Old Sony PCDP
Jun 7, 2002 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Dave-O

New Head-Fier
Hello, new to the forum.

I have an old Sony D-T4 (manuf. 5/88)and would like to know a bit more about it but I am having trouble finding info on the web. Any pointers? I am in the process of putting together a budget listening station, along with a DIFM amp, and would like to know if this model has any of the better components from that era that would make it a good first source. Thank you for any and all help

Jun 8, 2002 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 15
Hiya Dave-O... Welcome to Head-Fi
biggrin.gif

I thought i'd give your thread a little bump back to the top, and at the same time as... is this a personal CD player? or... a boombox? the model number you quoted... not one i've heard of?

Jun 8, 2002 at 5:34 PM Post #3 of 15
Thanks for the warm reception and for freshening up my post to keep it from dying on the vine.

It's a personal cd player. I have attached a picture to give you some idea of which model it may resemble.

On another note I went ahead and submitted a bid for a D-25S on ebay after reading the mostly positive comments. There was a D-555 up as well (currently $53) but with a bad front display. What do these models usually fetch at auction (the D-555)? Thanks for the help, I am very impressed with the wealth of knowledgable folk on this site.

Jun 8, 2002 at 5:46 PM Post #5 of 15
Sweet... the T obviously stands for Tuner

I'm guessing its from the same family as the very original Discmen in which case they're built like tanks... is it in working order? - does the lead acid battery still hold a charge?

Re the D555 It is reportedly one of the very best PCDPs ever made, $53 with a faulty LCD display... hmm, depends how faulty really?!

Jun 8, 2002 at 6:06 PM Post #6 of 15
It still works fine. The lead battery fell by the wayside. As you probably know the thing weighed a ton, sooo I ditched it. I picked up the player probably in 89 as a teenager from an acquaintance (yes--it was hot, found out after the fact) so I never had a manual or any specs or how the charger worked or how much power it needed from the wall wart (9v). Anyways, if I remember corrctly, the AC adapter that I found to work with the battery seemed to charge it. But later that no longer seemed to be the case.
Anybody know what kind of components the D-4's had? DAC's?

Jun 13, 2002 at 7:52 PM Post #7 of 15
Hi Dave-O, I also got an ancient Sony D-T66. The anti-skip mechanism is non-existant, so I just use it at home. Regardless of the lack of info on the web, this thing sounds terrific. I don't have a digicam at the moment, so I can't show you a pic. But the shell is similar to yours.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 17, 2002 at 6:47 AM Post #8 of 15
I have an old 1990 D-11. the thing is a tank. I bought it at a garage sale for 5 bucks too
smily_headphones1.gif
. it has one of those detachable anti-shock stands that has a car adaptor and wall plug built in.. no manual or box tho... the thing plays burnt cds to my amazement... any my 1996 model doesnt.. oh well. ill get a pic of it soon maybe... i wonder if it shares the same amp as the d-25... its reallly powerfull...

Jun 17, 2002 at 2:46 PM Post #9 of 15
Mine came with the anti-shock mounting plate as well! It has the same adapters as yours. I plan on using it (sans adapters)w/ my PCDP, since it doesn't have any anit-shock features, in a wooden clamshell case along with my amp. This will protect my mini system and with a handle mounted on the top will make a durable case for transportation. I'll post pictures when it makes it to fruition.
I wonder if a D-25S will mate up to this plate?

Jun 18, 2002 at 5:59 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by a1leyez0nm3
I have an old 1990 D-11. the thing is a tank. I bought it at a garage sale for 5 bucks too
smily_headphones1.gif
. it has one of those detachable anti-shock stands that has a car adaptor and wall plug built in.. no manual or box tho... the thing plays burnt cds to my amazement... any my 1996 model doesnt.. oh well. ill get a pic of it soon maybe... i wonder if it shares the same amp as the d-25... its reallly powerfull...

my first pcdp was a D-11. i still got it and besides a few scratches its in good working order. I thought i give it a try to hear what it sound like. didnt like it one bit. my current D-E885 is alot better.

Jun 19, 2002 at 4:56 AM Post #11 of 15
The d25s and dt4 appear to have the same clamp holes for the mounting plate.
I am kicking myself right now, for I had an older(89-90) sony with the shock plate mount and rechargable battery; I threw it in the trash about three months ago.
My dt4 is inop. If anyone wants it for parts or to try the battery just send me postage.
Man oh man, first it was the headphones, now it's these damn vintage pcdp.
md

Users who are viewing this thread

Back