Older iPods able to use new search function?
Sep 27, 2006 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

MajinWu

100+ Head-Fier
Is the search feature exclusive to only the 5.5G iPods?
Or can the older 4G or 5G iPods get a firmware update to use it? How about the Nanos?

Thanks!

Sep 27, 2006 at 11:17 PM Post #2 of 11
MajinWu asks:
Quote:

Is the search feature exclusive to only the 5.5G iPods?
Or can the older 4G or 5G iPods get a firmware update to use it? How about the Nanos?

5.0g and 5.5g yes. 4.0g no. I don't know about Nanos, but would guess yes (same generation as the 5.0 iPod).

Sep 27, 2006 at 11:37 PM Post #3 of 11
it seems with every update, apple seems to shaft users with late-model iPods -- no search, no gapless (rockbox excluded); anything i'm missing?

Sep 28, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #5 of 11
zip22 says,
Quote:

no, i do not believe the search function was implemented in the older ipod. the new games, scrolling letters, and gapless, yes for the 5G. but not the search.

I thought he was calling the scrolling letters "search". You are correct, "THE SEARCH" is not in the 5g.

Sep 28, 2006 at 2:00 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by pds6
zip22 says,

I thought he was calling the scrolling letters "search". You are correct, "THE SEARCH" is not in the 5g.

Its on my 5G here, but to activate it you have to spin around the wheel like a demon, then it activates
smily_headphones1.gif

(...with 1.2 firmware)

Sep 28, 2006 at 2:18 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
Its on my 5G here, but to activate it you have to spin around the wheel like a demon, then it activates
smily_headphones1.gif

(...with 1.2 firmware)

really? gotta try that!

edit- just tried it. spun it like a demon - when i couldn't even tell what song i was scrolling past because it was so quick, all of a sudden a tiny centered grey box showed up on my screen with a white capital letter - as I blew past the K's, a "K" would show up, that kinda thing. Cool, and i didn't know the ipod did that, but it's not the same as that search thing
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 28, 2006 at 2:34 PM Post #8 of 11
tried that on my 5G 60GB, and all I got was the scroll letters, no seach feature

some people have claimed that the search feature is in their 5G's, but I'm think they are confusing that with the scrolling letters

Sep 29, 2006 at 7:31 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidd
some people have claimed that the search feature is in their 5G's, but I'm think they are confusing that with the scrolling letters

I'll be one of those people
wink.gif

Maybe it'll come out in a firmware update just before the 6G pops out... you never know
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2006 at 7:59 AM Post #11 of 11
Sorry pds6, I was meaning that I was confused between the 'spin around like a demon' letter thing, and the actual search function that everyone is referring to
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back