older listener lookin for suggestions...
Jun 14, 2017 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ge_trojan

New Head-Fier
Ok, I'm 65. I like most types of music, mostly 60s to 70s rock, blues, some country, even a little easy classical.

No rap, etc.

Anyway, I go to my favorite SBUX several times a week and sit for a good while surfing and listening. I have a couple of pairs of lowend headphones but would like to upgrade.

I lurk a lot so I have read a lot on this site and the information is staggering...

Please guide me, I know how folks like to spend other people's money, so....

I want a new pair of headphones. After reading a lot, I think I would like a pair of DT880's probably the 250 ohms. what can I say? I like German engineering. I like solid, I like closed back if possible. Circumaural. Only one cable. I'm a big guy with a large punkin'. I don't need bass heavy anything... Sennheiser's might be nice also.

I would like a portable DAC/AMP combo. I like the idea of a clean uncluttered sound presentation. I don't need something overly complicated, simple is good. I do want good quality, durability, good design. I have read about Fioo's, jds, schitt etc. It is mind numbing. The more I read, the less I know. I'm sure there is more info I should give, but let's start here.

I am good with spending at most $200 on the headphones, $75 to $150 on the DAC/AMP.

There is nowhere near my home in Virginia that has a decent stereo store, so I will be ordering online.

All guidance appreciated.

Thanks,

George

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #2 of 5
I dont have too many suggestions for you,but youre going to need a closed back HP,which the DT880 is not. The DT770 is closed back but it is a very strident,bright(painfully so IMO)HP. Beyerdynamic HPs are typically quite bright,so if that appeals to you,great,but it needs to be understood.

Closed back HPs are pretty essential if youre planning on listening in public,otherwise all sound will leak out/in which can cause quite a bit of dirty looks and hearing loss.

For the DAC in that price range I'd look into the Dragonfly.

Jun 14, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #3 of 5
Do you need something portable are you planning on going out and about with them ? Or do you want a portable amp/dac for convenience?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back