OMG can low bass tests spoil IEMS?!
Mar 27, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #16 of 36
Well, all I can say is, that sucks. I knew that you had to be really careful with test tones, but you never know when something will go wrong. Maybe you had a poor quality driver that failed under stress? I'd look into getting warranty on those if they weren't remolds, though I believe you bought from UM, and if my memory serves me correctly they offer no warranty?
Hopefully everything works out fine, I'd really hate to ruin my customs some way like that accidentally if I had any.

Mar 27, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #18 of 36
Crap, wow im screwed. I just did two runs (about 70 minutes each). It included from really high notes to really low notes (each about 30 seconds), on the lower ones you couldn't hear anything. I played at normal listening volume, did i screw up my headphones? They are ATH-M50s.

Mar 27, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any PURE TONES can damage headphones.

very low tones are not so much heard as felt. Even though the headphone measures flat to a measurement microphone at lower frequencies it may not sound that way, even after correction curves are applied.

The effect is made worse by the fact that gauging the volume of a pure tone is dificult. They can be (and often are) a decent bit louder than you would guess.

Bummer.

This person just said you could. sigh.

Mar 27, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #21 of 36
Something had to have been wrong with his, playing test tones at low levels usually does not. And yes, pure tones can damage headphones, but you played a sweep, right? that's a bit safer AFAIK. Don't be worried, just don't play them loudly.

Mar 27, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #22 of 36
Yes, it was like 30seconds each tone, is that a true sweep? I buy my headphones and learn in two days how i can damage them. Wish I knew BEFORE i bought. Things ive done so far; plug in and unplug while amp and mp3 is still on, run headphones at really high volumes(i should be fine), play pure tones at normal listening volume.

Mar 27, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #23 of 36
well i have no idea, but mine was still a really low volume, either normal listening volume or below that. But i tried a variety of bass clips and i cant find the one that screwed mine up so idk :S

Mar 27, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by momomo6789 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you cant break your headphones from playing music trough them at normal levels .... sigh

This is what I thought as well, but I was proven wrong yesterday. I just tried out my earphones they are alright now, but the bass seems to have been enhanced and the mids more recessed lol . How could it affect any other driver? strange.

Which brings me to a point to wonder about, do drivers "heal"? Is there any permanent damage done? and if so, what kind of damage?

Mar 27, 2010 at 6:30 AM Post #25 of 36
I use the Burninwave Generator which does the sweep quickly versus leaving them on one tone for even more than a split second. I only use this at lower volumes as it is very annoying (dogs and cats run from the sound) plus as has been pointed out it can be damaging.

Mar 27, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #27 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by IntelLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone explain how it damages the headphones? Oh crap, im like so screwed. Did i just mess up my new ath-m50s?

I can't say for sure, but IIRC I believe it is because sine waves work the drivers very hard. In speakers I believe it can overheat the voice coils, so something similar would happen. Like I said, I'm not positive, but hopefully this gives you a general idea of the problem.

The question is, do your m50's sound any different?

Mar 27, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #29 of 36
the stupidest thing is the videos i did on youtube, they didnt have a "warning" then subsequently all the rest i found had a "warning this may spoil your subwoofer" Just my day
frown.gif

Mar 27, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #30 of 36
Do your iem's still sound messed up? I suspected my ultrasone zino sounded a little odd after I did one of those 200hz to 1hz tracks (I heard/felt it all ^^). I don't know if it was just me or the headphones, but right now it seems okay. But not sure if it was damaged and I just got used to the new sound or what ^^. Maybe if I decide to kill my zino's I'll give it 24 hours of 1hz and see if it dies, and let you know the results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back