Omega II(SR-007) tweak
Mar 12, 2006 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

spritzer

Member of the Trade: Mjölnir Audio
I have been wondering for a while why the SR-007 gets such a mixed reception. Some loathe it but others (me included) love it. The SR-007 has one design feature that is nearly unique in the headphone world. The transducers are fixed to the headband but not attached to swivel mounts like nearly every headphone out there. This will cause a variable angle between the ear and the transducer will alter the sound depending on the size of the listener’s head.

Finally I bit the bullet and bent the metal bands slightly where the start of the serial number sticker is so that the transducers are angled by a few degrees more outwards. It made a huge difference and it really transformed the headphones. The bass became much clearer and slightly more pronounced. It had always been a bit muted although it extended very well but it was not as pronounced as with, for example the He90. Well since the bass is more pronounced the headphones have much more PRAT and they are more fun to listen too. This tweak doesn’t seem to have hurt the lovely midrange or cure their dark top end. The He90’s are now completely crushed in the bass department and seem boring and dull by comparison. One thing to note is that I have a huge head so the results will be different depending on your head size.

If you want to see if this does any difference in your case but don’t want to bend the metal bars just hold the lower part of the earpiece steady and push the top towards your head changing the angle between your ear and the transducer. Be gentle as they aren’t built for this. You will have to make sure that the hands do not block any part of the metal grill because then they will reflect part of the back wave into the ears and alter the sound. Care should also be taken not to break the seal around the ears as that also alters the sound.

Do this at your own risk as you can damage the headphone if you aren’t careful. It transformed my set so urge you Omega owners to try it with out bending the metal bars but be careful not to over do it because then the bass can become loose and flabby.

May 6, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #2 of 6
I just want to bump this up.

I tried bending the metal bars on my OII by pushing one cup up, then the other. (so that one cup is kind of horizontal to the other) Bending the bars through other means would seem too 'dangerous' (pliers, brute force). The fit is amazing now - before, it still had some fit issues (the top of the cup would apply a lot more pressure than the bottom).

After this mod, the OIIs have become very, very comfortable. I can't say anything about sound yet, since I don't have anything to plug the OIIs into.

May 6, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the tip Spritzer. Once I get my CDP and amp I'll take the OII out and see about modding them.

May 6, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 6
Well since it has been bumped I think an update is in order.

I've had my ups and downs with the Omegas during the 3 years I've had them but this slight mod had made me fall in love with them all over again. Before the mod the He90's had the upper hand but after they are left in the dust. They are now my main phones and the others are only used on the odd occasion.

I bent mine by hand so no tools or tool marks. The metal bands are stiff but easily bent by hand, just do it slowly.

May 6, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #5 of 6
yesterday night i had an interesting experience with my o2's

when i got them the pads were swivvled 180* out of angle. by that i mean that the "flat" part of the d-shaped oepning was at the front of my ears. i decideed to swivel them the other waty, and just wow. cumfort increased significantly, and sq improive a bit too.

May 7, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #6 of 6
I also bent my O2 headband, at the point where the main arc angles sharply down to the earpieces, I bent it inward on both sides, the clamp of the earpieces increased and balanced out. Much more comfy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back