Omega II with Lesser Energizer?
Apr 24, 2008 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

blessingx

HeadFest '07 Graphic Designer
Supplier of fine logos! His visions of Head-Fi
Okay, someone somewhere (maybe the endless Stax thread - I can't find the post and search unfortunately didn't help) suggested preamping Stax 'energizers' and I've been amazed with the bump in performance of the SRM-1/Mk2 since feeding the signal through the Extreme Platinum. It's a substantial change in sound (though varies based on tube combos). Which in typical Head-Fi fashion has me thinking about upgrades (why doesn't it ever work the other way around when we increase SQ?
wink.gif
) As I'm contemplating future upgrades down the road, has anyone ever successfully used an O2 with a 'lesser' Stax energizer?

Apr 24, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, someone somewhere (maybe the endless Stax thread - I can't find the post and search unfortunately didn't help) suggested preamping Stax 'energizers' and I've been amazed with the bump in performance of the SRM-1/Mk2 since feeding the signal through the Extreme Platinum. It's a substantial change in sound (though varies based on tube combos). Which in typical Head-Fi fashion has me thinking about upgrades (why doesn't it ever work the other way around when we increase SQ?
wink.gif
) As I'm contemplating future upgrades down the road, has anyone ever successfully used an O2 with a 'lesser' Stax energizer?

Aren't you just going to borrow my O2s and find out for yourself if they will sound ok with your Extreme-->SRM-1 MkII setup?

Apr 24, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #3 of 18
Im driving my O2 from the lesser SRM-006t through my iBasso D1 from the computer and it sounds really good. Almost as good as from my Shanling SCD-300 with XLR. It's not as transparent or detailed but its really not that far from it.

Apr 24, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #4 of 18
I'm giving myself a little graduation present next week, assuming I finish my degree without incident. You can guess what that is. Since I have a SRM-313, McAlister, and soon SRD-7 Mk II lying around (with Dared VP-20), I'll be able to gauge exactly how well the O2 works with lesser energizers. And, there may be room in the budget for a KGSS - if not now then definitely later - so I'll be able to see how well it works with some not-so-lesser ones
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #5 of 18
I get good results driving Stax phones with a SRM-MKII Pro fed by the preamp out jacks of a Fisher X-100C tube amp. I have some fine old Telefunken 12AX7's in the preamp section, and the Stax amp rides nicely on their signal. I also have a SRD-7 pro adaptor that makes Stax phones dance with the old Fisher 7868 power tubes. This is a little different sound from the Stax amp - more euphonic and bigger, and missing only the slightest bit of detail.

I had the Omega II for awhile. Although I didn't really like the sound of them all that much (another story), I found that the SRM-MKII drove them more satisfatorily than did the 007T that I had.

Apr 25, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #6 of 18
I've used the SR-007 with my SRM-006t. What really suffers is the bass, which becomes a bit flabby. All in all, still very enjoyable to listen to (something I could definitely live with) but certainly nowhere near as good as they ought to sound. There's no shame in using a "lesser" energiser at all
tongue.gif

Apr 25, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #7 of 18
The 006t is a really bad choice for anything more demanding then a Lambda but the solid state amps are much better at driving the more demanding phones. The headphone sounds stunning on just about every amp but they really shine when fed enough power.

Apr 27, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 006t is a really bad choice for anything more demanding then a Lambda but the solid state amps are much better at driving the more demanding phones. The headphone sounds stunning on just about every amp but they really shine when fed enough power.

In what way is the 006t a bad choice? Do you mean the 006t can't drive the O2s with enough volume? I'm considering getting O2s but I don't really want to replace my 006t as well....

Apr 27, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #9 of 18
You'll get plenty of volume out of the O2. It's just the performance which is a bit lack-luster in certain respects, eg flabby bass, overall dark, recessed sound signature.

I'm in sorta the same situation as you, ie wanting a pair of O2 and currently using the 006t. Having tried the O2 on my 006t, I was fairly happy with the performance. Despite the shortcomings, there were still many areas which I found pleasing, eg large, relaxed sound, very good detail, deep and textured bass, etc... If it weren't for money constraints, I would've purchased a pair already
biggrin.gif
Of course, I would buy a pair with a view to upgrade to a better amplifier in the future.

If you don't plan on upgrading the amplifier, I would question the price/performance ratio of purchasing the O2. There's a good chance that the money spent on purchasing the O2 + money gained from selling the 006t could be used to buy a equally-good-sounding dynamic rig based around the a pair of balanced Sennheiser HD650. The O2/006t is decent, but certainly isn't the best value for money (IMO).

If you're like me, eg can't afford to upgrade amp and buy new cans at the same time, I would buy the O2 before upgrading from the 006t.

If you're not like me and can afford to do both, by all means do so!

Did that make any sense?
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In what way is the 006t a bad choice? Do you mean the 006t can't drive the O2s with enough volume? I'm considering getting O2s but I don't really want to replace my 006t as well....

Volume is simply voltage gain and most of the Stax amps can make the SR-007 play very load but none of them has the power in reserve to wake them up. The good news is that they will sound great until you have heard the difference a great amp makes.

May 9, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Volume is simply voltage gain and most of the Stax amps can make the SR-007 play very load but none of them has the power in reserve to wake them up. The good news is that they will sound great until you have heard the difference a great amp makes.

I've asked you a similar question elsewhere in an another thread. What amp do you recommend that offers the necessary power to make the SR-007 sound great? BHSE not withstanding.

May 9, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've asked you a similar question elsewhere in an another thread. What amp do you recommend that offers the necessary power to make the SR-007 sound great? BHSE not withstanding.

An updated KGSS with a more robust PSU and higher B+ should be good but I only know of one such beast in existence.

May 10, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #13 of 18
I emailed Justin recently and we won't see an updated KGSS till 2009...good news the hybrid amp should be out after the Blue Hi....sometime later this year. Do not have the specks tho...

May 10, 2008 at 10:36 AM Post #14 of 18
Yes! So the KGST is coming this year?! If the first KGBH SE will be ready in June, we should be seeing prototypes not too long after that. Who's excited?

May 11, 2008 at 8:41 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes! So the KGST is coming this year?! If the first KGBH SE will be ready in June, we should be seeing prototypes not too long after that. Who's excited?

How would this compare to the KGSE however?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back