Omega II users: which amp are you using with it?
Feb 20, 2006 at 10:23 AM Post #2 of 27
I use mine with the Blue Hawaii.

unfortunately I haven't done much of a comparison to other amplifiers so cannot add much else to this thread.
tongue.gif

Feb 20, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #5 of 27
I used a max KGSS when I had the O2s. I can't contribute much to this thread caused I didn't really compared it to other amps
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuma
Thanks for the replies guys.

Why did you skip Stax amp?

I didn't get the Stax amp because I wanted a customized gain, silver wiring, black gates etc. -- I doubt Stax would make a special one just for me.

Feb 20, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Thanks for the replies guys.

Why did you skip Stax amp?

Stax amps are overpriced and inflexible. If you want cheap, then get a McAlister amp or get someone to build you a KGSS. If you want performance, Stax amps won't beat high-end amps made by Headamp, Rudistor, SinglePower, etc.

Feb 20, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #7 of 27
I got the Blue Hawaii because I wanted the best that was available and the maxed out Blue Hawaii was it. I have the SRM-313, the SRM-T1 and had the SRM-007t on loan and the Blue Hawaii crushes them all. In fact the Blue Hawaii is the only amp I have heard where the Omega's spring to life. They do not seem life less and artificial and don’t have the slightly shrill heights and somewhat overblown bass they have with lesser amps.

Feb 20, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
Stax amps are overpriced and inflexible. If you want cheap, then get a McAlister amp or get someone to build you a KGSS. If you want performance, Stax amps won't beat high-end amps made by Headamp, Rudistor, SinglePower, etc.

Carl,

I assume you've done the AB.
What is the difference between, say, KGSS and Stax SRM717?
You might be the only one who compared to the Stax amp to others.

Can you share your insight?

Feb 20, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer
I have the SRM-313, the SRM-T1 and had the SRM-007t on loan and the Blue Hawaii crushes them all. In fact the Blue Hawaii is the only amp I have heard where the Omega's spring to life. They do not seem life less and artificial and don’t have the slightly shrill heights and somewhat overblown bass they have with lesser amps.

Spritzer,

Are all Stax amps are weak on bass transients?
do you find them somewhat slow and veild?

Feb 20, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #11 of 27
Wow, you guys are really picky indeed! One would think that the "stock" amp would do the Stax justice, but no.... The Omega II are nearly at the top of my want-to-listen list.

Feb 20, 2006 at 11:48 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Spritzer,

Are all Stax amps are weak on bass transients?
do you find them somewhat slow and veild?

Those that I have tried all have muddy bass and slow transients. They all seem to have a slight mid bass hump that when you notice it is very annoying. This is more apparent with the He90 but also noticeable on the Omega's.

Feb 21, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #13 of 27
Spritzer,

Thanks.
So, I am not the only one who thinks the 717 is a slow amp.

I am not a 'panel' head, but I have been having trouble getting it to sing.
Right now, RS1/W5000 and even the W2002 driven by Naim Headline2/Supercap have better transient delivery and more articualte starts and stops of notes than the Omega II/717. :0

Feb 21, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Carl,

I assume you've done the AB.
What is the difference between, say, KGSS and Stax SRM717?
You might be the only one who compared to the Stax amp to others.

Can you share your insight?

Carlo did a review between the 2 amps (or at least did a detailed comparison between the two) a while ago. He has very good ears, so the review is trust worthy. How do you like the omega II's Kuma? I know of an amp that crushes all the amps mentioned but its custom costs a bit more hehe.

edit: I can't find Carlo's comments which leads me to beleive he may have done the comparison for the publication he writes for

Biggie.

Feb 21, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #15 of 27
Hey PJ,

Thanks for the pointer regarding Carlo's review.
I was hoping someone can point me to it.
tongue.gif

The Omega II/717 so far is a dissapointment.
I've got two more tweaks and that's it. I've got it to dance as far as I could but still not up to par.
I need to isolate the 'fones from the amp, next.

As far as a custom amp goes, (are you nuts?!
icon10.gif
), I am not gonna go there again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back