Omaha Head-Fi Meet, #2! (@ Custom Electronics :: Oct 9th!)
Jul 9, 2010 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 100

Aynjell

Headphoneus Supremus

Hello everybody, let's get  a list going of who can come to a head-fi meet. Larry, owner of Custom Electronics is a very gracious host, and took care of us last year. (also a big shout out to Tim who helped organize it last year and this year!) They gave us a generous discount on products in store  and they also hooked us up with a free lunch. They had a PS1000 for us to listen to with some very appropriate gear behind it. No promises about this year, but they're giving us a place to sit around and listen to music for a day. Nobody can complain about that!

There may be some cost associated with this for example If we get some sponsored gear shipped to us and we are required to pay for return shipping, we will subsidize the cost of shipping it back by charging a 5$ entry fee. In such a case, anything extra will be applied to head-fi as a donation. As of right now, any and all agreed sponsorships are taken care of and will not incur the group a shipping fee. I doubt comply wants a bunch of used tips back, and considering headroom is paying return shipping, as it stands right now the event is free. Yes, free and I'm doing my best to keep it that way. My goal is a free event that's bigger and better than last year. This is coming together better than I'd hoped and I'm trying to snow ball it into a mini Can Jam that all of us will remember (at ;east until next years)!

Omaha area or not, any head-fi member is invited to come join us (if you're not a member and would like to attend, please register on the forum and introduce yourself). Last year, we had a great group and no doubt we will have a similar level of friendliness and eagerness to learn. We have nailed down an October 9th date, which is most compatible with the largest number of people and Larry (the owner) suggested it. Considering it's his store, I want to do our best to make sure we're within his schedule; he wants to hear some kit too!

Official Time: 10AM CST to 5PM CST

Over 1500$ in raffle prizes!

This includes time to setup and tear down. In no earlier than 10, out no later than 5. I'm sure they'll be very forgiving, but let's not spoil such a gracious host. We will have 3 rooms, 1 larger room and two smaller rooms. I believe we'll have quite a bit of room this time. If everyone shows up we'll have a total of 17 bodies there, more than likely, and since we had 12 and only 1 room last year, this gives us quite a bit of space to work with.

Again, this event is getting better and better, and providing we can get more people will surely eclipse last year's event. If you didn't make it last year, you owe it to yourself to come this year!

1. Custom Electronics will be providing venue, and possibly some surprises as they did last year (see above). Larry told me saturday they would also have some Demo PS1000's on loan from Grado.
  2. Headphone.com will be sending some of their gear (micro stack, ultra desktop with psu for audition, and total airhead for raffle).
  3. Whiplash audio also has agreed to assist us with some of the gear for the event. 1 HD800 recabled, 1 iqube, and 1 whiplash twag lod.
  4. It looks like Head-Direct (storefront for hifiman) is sending us the not yet released RE262, also to be raffled at the end of the event.
  5. Comply will be providing tips for the IEMs present, these will be the new filtered tips (T-100, and T-400) to fit the Grado iGi, Grado GR8, and Westone UM1 that will be present.
  6. ALO Audio is sending us one of their high end sennheiser headphone cable.
  7. Spirit world will be providing venue for discussion as well as a free bourbon tasting after the event proper for those interested, also they will give a 10% discount on liquor, wine, and beer, and those who buy a sandwich at lunch time recieve a free cookie, bar, or soft drink.
  8. Naturespace.com has provided some 24 bit digital audio content for us to use as testing material for those who would like to do so. Also they have provided some 16 bit content that I can burn to an audio CD. This should give us a fun toy to play with on some of the gear. 

List of Attendees (and associated gear):

(Presently we have 21 attendees, let's get some more, no limit on attendees (however please limit number of guests you'd like to bring. Thanks!))

James Schmitz aka Aynjell, and one guest.
CANS:
Shure SRH840
Grado SR325i
Grado SR80i
Sony MDR-V6
Westone UM1

OTHER:
Headroom Total Bit-Head
Little Dot I+ w/ OPA2107 & Sylvania GB408A valves
S.M.S.L. Mini Dac SD-793  w/ OPA2107
Custom Water Cooled PC for use with equipment (X-Fi Titanium)
Dell Latitude 610 w/ Ubuntu Linux

