OMG 60gb ZEN!!! anyone have yet>
Jun 23, 2003 at 7:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

fappar

100+ Head-Fier
its only $400 retail, so i will buy it if my next paycheck allows... hehe

anyway, what is the difference between the two zen players?

im off to sleep now, but i will check this thread in the afternoon when i wake.

Jun 23, 2003 at 9:07 AM Post #2 of 8
Actually since dumping my ipod I've found out that any zen can be 60gb. As it uses a standard notebook hard drive you can swap the 20gb for a 60gb yourself, step by step instructions around if you do a search, ........ it takes 2 minutes. The hardware needed to configure the drive is all built in.

Take note Apple.

Jun 23, 2003 at 3:54 PM Post #4 of 8
thats cool, but a 20gb zen is 300, while the 60gb zen is 400.

the lowest price for a 60GB drive is $172 (thx pricewatch)

anyway, is there any difference 'sides the drive capacity?

Jun 23, 2003 at 4:11 PM Post #5 of 8
Indeed, T07 is correct. I upgraded a Jukebox 3 in a similar manner. It's straightforward and very satisfying!

Contrary to fappar's assertions, the calculations works out slightly in favor of upgrading yourself. The price of a new Zen is about $270, a Fujitsu MHT 60GB from newegg.com is about $178, and -- here is what fappar missed -- you can sell the 20GB for more than the remaining difference, if you don't absolutely suck as an eBay seller, of course
smily_headphones1.gif
. You end up saving money if you upgrade yourself, but definitely not time or energy.

For the moment, however, there is another difference between buying a new Creative Zen 60GB and upgrading to 60GB yourself: the firmware is hilariously better on the Creative version. As far as I know, the highest version for a 20GB USB 2.0 Zen is 1.01.01, whereas the Creative-branded 60GB comes with firmware 1.11.01. You get things like dynamically scrolling track and album names in all views, a new "Modern" Now Playing skin, clock screensaver, etc. Not to mention twice the track limit.

I have no idea what the latest firmware for the USB 1.1/Firewire looks like; it's currently at 1.12.02. Perhaps Austonia can help with that.

Jun 23, 2003 at 11:08 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by fappar
thats cool, but a 20gb zen is 300, while the 60gb zen is 400.

the lowest price for a 60GB drive is $172 (thx pricewatch)

anyway, is there any difference 'sides the drive capacity?

It's a good price considering, triple disk space with longer battery life as compared to 1st generation firewire model which cost just as much (w/out rebate). Wonder why they don't make USB2.0+Firewire version any longer.

I am now thinking about upgrading it to 40GB at around $110.

For those who are upgrading it to 60GB, you may want to check this from a user at nomadness.net:

I've just upgraded my Zen 2.0 to a 60GB drive following the guidance given elsewhere on the 'net. This was necessary as I only had 60-odd MB of space left and still had at least a couple of dozen LPs to sample onto it.

However, I've found that I can only get 5340 MP3s onto the new 60GB drive whereas the original 20GB drive had over 5500 on it when I replaced it!

I've taken files off and loaded others on in their place and it still stops at 5340 (though PlayCenter merrily goes on lading more on without comment!).

Jun 23, 2003 at 11:48 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by James
For the moment, however, there is another difference between buying a new Creative Zen 60GB and upgrading to 60GB yourself: the firmware is hilariously better on the Creative version. As far as I know, the highest version for a 20GB USB 2.0 Zen is 1.01.01, whereas the Creative-branded 60GB comes with firmware 1.11.01. You get things like dynamically scrolling track and album names in all views, a new "Modern" Now Playing skin, clock screensaver, etc. Not to mention twice the track limit.

I have no idea what the latest firmware for the USB 1.1/Firewire looks like; it's currently at 1.12.02. Perhaps Austonia can help with that.

I traded my Zen for a Nomad 3, but I had one of the first Firewire Zen's (October '02). My Zen didn't have scrolling track and album names (one thing they really need). I have upgraded my NJB3 to 60gb, very easy. I have about 700 full albums on it, all tagged 100%. Nomads (excluding the new 60gb Zen) have a 8-10k track limit depending on amount of ID3 tag data used to make the database. But if you have a lot of large files, like DJ sets (60-120mb) then the track limit becomes less of a problem, and even an 80gb drive is useful. Even if you max out the database you can still use the extra storage space for data.

Jun 24, 2003 at 12:53 AM Post #8 of 8
hmmm... i wonder. could i buy the 60gb and downgrade to 20? my lappy has a 20, and a 60 would be nice. that way, no selling of hard drives or anything. it would just be like upgrading the lappy for $100, saving $70

Users who are viewing this thread

Back