OMG!Eargasm!(akg k1000)
Jul 15, 2006 at 7:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

tyloh73

100+ Head-Fier
I have been listening to my k1000+t-amp/super T for a while,while I love their sound stage/imaging,it's bright/not involving enough to draw me into music like my speaker JM reynaud trentes.at last,i thought this might not be the headphone for me and i decided to get a pair of ps-1 when i saw them pop up in for sale forum 2 weeks ago.but at the same time,i still had some money left so i decided to get a new amp since their soundstage/imaging is hard to top for the price.

just receive michael mardis' octopus amp today,hook it up and listen to my k1000,i was hooked instantly,holy ****,bass has more presence,tighter,it's Smoth and more effortless,sound is clearer now.and more importantly,unlike t-amp/k1000 combo.it is more involving now!!!!

I thought t-amp + k1000 was good but now i have learn the truth...amp make hugh differences!!!!!!

Jul 15, 2006 at 7:55 AM Post #2 of 23
The problem with K1000/t-amp is treble brightness for me.
Using a 6-10 ohm resistor resistor in parallel can help.
You can try the parallel resistor trick on your Octopus amp, too.

Jul 15, 2006 at 8:13 AM Post #3 of 23
I already do,i use 10w 6.5 ohm resistors as michael recommended.gone is the harsh treble.....damn,instead of just enjoy the music,i am actually thinking about the pass aleph amp that some headfiers have been raving recently........

Jul 15, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyloh73
I have been listening to my k1000+t-amp/super T for a while,while I love their sound stage/imaging,it's bright/not involving enough to draw me into music like my speaker JM reynaud trentes.at last,i thought this might not be the headphone for me and i decided to get a pair of ps-1 when i saw them pop up in for sale forum 2 weeks ago.but at the same time,i still had some money left so i decided to get a new amp since their soundstage/imaging is hard to top for the price.

just receive michael mardis' octopus amp today,hook it up and listen to my k1000,i was hooked instantly,holy ****,bass has more presence,tighter,it's Smoth and more effortless,sound is clearer now.and more importantly,unlike t-amp/k1000 combo.it is more involving now!!!!

I thought t-amp + k1000 was good but now i have learn the truth...amp make hugh differences!!!!!!

I know the T-amp is a bargain, but you really need the "real" high end amps to get the best out of the K-1000.

Jul 15, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #5 of 23
Glad you are enjoying your new toy.

It is a fact that the K1000s require a 'real' power amp (suggested 30 watts per/channle minimum) in order to work up to proper spec.

I checked out the Octopus amp for giggles, and it looks interesting. The Octopus website doesn't really have very many specs. listed for the amp.

How many watts/channle is this amp? Just curious.

Jul 15, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan
It is a fact that the K1000s require a 'real' power amp (suggested 30 watts per/channle minimum) in order to work up to proper spec.

It is a myth that K1000 needs a 30W amplifier. K1000 needs 1W--that's it. But the amplifier needs to deliver one pristine Watt into an 120 ohm load. Speakers amplifiers' power rating is for an 8 ohm load, and their peformance against a 120 ohm load is hard to predict. By Ohm's law the same voltage swing that delivers 1W into 120 ohms delivers 15W in 8 ohms.

Jul 15, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
It is a myth that K1000 needs a 30W amplifier. K1000 needs 1W--that's it. But the amplifier needs to deliver one pristine Watt into an 120 ohm load. Speakers amplifiers' power rating is for an 8 ohm load, and their peformance against a 120 ohm load is hard to predict. By Ohm's law the same voltage swing that delivers 1W into 120 ohms delivers 15W in 8 ohms.

As for the 30/watt per channel comment - I am just passing along information that was told to me by an AKG technician in regard to what type of power is suggested for an amplifier to use with the K1000s in order to make them perform to spec.

I have heard the K1000s through quite a few headphone amplifiers, and sure most of them were able to drive the K1000s loud enough, but I could always tell the the K1000s were not being driven they way they were meant to be driven. Then I decided that maybe the AKG tech. new what he was talking about after all and I went with a 30 watt/channel Pass Aleph 3. Compared to other (headphone) amps I have heard the K1000s through, there was absolutely no contest.

Just out of curiosity, what is the SAC K1000 amplifier rated at, anyone know?

P.S. What is a 'pristine' watt, and how is a pristine watt measured (to determine that it is a pristine watt)?

Jul 16, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

P.S. What is a 'pristine' watt?

It's a watt bottled from a remote mountain Constant Current Source...untouched by man and delivered to you straight from the source without any filtration and processing.
k1000smile.gif

Jul 16, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

As for the 30/watt per channel comment - I am just passing along information that was told to me by an AKG technician in regard to what type of power is suggested for an amplifier to use with the K1000s in order to make them perform to spec.

I have heard the K1000s through quite a few headphone amplifiers, and sure most of them were able to drive the K1000s loud enough, but I could always tell the the K1000s were not being driven they way they were meant to be driven. Then I decided that maybe the AKG tech. new what he was talking about after all and I went with a 30 watt/channel Pass Aleph 3. Compared to other (headphone) amps I have heard the K1000s through, there was absolutely no contest.

Just out of curiosity, what is the SAC K1000 amplifier rated at, anyone know?

P.S. What is a 'pristine' watt, and how is a pristine watt measured (to determine that it is a pristine watt)?

The SAC ( own one ) is rated, if I remember correctly, 1 or 1.5 WPC into 120 ohms. It's biased class A and runs hot. It pairs really well with the AKG-K501s, but does not drive the K-1000s as well as the Dared MP-5.

Jul 16, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Yeah those class A amps run hot don't they? My Alpeh 3 gets so hot that I can't hold my hand on it for more than 4 seconds. And it is one giant heatsink.

Yeah, talk about inefficient. Nelson said it sucks in what? 4x the power it runs at?

Jul 16, 2006 at 5:31 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

I don't know how to measure one pristine watt, but I know how not to measure it.
Don't just measure THD+N, because it indicates next to nothing about sound quality.
Tube amps have poor THD+N measurements compared to solid state, and yet my Cayin HA-1A (witht the right tubes) driving K1000 produces tonal purity that is worth its weight in gold.
Daniel Cheever has written an excellent thesis on how to measure the sound quality of amplifiers: http://web.mit.edu/cheever/www/cheever_thesis.pdf
Best research article I've read on amplifier measurement, period.

Jul 16, 2006 at 7:00 AM Post #14 of 23
imilan,

it's rated at 7 clean watts per channel.

it's certainly is MORE powerful than super -t.unlike super t,i have yet to feel the amp is straining.(yup,i like to listen at very high spl).

i was so sure i was gonna sell my k1000 after i received my ps-1,oh....what should i do....owning both is not an option!
frown.gif

Jul 16, 2006 at 3:28 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferbose
Daniel Cheever has written an excellent thesis on how to measure the sound quality of amplifiers: http://web.mit.edu/cheever/www/cheever_thesis.pdf
Best research article I've read on amplifier measurement, period.

Thanks for this link. It is very well presented and informative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back