Dave Keim aka Bassvirtuoso
CANS:
Sennheiser HD580
JVC HA-DX1000

OTHER:
Burson HD160 Amp
JDS Labs cMoy

Miles aka LingLing1337
OTHER:
Dual CS604 w/ Grado Cartridge

Unknown aka Vinhson
CANS:
Audio Technica ATH-A900
Denon AH-C700

OTHER:
Corda MOVE
MSeed Spirit

Unknown aka nabiscosnack
CANS:
Ultrasone Pro 900

OTHER:
Graham Slee Solo
Woo Audio 3+

Unknown aka nylan8301
CANS::
Beyer-Dynamic DT880/250
Grado SR-60 (originals)
JVC HA-RX700
Beyer-Dynamic DT321
Koss KSC-75 (modded)

OTHER:
Little Dot MK II
Audio-gd Compass (earth)
PA2v2 Amp (Portable Amp 2, Version 2)
Sony A818 w/LOD

Unknown aka matajuro, and one guest.
CANS:
Sennheiser HD-280
Sennheiser HD-218

OTHER:
dual CMOY

Unknown aka StupidN00bie
CANS:
MarkL Modded Denon AH-D5000

Devin aka mrscotchguy
CANS:
Grado iGrado (with HD414 pads)
Sennheiser HD555

Curt aka cowsandcorn, and one guest.
CANS:
Sennheiser HD650
Grado SR-80i (If not sold)

OTHER:
Audio-gd C-2C
Eastern Electric Minimax DAC
PC w/ Asus Xonar Essence STX
Macbook

Unknown aka RepublicanJew

CANS:
Denon AH-D2000
Grado SR60
Etymotic ER6i

OTHER:
Headroom Airhead

Nate aka nierika
CANS:
Grado HF-1
Beyerdynamic Tesla T1
Beyerdynamic DT-250 (80ohm)
Sennheiser HD 25-I

OTHER:
Technics SL-1210M5G
SPL Auditor

Unknown aka ru4music
CANS:
Sennheiser HD650

OTHER:
Woo Audio 3
Mod 1+ Shanling CDT100

Unknown aka gritzcolin, and one guest.
CANS:
Koss KSC35 (kramer modded)

Unknown aka AVALover5498
Unknown aka mattcbr9 (apparently a shure\monster\etc rep)
Unknown aka piperfect

Please pm me with your interest in attendance and gear list so I can keep track of the list better. thanks!

Copy pasta this into your sig, guys. Let's get some more people for our omaha meet! The more people that see it the more that might attend! It's not a meet without people!

Now recruiting for omaha head-fi meet! >> CLICKY <<

Aug 3, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #5 of 100
I am down for the cause, I am not sure what I would bring gear wise yet if anything I will let you know on that.

Aug 3, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #6 of 100

Quote:
I am down for the cause, I am not sure what I would bring gear wise yet if anything I will let you know on that.

Anything and everything that isn't on the gear list. =)

Rare items specifically would be appreciated, like the KSC-35 for example since they are pretty hard to come by at a reasonable price and eclipsed by the Ksc-75 in the value segment. Most importantly your presence however as I stated. Me and 100 headphones is fun, yes, but 50 headphones and 10 people to discuss them with is so much better. =)

Also, in an attempt to reach others we don't know are in the omaha area, can we signature this thread so we can get more views? I'd love to see more new faces at this meet.

Aug 3, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #8 of 100
Please PM me your list of gear so that I can add it to the initial posting. If you wish to not include your name, this is fine. I just figured it would be nice to have them.

Aug 3, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #9 of 100
I could bring my Dual turntable, but I know they'll have much newer and "fancier" turntables at the store. If anyone wants to hear the magic of vintage German engineering, let me know.

Aug 3, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #11 of 100

Quote:
I wasn't able to make it last time, but I will definitely come this time. I don't have anything to bring. Which I hope is ok?

That's fine, the goal of a meet is to find new gear that you like, assistance in shopping around if you will. It's a free why to try new combos, seek out that much desired synergy. You don't need to have your own gear, but hopefully something you find at the event should drive you to buy some. We have a slight space issue, so maybe 15 people, and a few people without gear helps alleviate that space issue. =)

Aug 11, 2010 at 3:12 PM Post #13 of 100
Hey everybody, unless we can generate more interest and get more people to come, this is going to be an...

░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█▀▀ ░░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█ ░░░
░█▀▀ ░█▀▀ ░█ ░█ ░░░░█▀▀ ░█▀█ ░█ ░█ ░░░
░▀▀▀ ░▀ ░░░▀ ░▀▀▀ ░░▀ ░░░▀░▀ ░▀ ░▀▀▀ ░

Post links in your sigs so we can get more people coming. Thanks,

Aug 11, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #15 of 100
Thanks nabisco. Tell your friends, if you aren't a head-fi member, get registered and sign up. We want 15-20 people signed up because maybe only 10 might come. What happened last year anyway. =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back