OMG! - Buying new IEMs
Jul 18, 2009 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

yojimbo

New Head-Fier
About 7 or 8 years ago I bought myself a pair of ER4Ps and to be honest I've never been over happy with them. There have been many times in the intervening period when I've just not used them. Their qualities are well known but the single biggest thing I didn't like is the cable microphonics - nothing deals with it - clips, around the ears, whatever.

So, I've been using various cheaper things but my last set has broken and, for some reason, I decided to update myself with what's out there now. I can remember getting tied up in knots reading other people's opinions when I bought the etys and I just can't be arsed to do that again
L3000.gif

I've had a good listen to the etys again; they're involving but just not warm enough for me. I'm really not that bothered about 'accuracy'; to me my favourite music can come from the cheapest source and it would still push my buttons. (but my wife does call me 'Mr top of the range'
wink.gif
)

So, having read a few reviews and some of the threads here (some of the very long threads
icon10.gif
) I narrowed it down to 530s or IE8s. I do like external noise to be minimised.

Price isn't an issue (I believe that if you pay a bit more for something you really enjoy then you'll soon forget the extra cost) but I've decided to go for the IE8s. Pretty much everything has been said about them - liking/not liking them out of the box, burn in, tips etc etc, but I haven't seen many people saying 'don't buy them'. i have read that the microphinics are very low and that is important to me.

Assertive/compulsive? Either way, you've got 24 hours to stop me!
beerchug.gif

Jul 18, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 17
The IE8s are superb as far as SQ goes, but they are absolute buggers to get a good fit and to get them to stay in place. Not everyone finds this to be the case of course. But many do.

(Can I just take her for the weekend. Perhaps an evening now and then?)

Jul 18, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #3 of 17
If price is not an issue, have you checked both the Westone 3 & Westone UM3X threads?

The UM3X currently probably has the best feedback from all of the top-tier universal IEM's, though it's only been round since 31st March.

I've had the SE530, W3 & UM3X - of all 3 the UM3X is my favourite, followed by the W3.

Jul 18, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #5 of 17
hmmm er4p to the IE8, you realise you are going to be smacked round the head with the bass. not that there is anything wrong with the bass just going from something famously bass light to something quite bass heavy is gonna be really noticeable.

same with the isolation going to be a noticable change

Jul 18, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #6 of 17
Go for UM3X, Sennheiser IE will have too much bass for someone coming from Etymotic. I've tried HF5, weaker bass than my PFE not to mention IE7, if going IE8 the bass will be overwhelm.

Jul 18, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #8 of 17
A looser seal and taped bass dial will solve the "overwhelming bass", but I haven't experienced that after 1000hr.

Jul 18, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #9 of 17
The OP never said that he enjoyed the relatively anemic bass of the ER4P, or even that he was looking for something with a similar sound signature. He specifically stated that he wanted something warmer and with minimal microphonics. The IE 8 absolutely fits that bill.

But isolation is poor. With that in mind, I'd consider the SE530 to be a viable alternative as I find proper isolation with the IE 8 to be a bit of a hassle.

Jul 18, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #10 of 17
@3X0:
Try this, tape the bass dial (dial it to max), invert the half-bi-flange, decore a pair of complys
and use the core to connect the complys and the large opening of the half-bi-flange. There's
also the option to cut the complys in half, put it underneath a sony hybrid and use the core
to connect the hybrids with the half-bi-flange.

Jul 18, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The OP never said that he enjoyed the relatively anemic bass of the ER4P, or even that he was looking for something with a similar sound signature. He specifically stated that he wanted something warmer and with minimal microphonics. The IE 8 absolutely fits that bill.

But isolation is poor. With that in mind, I'd consider the SE530 to be a viable alternative as I find proper isolation with the IE 8 to be a bit of a hassle.

agreed, the op said hes read the IE8 thread so im guessing he knows how much bass and isolation it has and still wants it. i was only saying he going to find it a big change not that its a bad choice

Jul 18, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #12 of 17
Thanks for your replies so far guys.

Indeed, I DO hope the IE8s are different to the etys!
regular_smile .gif

I'll only know whether they're right for me when I've used them for a while.

Have been reading the um3x threads as suggested - could be good but I still fancy the IE8.

Jul 18, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
agreed, the op said hes read the IE8 thread so im guessing he knows how much bass and isolation it has and still wants it. i was only saying he going to find it a big change not that its a bad choice

I agree with you entirely on that, as I progressed from the ER4P to the iM716 to the IE 8. I was just referring to the others suggesting that another pair would be a better choice based on your valid point.

The IE 8 did everything that the Etymotic series didn't do for me. If you're looking for a departure from Ety-town, this is the one.

Jul 19, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #15 of 17
Try the UM3Xs. Wait, the treble might be bit lesser... but, still good and natural. Good bass, good mid and detailed, especially when paired with a good DAC/AMP. No issues with fit and isolations, very comfortable and easy to drive too. Microphonics? NONE.

Hope you like it. Or ultimately... the customs, ES3Xs and JH13Pros

Users who are viewing this thread

Back