Older CDP + New Separate DAC?
Aug 13, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #16 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mingde10467 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sensible advice, but I would like to see if CD playback has improved since the CD23 was produced.

Give some new ones a listen so you can judge for yourself. I know that can be a tall order because in my area mid to hi end stores are all but a thing of the past. Coming from NYC and NJ, I know there is a 20-1 ratio (at least) of audio stores there as compared to out here. I have to drive a few hundred miles to listen to anything above Circuit City level out here.

If you love your Arcam, then consider mods or an external DAC. It can be a less expensive upgrade in that selling your current CDP to pay for a newer model could cost more than adding an external DAC or mods. However upgrading from the "Legendary CD-23" might prove tough by itself. IMHO, yeah, there have been upgrades in ten years, but to me they are mostly HDCD and SACD. I have a few HDCDs but no SACD or DVD-A. I've considered it but I then always turn on some music to think to and end up waiting a little longer. That's just me though, my method of dealing with upgradeitis. [ .. I have a mild case of that disease that does extend to my music instruments and computer gear too!]

I still have my Adcom GCD-575 and love it. Listening to it is like having that perfect cup of coffee in the morning. I've had other CDPs come and go (Carver, Onkyo, Pioneer, Sony, Krell, etc.,) and probably will have one or two more follow suit, but I suspect the Adcom will remain with me till its or my end.

I've been thinking I"m overdue for an upgrade but am first researching all my options. Since adding my computer and an iPod into my audio mix as it were, I have more options to consider. Right now I wish there was simply a better HDCD playback solution for the computer. Then I'd be in HDCD heaven for at least a little while. At any rate, there are considerations to any 'improvement' and it is certainly fun researching and listening along the way. Good luck!

Aug 15, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #17 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by DocHamm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Give some new ones a listen. . .Coming from NYC and NJ, I know there is a 20-1 ratio (at least) of audio stores there as compared to out here. . .
If you love your Arcam, then consider mods or an external DAC. . .I still have my Adcom GCD-575 and love it.

Thanks for your messages - - all sound advice. Yes, many high-end salons aound where I work, so I should try some newer cdps.

You are right about the Adcom. I gave mine to a friend who is quite happy with it. It's still working well after about eighteen years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back