 20, 2002 at 12:15 AM Post #27 of 29
And to make another Etymotic experience:

These ER-4S puppies have been with me everywhere I go -- on the bus to and from work, inside a workout gym (yep, I used my Etys the past two times I've been at the workout club -- this past Monday and earlier today). I must have been the only person using those Etys at that gym or on the bus!
smily_headphones1.gif
Almost everyone else is using those open-air headphones -- mostly bundled stock headphones and cheap replacement Street Styles -- that block out absolutely no external noise at all whatsoever!
mad.gif
And they often find out that their portables can't go loud enough to overcome the very loud ambient noise at the gym or bus!
eek.gif
Gyah. So much for using my Koss KSC-35's on the go.
tongue.gif

Jun 20, 2002 at 1:50 AM Post #29 of 29
I have a dumb question. Which way are the foam tips supposed to attach? With the smooth side facing out (the side that is flush with the tube) or is the tube supposed to stick out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back