Older High End DAC vs New CDP at $2.5-3K
Sep 14, 2007 at 8:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ldj325

500+ Head-Fier
I need to get a balanced digital source to feed my new Supra XLR amp. First priority is sound quality but the ability to tie into computer audio is an attractive second priority.

I have a line on a like new Opus 21 CDP (with digital ins) for $2600. I'd really like to be at the sound quality of the next level up--say the Audio Aero Capitole MKII SE or Ayre C-5Xe (no digital in, darn), but those are $1K-2K (used) out of my budget ($3K max, but less is OK too).

I started wondering if a used high end DAC ($3K or under) might make up the sound quality difference between the Opus 21 and the Capitole--and still give me the ability to use a Squeezebox or computer audio or an inexpensive CDP as a transport.

If a used high end DAC might work, could likely candidates be suggested. And please tell me what to watch out for as problems when buying used DACs.

For most of my "audiophile" career I've been a vinyl guy, so I know little about CDPs and even less about DACs. As far as CDPs (and DACs) I am leaning to the more analog sounding players like the Opus 21 and Capitole.

And I don't know if I am unrealistically dreaming here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back