Omega 2 Mki VS Mkii (Please vote)
Dec 8, 2010 at 12:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
I will be buying a Stax system in the next few months.  I will most probably be pairing one of the Omega 2 models with a BHSE or a WES.  Without getting into discussion about which amp is better, I would like those who have heard both to specify which version was to their preference. If they could clarify a little as to why that would be helpful!  In addition, and this is very important possibly to how you vote:

I will do NO modifications to either headphone.  I understand some people swear by modifcations to them, but I learned the hard way not to modify anything which is irreversible and on such an expensive gear.....so when you vote please take into consideration that although you may enjoy the Mkii modified over the Mki or vice versa, this modifcation will never be done for my pair.

Thank you very much for voting:)

Dec 8, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 8
Strong preference for Mk 1.  Purchased both, and went with the Mk1 and Sold the Mk2.  Both obviously excellent headphones.  on the physical side, the looser / larger fitting headband of the Mk1 made it far more comfortable for me, and I would have had to modify the headband of Mk2 to make it fit comfortably for me (even purchased the material to do this).  After spending time listening to each, I found the Mk1 to have better bass, less of a forward sound in the upper mid's (peak), more integrated sound/tone top to bottom, more ease and laid back sound which I generally prefer (entirely non-fatiguing).  You can't go wrong and enjoy the setup when it comes together.  Happy listening!

Dec 11, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #3 of 8
Get the Mk1, especially if you do not want to do the Spritzer mods on the Mk2. The Mk1 has much more even response, and is by far the best headphone I've ever owned. As for the amps, I know you didn't ask, but the BHSE is the way to go of those two.

Dec 11, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #4 of 8
My mods to the Mk2/A are 100% reversible so that isn't an issue.  Since those mods were posted Stax have changed the design so at least one of my mods is incorporated.  I had no hand in that but I guess Stax agreed with me there.  I had no complaints about the Mk2's at CJ but without a Mk1 at hand that fits my head I can't be sure if they are finally worthy of the Mk2 name. 

Dec 11, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
My mods to the Mk2/A are 100% reversible so that isn't an issue.  Since those mods were posted Stax have changed the design so at least one of my mods is incorporated.  I had no hand in that but I guess Stax agreed with me there.  I had no complaints about the Mk2's at CJ but without a Mk1 at hand that fits my head I can't be sure if they are finally worthy of the Mk2 name. 

Do not all the Omegas fit everyone's head?

Dec 11, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #6 of 8
btw, was looking at Ebay and saw a Mk1 available (no affiliation), was just looking to see if there was anything interesting:  item [size=small]170576828509 $1500 start price 3days to go, black edition, good seller feedback[/size]

Dec 11, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #7 of 8
Why not wait until the new STAX flagship gets reviewed?  Might as well shoot straight to the top...providing that it suits your preferences. 

Dec 11, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #8 of 8
The Omega2 are really touchy about all sorts of variation... pad rotation at the very least. I've had them sound quite different after a haircut!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back