Old Stax vs Modern AKG / Senn / Grado / Beyer ?
Jun 11, 2014 at 6:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

martin778

100+ Head-Fier
I've been using AKG K530 for like 4 years but they are starting to fall apart and the sound isn't what it used to be so I'd like to upgrade to something better.

Now there is a pair of Stax Sigma (low bias) including the SRM1-Mk2 being offered for sale at €500 and I was wondering how it would compare to modern headphones like AKG K701 or Sennheiser HD600 for example?

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #2 of 4
Maybe check out the Stax thread in the Summit-Fi section.  I'm sure you can get some useful information from there.  And just as a thought, you can probably swing a new Stax setup at that price, if you really wanted to go that route.

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #3 of 4
I'm not sure if budget Staxes are better, the amps for sure are not as good as the srm1 mk2 that comes with the Sigma. (From what i've read on te forums)

I've owned Quad and Audiostatics in the past and that's the main reason I'm interested in Stax.

I checked the prices here in The Netherlands and the basic system costs 999 euro new. Thats the srs-2170

Jun 23, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 4
I just bought a pair of Stax Lambda Pro Classic with SRM-Xh, both should arrive at the end of this week :)

My only concern is that I can't find any clear info on the Pro Classic and how it compares to the Nova Classic or the Nova Signature...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back