Omega O2 vs. Omega O2 MK2
Mar 30, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #2 of 15
Yes, several people own both and have compared them.
Search The Stax thread (New) and you will find multiple posts..
wink.gif

Apr 1, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone heard the new Omega O2 MK2? How does it compare with the previous O2 model. Apparently it has improved wiring. Thank you.

Yes. Me.

Apr 1, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #5 of 15
First of all this two headphone systems (Stax Omega II & Mk2) are the most cable depend of all. You use another interconnect, you get something quite different. Almost the same with power cables. So, as well both could be warm or cold.

However:

-Omega II is more warm than Mk2
-Omega II put accent on the middle of the stage
-Omega II is maybe (I am not sure) more transparent
-Mk2 has wider soundstage
-Mk2 has more powerful bass (quite good indeed)

Both are fantastic.

Forgive me my English.

Apr 1, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #6 of 15
My feeling on the two was pretty simple. They are very close to same sound. I liked the Mk2, but I didn't really see it as an upgrade to the O2. More a long the lines of updating them. I guess that is why they did not call them the O3's :). So I came to the conclusion that I didn't need to get rid of my O2's and buy a new Mk2. But if I didn't own any, I would just buy the newer Mk2.

Cheers,

Apr 1, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeymad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I came to the conclusion that I didn't need to get rid of my O2's and buy a new Mk2. But if I didn't own any, I would just buy the newer Mk2.

i think that is exactly what most people are wondering - myself included, who have yet to hear the Mk2 model.

Apr 2, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #8 of 15
I've recently got a pair and I almost exactly agree with Piotr's findings:

SR-007A have a noticeably wider soundstage but perhaps less sense of depth. They also sound less refined and transparent compared to the original model. They sound somewhat harsh in the upper midrange.

I tried swapping the earpads between SR-007 and SR-007A and that hasn't made any difference, so there must be some change in the drivers or the way they are mounted. Interestingly, my SR-007A are more sensitive, contrary to audiod's earlier report.

I will see how much of this will be cured with further running in (currently 100hrs), but I don't have my hopes up and will most likely hold on to the old pair.

I am using a dCS 954 DAC and KGSS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Ryka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First of all this two headphone systems (Stax Omega II & Mk2) are the most cable depend of all. You use another interconnect, you get something quite different. Almost the same with power cables. So, as well both could be warm or cold.

However:

-Omega II is more warm than Mk2
-Omega II put accent on the middle of the stage
-Omega II is maybe (I am not sure) more transparent
-Mk2 has wider soundstage
-Mk2 has more powerful bass (quite good indeed)

Both are fantastic.

Forgive me my English.

Apr 2, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #9 of 15
So ...is it an improvement?

Apr 2, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So ...is it an improvement?

Doesn't look like that at the moment, but will give it a few more weeks.

Apr 3, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Ryka /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Piotr, could you be a little more detailed about the cables you've tried. Also, about how many hours do you have on the Mk ll ?

Apr 3, 2008 at 11:21 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironbut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Piotr, could you be a little more detailed about the cables you've tried. Also, about how many hours do you have on the Mk ll ?

I have try tree cables, all symmetrical – some rather cheap Wireworld (I send them back to the diler, so I cant tell you direct name), Acrolink 6N-A2400 II and Fadel Reference One. Wireworld was cold, Acrolink is rather warm, Fadel is neutral and the best of this three.
I have both new driver units and SR-007MkII since week. They were heated about 100 hours before I got them (to review). SRM-007tII sound is more rich, mysterious and interesting. Not so unique like this from SRM-727A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back