Old Stax HP amplifiers: SRD-X or SRA-12s ?
Jan 26, 2018 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

KonstantinT

New Head-Fier
Hello,
usually I enjoy music with an old Stax SR-X MkII electrostatic headphone powered by the SRD-X pro (normal and pro bias), a small amp getting his signal from the rec out of a NAD preamplifier.
Intending an improvement for small money and looking on the second hand market I could at about the same cost either get an old Lambda headphone (normal bias) or a Stax SRA-12s preamp/HP amp. The latter includes a preamplifier with phono and line inputs and an amp for electrostats in one box and would replace my current preamp if the phono input is as good.
I know amplification is as important as the earspeakers and the SRD-X is only a basic amp. My question is, which would be a better improvement, getting the SRA12s for powering the small SR-X phones or getting the Lambda and powering this by the small SRD-X amp?
Thank you in advance!
Konstantin

Jan 26, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 2
I had the original SR-Lambda and I can tell you it's fantastic. I'd be surprised if using a different amp with the SR-X (any variation) could beat it.

I think the newer Lambdas (like the SR-L300 and SR-207) are even better. They can sometimes be found at good prices on the used market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back