Old tymers, what new music have you found?
May 30, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #16 of 23
May 31, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #17 of 23
i found Keb' Mo' s Keep It Simple relaxing. It's blues btw, but a very smooth one at that. As in smooth jazz smooth.

X2 on Toure.

May 31, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #19 of 23
Thanks guys. There is some good stuff here but I have to reference it through youtube or other means. I'm not ignoring, just finding the time to go through your selections.

srserl, There are the majority of good sounding groups there.

Karl Morgan
Harry Manx
Muno

Very nice

Stone Coyotes lead singer reminds me of Grace Slick
Fly

Thank you.

Jun 1, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #20 of 23
Since your doing your research..

Uncle Tupelo
Peter Himmelman
Kristin Mooney
Blue Rodeo
Lisa Germano

Jun 2, 2009 at 9:22 AM Post #21 of 23
grizzly bear's veckatimest just dropped. with harmonies reminiscent of the beach boys, there should be some nostalgia. odds-on favorite for album of the year. here is a high quality youtube video of one of their new songs.

elbow has put out a number of solid albums over the last 10 years. their first, asleep in the back, remains my favorite. the album has a lush, yearning sound. here is another high quality video.

micah p. hinson is an artist i wish would receive more attention. he has put out some strong singer-songwriter music that employs smart accompaniment. lots of soul-searching music, which is understandable given his interesting life story. give this music video a shot. at over eight minutes, it is a epic... and worth every second.

if you miss art garfunkel, give a listen to dm stith. soft, beautiful, and experimental instrumentation. grizzly bear fans should appreciate his sound. video.

Jun 2, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by terriblepaulz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neko Case

absolutely. i think neko case lived in the 50s and 60s, skipped a few decades, and just released some fine albums. i'd start with blacklisted. this album has a sultry, old country, bluesy sound with big concert hall reverb. her cover of aretha franklin's runnin' out of fools is better than the original. take a listen.

for "old tymers" searching for quality sound, this is as good as it gets.

Jun 2, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aslan123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Camera Obscura - Let's Get Out of This Country might suit you. Very nice melodies with all the songs on this album, and Tracyanne Campbell has a lovely voice as well.

I'll +1 this should really be right up your street.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back