Olympus 2040 or Nikon 775 Digital Camera?
Dec 23, 2001 at 2:13 PM Post #16 of 31
Congratulations Dark! That's a competent little camera.

Dec 23, 2001 at 2:50 PM Post #17 of 31
Questions for digital camera owners:

-1)Do you transfer images from camera to computer via USB cable, or do you remove memory card from camera and place in optional card reader for transfer? Amazing how cheap and how many images a memory card can hold, local stores sell 32mb cards
for less than $30. The 8mb card that come with Nikon is really all I need unless I want to use memory card as a storage vehicle.

-2)Do you use image transfer/storage software that came with camera or use another brand and if so what do you use and why?
I mentioned the MGI PhotoSuite 4 in post above.

-3)What is a good free source on web to transfer/post photos so I can show some here. I am AOL member, perhaps they offer some free site and I believe Nikon also offers some service......what do people here use and why?

Dec 23, 2001 at 3:14 PM Post #18 of 31
3) This is for posting pictures on forums...

Haven't used it myself yet, but I've seen many use it...
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2001 at 4:28 PM Post #19 of 31
1) Use USB cable, it's fast enough. Card readers are a waste of money. It takes me about 10-15 sec. to download a 16 Mb card (full). At Sam's club a 128 Mb card is $54 after $10 mail in rebate.

2) I use the software that came with the camera to download only. For processing, I use Photosop 5.0 LE (it came with my film scanner).

3) MSN gives 30MB of free space. You can resize pictures to smaller size, or upload them in native resolution (a 1 MB picture is uploaded as 1 MB file, no resizing).

communities.msn.com

Check out a C-3000 sample at

http://www.vi2.com/maxForumFiles/11_...1/PC160011.JPG

Dec 23, 2001 at 6:30 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

-1)Do you transfer images from camera to computer via USB cable, or do you remove memory card from camera and place in optional card reader for transfer? Amazing how cheap and how many images a memory card can hold, local stores sell 32mb cards for less than $30. The 8mb card that come with Nikon is really all I need unless I want to use memory card as a storage vehicle.

You can get 128MB CF cards for $45. I couldn't get by with an 8MB card, since I always have my camera set at the highest quality (>1MB for each photo)
wink.gif
Plus I don't have to worry about running out of space if I'm out for the day taking pictures.

I have to disagree with danieln on the card reader. I use a card reader, for two reasons: 1) the biggest battery drain for a digicam is transferring data via USB. It's amazing how fast you can drain your battery down. Some cameras have AC adapters for use during transfers, but most don't; and 2) transfers are much faster using a card reader. With an 8MB card it might not matter, but with a 64 or 128MB card, it makes a big difference.

The "rip off" is that some companies want to charge you so much for their card readers. I got the MicroTech card reader for $19.99 at CompUSA and it works flawlessly without even having to install any driver software. Why would I spend $40 for the exact same thing?

Quote:

-2)Do you use image transfer/storage software that came with camera or use another brand and if so what do you use and why?
I mentioned the MGI PhotoSuite 4 in post above.

I just copy the photos to my hard drive, then use Graphic Converter (the poor man's Photoshop), but it's a Mac app. Basically, use whatever graphics app you like the most. There's no reason you have to use the stuff that came with your camera (unless you're transferring directly from the camera... some cameras require you to use their software for downloading).

The only time I use the Canon software is for panorama stitching -- it's actually pretty amazing software!

Quote:

-3)What is a good free source on web to transfer/post photos so I can show some here. I am AOL member, perhaps they offer some free site and I believe Nikon also offers some service......what do people here use and why?

If I remember correctly, you're on a PC, is that right? For Mac users, I recommend Apple's iTools/iDisk (free and reliable). Don't a lot of PC users use PhotoPoint?

Dec 23, 2001 at 9:31 PM Post #21 of 31
Mac, I use Ni-MH rechargeables, and with my camera they last for a long time (up to 100 pictures maybe), including downloading to computer. I have a universal AC adapter from Radio Shack, and I don't even bother using that one when downloading pictures. 2 sets of Ni-MH, one in the camera, one charged, that's all I need... Also, USB seems plenty fast for me (16 Mb Smart Media card takes maybe 10 - 15 sec), my brother also has some Fuji with a 128 Mb card and he never complained about speed, takes around 1 minute or so to download a full card, maybe less. It takes much longer to burn pictures on a Cd-Rom anyway, so the transfer speed from camera to computer is a relatively minor issue to me...

Dec 24, 2001 at 1:08 AM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

Mac, I use Ni-MH rechargeables, and with my camera they last for a long time (up to 100 pictures maybe), including downloading to computer. I have a universal AC adapter from Radio Shack, and I don't even bother using that one when downloading pictures. 2 sets of Ni-MH, one in the camera, one charged, that's all I need...

True, but if you don't have two batteries (one charged all the time), taking pictures and downloading them can run your battery down pretty quick... leaving you waiting for the battery to charge. Of course, all this depends on your uses. Just something for DA to think about, that's all
wink.gif

Dec 24, 2001 at 4:15 AM Post #24 of 31
quote:

--------------------
True, but if you don't have two batteries ...
---------------------

Forgot about this - both yours and DarkAngel's cameras use custom Li-ion batteries, pretty expansive. Mine runs on AAs (actually I look for this feature when I buy a camera, my Nikon SLR runs on AAs, even my camcorder takes AAs), so I already had a ton of rechargeables when I bought it . So yeah, I agree, for you and DarkAngel the AC adapter is a good idea if you don't have a second battery. But it's a good idea to buy a backup battery anyhow.

