Omega II and KGSS vs SRM 717
Jul 30, 2006 at 2:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

jaybar

100+ Head-Fier
I am having the opportunity to audition the KGSS and Omega II's and comparing that to my SRM 717 with the Omega II's and also my SR 404's

My initial reactions:

1) The KGss bright with the 404's
2) Compared to the SRM 717, the KGSS is much more transparant.
3) Sometimes the KGSS is too transparant, meaning I sense a peak in the "transparancy " range.
4) I would say the KGSS takes a while to warm up (it is less hyper transparant this morning than it was yesterday afternoon when it was first connected.
5) It does a significantly better job of controlling the bass of the Omega II's.
6) The SRM 717 is easier on my ears because of the darker tonal balance, but somewhat more muddled, by comparison.

I wonder wherther it is better to listen to through the KGSS for a few days and then the SRM 717 for afgew days, rather than switching back and forth because I think your ear normally gravitates to the brighter gear.

I am listening via my Ayre integrated which is connected to the Stax unit via the tape out which is connected to the KGSS via the Stax's loop out.

This is the only way I can compare things.

The Omega II's have been charging for a day, except when I briefly switch them back and forth between amps.

Again, am I better off listening through one unit for a few days, and then stwitching to the other, so the Stax remain continually charged.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jay

Jul 30, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #2 of 2
Hi,

The way I hear it, the KGSS is a bit cleaner and faster than the 717. The KGSS transforms after 72 hours left on, and I suggest you just leave it powered up all the time. I have owned a regular KGSS and now own a Big Blackgatted KGSS and I find a nice step up in slam and impact with the upgrade. Quality PC helps also.
I also believe you are degradding the sound by looping it out the Stax. I would just attatch each amp to the source direct and leave fully connected and powered for a couple of days. Listen this way for a while and then the other amp to get a true sense of long term satisfaction and performance.
Nice setup either way. What do I know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back