Olympus E-300 (EVOLT) or Nikon D70? Please advise!
Feb 22, 2005 at 7:25 AM Post #16 of 41
Have you used the *ist DS before?

There is no direct access buttons to common settings like white balance or ISO. If all you are going to use the camera for is a high priced point and shoot, that would be fine, but going through meus all the time would just be annoying.

Granted, the D70 is a more capable camera, but it's also just that. More camera. Man, that thing is huge compared to the *ist DS. But the new upcoming Digital Rebel XT looks to be a real winner for me.

May be a bit larger, but it is lighter than the *ist DS.

-Ed

Feb 22, 2005 at 4:40 PM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
There is no direct access buttons to common settings like white balance or ISO. If all you are going to use the camera for is a high priced point and shoot, that would be fine, but going through meus all the time would just be annoying.

Maybe I'm a little oldschool, but my film camera certainly cant change white balance or ISO on the fly; I have to wait until my roll of film is over.

I think the really important stuff is aperature, shutter, ex. compensation, exposure lock, mirror lockup and DOF preview. I can live with everything else in a menu.

Its also black
wink.gif

Feb 22, 2005 at 5:21 PM Post #19 of 41
I'm waiting to see how the Rebel XT stacks up against other DSLRS, but the *ist sounds good as well. There are many budget DSLR selections out there, I guess the best thing would be for me to actually try them out and see if I can live with their shortcomings or features.

I tend to do a lot of "spontaneous" shooting in a variety of different locations with varying light levels etc etc, so to me, it would be very important if I could change camera settings on-the-fly without having to waste time digging through menus. Who knows, I may be trying to adjust the WB or something and I miss a really good shot b/c I was fumbling with the settings.

Feb 22, 2005 at 9:04 PM Post #20 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by dffman2001
Maybe I'm a little oldschool, but my film camera certainly cant change white balance or ISO on the fly; I have to wait until my roll of film is over.

I think the really important stuff is aperature, shutter, ex. compensation, exposure lock, mirror lockup and DOF preview. I can live with everything else in a menu.

Its also black
wink.gif

Heheh, no need to wait, digital is all about instant gratification!

THe new Digital Rebel XT is available in black as well.
tongue.gif

Oh, and man, those super SMC takumar pentax lenses are rare to find in Bayonet mount. They all seem to be M42 screw in.
confused.gif

-Ed

Feb 22, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #21 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by null
I tend to do a lot of "spontaneous" shooting in a variety of different locations with varying light levels etc etc, so to me, it would be very important if I could change camera settings on-the-fly without having to waste time digging through menus. Who knows, I may be trying to adjust the WB or something and I miss a really good shot b/c I was fumbling with the settings.

I don't care too much about white balance, as I can fix it quite easily in Photoshop. But ISO is important.

-Ed

Feb 23, 2005 at 12:54 AM Post #23 of 41
Adaptors for M42 go for about $15. You can use the camera in metered mode.

Nikon requires adaptor with optical correction and meter does not work with adaptor.

I'm not sure about the lenses with the Canon. Perhaps metering may work in manual.

WB can be changed post processing in RAW.

Besides, Canon and Nikon doesn't have that much over the *ist in terms of manual switches, controls and dials. Look at the Minolta Maxxum 7D. It's the one you want if you want all your controls.

Heres a commentary that discusses the *ist DS. He says it's "perfectly sorted", which I agree with when I played around with the camera. And it feels pretty solid, which is important to me.

edit:
ok, you beat me to the WB comment.

ISO isn't as important because rarely you move from a scene to another with a large difference in exposure. When you start shooting, you are likely to remain in the right type of light for a while.

As for quality, I would say that you should keep it on RAW or at least highest JPEG; you loose dynamic range and lose post processing control with JPEG. Just look at a leica, the preferred tool of the photographer for the past 80 years. It basically has nothing but the essentials.

Feb 23, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #24 of 41
OK, I will compare the *ist DS and the new Rebel and decide for myself!
icon10.gif

But first TWO questions...

1. How do you pronounce "*ist".... "1st"?

2. Are there any good, easy-to-understand, FREE tutorials out there that tell you how to post-process RAW files?

Thanks.

Feb 23, 2005 at 10:30 AM Post #25 of 41
I've got a Nikon D100, but the new Rebel looks like the best budget buy right now. Make sure you look at the lens systems, as that's what you're really buying into. What do you like to shoot?

Feb 23, 2005 at 12:50 PM Post #26 of 41
LOL, *ist makes for more difficult searches online. Particulary eBay. It rejects the asterik. Most sellers have realized this and list with just "ist".

Actually you will get more hits with just "Pentax DS".

Of course just "DS" gives you alot more Nintendo hits.
tongue.gif

-Ed

Feb 23, 2005 at 12:51 PM Post #27 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stornn
I've got a Nikon D100, but the new Rebel looks like the best budget buy right now. Make sure you look at the lens systems, as that's what you're really buying into. What do you like to shoot?

I shoot mostly portraits and macro. I have not bought into a lens system yet. Decisions decisions.......

-Ed

Feb 23, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
I shoot mostly portraits and macro. I have not bought into a lens system yet. Decisions decisions.......

-Ed

Wasn't sure if he was referring to me or you?
confused.gif
tongue.gif

Anyway, I for one, shoot practically anything. I really think that new Rebel is the way to go for me. Lens systems I don't really care much about yet, because I won't have enough money to buy $800 canon lenses and instead, just stick to buying Sigma lenses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back