Dec 25, 2001 at 2:51 AM Post #25 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by danieln
1) Use USB cable, it's fast enough. Card readers are a waste of money. It takes me about 10-15 sec. to download a 16 Mb card (full).

Must disagree there.

Card readers(usb) are so cheap now they they are absolutely worth the price. If the biggest card you have is only 16 megs and you dont do a ot of pic taking.. then you are fine with jus the camera for dling. It is a pain since you do have t power on the Cam. Also when you starting to use 64 megs cards( or higher) using the camera as the reader becomes a chore.

I have the olympus reader ( looks pretty cool as well
smily_headphones1.gif
like startrek item) It reads the cards extremely fast. It act as an external drive under win explorer. It makes image transfer soooooooooo smooth. Both up n download to the cam.

I definitely recommend one if one is using cards of 64 megs or higher. The reader really just become a mini drive in a way. I even use it with my old nomad II mp3 players ! no need to run its own software, just drag n drop the mp3 right ot the smartmedia cards and bam its done !

You will appreciate tis efficiency once you have it.

Tides

Dec 25, 2001 at 4:34 AM Post #26 of 31
quote:

-------
If the biggest card you have is only 16 megs and you dont do a ot of pic taking.. then you are fine with jus the camera for dling.
----------------

Well, in HQ mode, which is 3.34 mp file, with moderate compression, there is room for about 21-23 pictures on my 16 mb card, which takes 10-15 sec to download (it takes much longer than 15 sec. for my, or any computer, to boot!!!) If you take more than 25 pictures a day, you are a probably a pro
smily_headphones1.gif

quote:

----------
I even use it with my old nomad II mp3 players
----------

I don't do mp3s
smily_headphones1.gif
, I don't think sound quality is good enough.

quote:

--------
looks pretty cool as well like startrek item
----------

??? does it have a warp-drive to make it faster? (sorry, couldn't resist
smily_headphones1.gif
).

I will probably buy a 128 mb card when prices drop below $30. Right now I am happy with the 2 cards that came with the camera, 16 mb and 8 mb.

For some people some things make sense, some don't. I prefer to invest my buck in stuff that improves picture quality, not gadgets. So for the $20 (just a guess) you spent for the card reader, I bought a polarizing filter to use with my camera.

Dec 25, 2001 at 9:16 AM Post #28 of 31
With those 2 small cards, of course u dont need it.

But I take a lot of pics in SHQ mode and using my cam as the device just to dl the pics is something I rather not bother with.
Once someone gets into the digital cam hobby, he/she will purchase bigger cards and using the cam as the upload device becomes a real hassle. Especially with the batteries power issue.
Always need that extra sets just in case the power runs out during uploading
wink.gif

I have 5 64 megs card here. The reader makes the transfer much much easier and camera stays in the bag nice n safe~
wink.gif

Only someone who takes pics frequently with good among of megs on the card can come to appreciate the pleasure of using the usb reader.

The reader itself also requires no driver ( it is in windows os 98,2k,me,xp) so if I want to share some pics with a friend, I can just take my smart media cards and the usb reader to his house. Plug it in and everything is ready. Where as with a camera, you have to first install the software, connect the usb cable, make sure camera is nice n safe ... make sure the batteries are fully charged... etc etc ~ With the reader, there is no battery power issue to worry about nor any chance of *accidents * with the camera.

becomethemould~ not just about the technology... but the damn prices are coming down HARD as well ! You seen the prices for ram chips these days ? DIRT cheap is even an overstatement !

I remember in the early 1990s I bought 1 meg of ram for 139 DOLLARS. and My 1 meg vga adaptor I paid 200 bucks !

139 bucks can buy you more than 512 megs of ram and you can pick up a Geforce 3ti 64 megs for less than 200 !

Tides

Dec 25, 2001 at 3:02 PM Post #29 of 31
Tides, I appologize if my comments seemed offensive, it wasn't my intention. What I wanted to say was that for some people, me included, there are other issues more important than saving 10 seconds (anyhow I do a fair ammount of processing in Adobe, which takes a lot of time). To me, what is important is picture quality. That's why I bought a 3 mp camera, and I keep buying only accesories that improve picture quality, or picture taking ability. You seem to value speed and convenience. That's fine. You probably paid more for your 2 mp camera with accesories than I paid for my 3mp camera without (again, no offense here). 2 mp pictures in SHQ still look much worse than 3 mp in HQ, if you do enlargements. I have most prints done at SAM's club, but ocasionally, for very good pictures, I do my own printing (8" by 10") using a Canon photo printer, and pixel count does matter. I have a film scanner that produces files up to 60 mb for a single picture. It takes about 3 min for one scan at maximum resolution! But if I really want quality, that's what I do, use my Nikon SLR with a good single focal lens, and then scan it using my film scanner. "Different strokes for different folks" - I think that's what somebody says in his automatic signature, couldn't agree more with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back