Old Turntable
Mar 2, 2008 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Argyle

New Head-Fier
I came to acquire an old Elac Miracord 50H recently and I was thinking about fixing it up. It works but I'm sure it needs a new needle and I figured I'd try to replace the rca wires and just try to get it as new as possible.

I was wondering if this is even worth doing or if I should just buy a new turntable all together. Is it a good turntable and worth saving or is it low quality no matter what? I don't know much about Elac other than the little I've read. From what I've seen, it seems Elac is a pretty good brand but I don't know for sure.

What do you guys think?

Mar 2, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Argyle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I came to acquire an old Elac Miracord 50H recently and I was thinking about fixing it up. It works but I'm sure it needs a new needle and I figured I'd try to replace the rca wires and just try to get it as new as possible.

I was wondering if this is even worth doing or if I should just buy a new turntable all together. Is it a good turntable and worth saving or is it low quality no matter what? I don't know much about Elac other than the little I've read. From what I've seen, it seems Elac is a pretty good brand but I don't know for sure.

What do you guys think?

Some regard it as the world's best changer.I would say its a keeper.

Mar 5, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

I was wondering if this is even worth doing or if I should just buy a new turntable all together.

It's definitely worth restoring if you have the time and inclination. These are very well made old decks, close relatives of the Lenco idler drives.

You should check the idler tyre to make sure it has no flats and if so get it resurfaced at turntablebasics.com or somewhere.

Also cleaning out the bearing well and recharging it with some new oil would be a good idea.

The ultimate makeover would be to build it a new plinth from hardwood or layered MDF with enough room maybe even to mount a 2nd tonearm like a Rega RB250 at the back behind the top plate. You could then use the existing arm for 78s and the newer arm for microgroove LPs and 45s.

Have fun
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's definitely worth restoring if you have the time and inclination. These are very well made old decks, close relatives of the Lenco idler drives.

You should check the idler tyre to make sure it has no flats and if so get it resurfaced at turntablebasics.com or somewhere.

Also cleaning out the bearing well and recharging it with some new oil would be a good idea.

The ultimate makeover would be to build it a new plinth from hardwood or layered MDF with enough room maybe even to mount a 2nd tonearm like a Rega RB250 at the back behind the top plate. You could then use the existing arm for 78s and the newer arm for microgroove LPs and 45s.

Have fun
wink.gif

Thanks for the info. I've been reading as much as I can and while I would like to have a new TT, I'd hate to spend a ton of money on a new turntable all the while I was sitting on an old one that could sound just as good for a little cheaper if I just put a little work into it.

Do you have any good website links that will give me a "how-to" on making a plinth?

Mar 9, 2008 at 11:24 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Do you have any good website links that will give me a "how-to" on making a plinth?

Not much in terms of direct instructions, but 6moons audio reviews: The Garrard Project Part 2: The Plinth would give you some ideas.
I designed a plinth for a friend a year ago using MS VISIO. I then sent the dimensions and plan drawings to a guy on eBay who cut out the bits for me from perspex. My drawing consisted of a bottom, 2 centre bits,and a top. They were then screwed together at several points. The thickness of the perspex I used in my drawing was 20mm for each section. It looks far nicer than wood. I hope this might give you some ideas.

Mar 12, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

LencoLand - Lost Worlds of Lenco . . .

Explore the links on here, which is a European site where these old idlers are having a bit of a renaissance, as they potentially offer a lot for very little money. There are lots of pics of plinths people have made for Lencos which are quite close to your deck in many ways. Search for Lenco on audiogon and on the web generally and you'll turn up a suitable plinth design or maybe even someone already making them.

Mar 13, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by LordofDoom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I just got out an old Dual 606, I wonder how it sounds? Are they any good?

Nice direct drive with 1st generation Dual ULM arm and ULM cartridge made for Dual by Ortofon (should have been the ULM55E, iirc). So, yes, that's a good model - only disadvantage: If you want to use a different cartridge, you'll need to get the appropriate mounting plate for half-inch-mount carts for the ULM headshell - and you might also need to screw the extra weight (part of theaccessories that came with the 606) onto the arm counterweight, depending on the weight of the cartridge...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back