Olive-oil Appreciation Thread
Sep 18, 2007 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

kramer5150

Headphoneus Supremus
I LOVE Olive oil...
drizzle it over a toasted baguette

pour over lettuce in with a little balsamic vinegar and top with gorgonzola...MMm

Saute' fresh garlic, onion, salt and pepper in a little olive oil.... FTW!!

3 cheers for team olive-oil-Fi

Sep 18, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #2 of 34
Nice topic!

Whenever I have a can of tuna with salad (which I do somewhat regularly given my cooking skills
tongue.gif
), if that can comes with the regular oil, I actually open my bottle of Olive oil and pour some into it. Olive oil is delicious! In fact, I started having more olive oil on my food after learning it's very good for lowering your cholesterol.

Sep 19, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #7 of 34
I like to drizzle on the Olive Oil, too. She's delicious.

oliveoyl.jpg

Sep 19, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #9 of 34
Basic Home-style Tagine

1. Crush four cloves of garlic. Grate a 1 inch finger of fresh ginger. Put the two in a shallow dish.
2. Chop roughly and place together into a large bowl: 4 yellow onions, 1 green bell pepper and 4 hot fresh peppers.
3. Cube to half inch pieces and add to another bowl: 2-3 lbs. of fresh lamb meat (shoulder is fine -- leg is extra fine). Alternatively, cube 2-3 lbs. of fresh beef roast. NOTE: whatever meat you use, placing a largish piece of meaty bone raw into the pot will generously thicken the stew.
4. Place these items raw into a very large pot with a close-fitting top (which will cook in the oven - so must be oven-proof): 6 small potatoes, quartered; 4 medium carrots roughly chopped; 1 fresh fennel, diced. Also add a bunch of parsley minced to the pot. Preheat the oven to 400* Fahren.
5. Roughly dice up 4 fresh tomatoes.
6. Get a large, high-sided frying pan. Add enough olive oil so that you can cover the base after shaking the oil back and forth over the pan. Get a pan cover large enough to cover the frying pan.
7. Turn the heat to Highest and then down to medium high. Let the olive oil get hot enough that you can feel the heat well on the top you've placed over the pan.
8. Add enough of the cubed meat so that, once you've stirred the pieces up, they are not lumped over each other in the pan. You're looking for one shallow layer of meat covering the pan's surface. The heat should be at medium-high. Add the cubes in a lump in the middle of the pan and leave for 3 minutes (this allows the oil at the peripheries to get super-hot). After this time, stir the meat cubes, preferably with a wooden spoon (you gotta watch the surface of your good skillet -- especially if it's iron or enameled iron). Cover the pan and allow it to cook four minutes. Give the meat a good stir, recover, and cook three minutes. Turn off the heat, and use a slotted spoon to remove the braised meat from the skillet to the pot (where you've already got the potato, carrot, etc.). Add another batch of meat and do the same (2 batches should do it -- the meat should be 'grey' rather than uniformly brown).
9. With the meat removed from the skillet, there should be a layer of oil and meat essence. Add the garlic and ginger: cover and cook on medium high. When they begin to get brown, and the oil has turned clear and is popping with heat (diminished) add the tomatoes. Cook all of these together, covered, until you've found that most of the liquid has evaporated. Brown ginger and garlic have been infused with red tomato. Scrape it all into the big pot.
10. Add just enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the skillet. Cover and heat at medium high. After about three minutes, add the onion, bell and hot pepper mix. Recover. Cook, stirring every 3-5 minutes. When the onion mixture begins to stick slightly to the skillet and it's turning brown, then turn the heat down a little. Add the tomato bits and liquid and recover. When the tomatoes have reduced with the onions and the peppers, scrape the mixture into the big pot. Dont let the onions burn.
11. Add these spices to the big pot with everything else: 1 tablespoon of the following -- ground cumin, ground coriander seeds and ground chili pepper (cayenne). 2 teapsoons salt. 1 teaspoon of tumeric, cinnamon, black pepper. 1 dash (1/2 teaspoon) allspice, cloves.
12. Add water or broth to the big pot. The amount is 3 cups (approx.). I recommend broth -- lamb, chicken or beef. Fresh or granuated is fine (fresher's always better -- stew with a bone or two is always better).
13. Heat the whole mess in the big pot over an oven hob to the point that you can hear it beginning to bubble.
14. When the pot is beginning to bubble, cover it and place it in the oven. Turn the heat down to 350* Fahren. Cook an hour, take out and stir, return, and cook another two hours at 300*. Turn off the oven and leave the pot in the oven closed for an hour.

Tagine tastes much better the second day, and is better still on the third day.

Couscous to accompany tagine:
1. Measure 1 cup of medium couscous and dump in a big ceramic bowl.
2. Boil water with a kettle or a microwave. Add same volume (1 cup) of boiled water to the couscous with a big dab of butter and a few shakes of salt. Stir with a fork until the water is absorbed. Leave the couscous for ten minutes.
3. Fluff the set couscous with a fork. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 3.5 minutes on high heat. Fluff grains with a fork and you're ready to serve with tagine.
4. OR if you have no microwave, then put another dab or two of butter over the settled couscous and cover with aluminium foil. Bake the ceramic dish covered for one hour. Check to make sure that the butter has melted, and then fluff the baked couscous with the fork. It should be ready to serve with the tagine.

Sep 19, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #10 of 34
I'm a big fan of olive oil as well. When I was in Rome last year I picked up a bottle there
eek.gif
. Like nothing I've ever tasted in the states. Worlds better. Either I haven't been buying the right oil here, or they just don't export the good stuff.

Sep 19, 2007 at 9:52 AM Post #13 of 34
yep, olive oil is very good for you, and tastes great drizzled over various foods, i guess thats why the meditarranean diet is so good looking at those very ancient old folks native to that part of the world who have lived on a diet of olive oil

similar thing is turmeric, a south asian spice, widely used in those countries in curries and spiced food bases, has great cancer fighting properties and this is reflected in those countries VERY low cancer rate, compared to our western rate.

loads of similar spices and oils and extracts and foods which are good for you, my dad is a real health freak!!! - so i am forced to absorb the information.

my favorite tidbit of information gleaned from him was learning that cocoa was good for you, so expensive rich chocolate here i come
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #14 of 34
Olive oil can be an intresting hobby. From my experience with olive oil, it's best to try different brands to see which fits your taste. I find that good olive oil enhances the flavor in a pleasing subtle way. I love the the higher end olive oils that have a "brighter" taste. The one that I'm using costs around $7 a bottle and it's a very good buy.

If possible, try to buy olive oil that has the bottle date printed or an expiration date. The general rule is that it has a 2 year shelf life from the bottleing date.

Also, I think it's important to get into the olive oil hobby for health reasons too. Instead of using butter or mayonaise, olive oil is a healthy alternative but I also use butter too since I am also French in spirit.

Sep 19, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the the higher end olive oils that have a "brighter" taste.

Just a bit of brightness can be one bit too much, especially if the oil gets on "sibilance" ground
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back