Old Sennheisers and what amp?
Aug 11, 2009 at 11:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

audiojan

New Head-Fier
First post! I have a pair of old Sennheiser HD 540 reference II (that bought when I owned a recording for mixing purpose). Except that the foam has deteriorated (and hence been replaced with speaker cloth..) they are working well.

Now to the question, is it worth buying a decent amp for these? If so, which one? My requirements is basically that it needs to sound good (BIG surprise right?!), no need for DAC (although that could be a bonus down the road I guess), and that it needs to be able to be used both with 220V and 110V either via a switch or at least with two different external power supplies. (moving between the continents...). Down the road, I will probably upgrade the headphones to something like Sennheiser HD650 or AKG K702 (need to research and listen first...), so the amp needs to function good with those...

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #2 of 2
You will always get better performance from a dedicated headphone amplfier as the headphone output on most integrated amplifiers is a last minute, cheap addition, so having a dedicated quality separate headphone amplifier pays dividends.

I have to be careful what I say as we are a retailer, but there are plenty of recommendations for headphone amps on the dorum.

An outboard DAC (or headphone amp/DAC combined) is also a benefit if you want to get the most out of your digital source.

Alex
Audio Affair

Users who are viewing this thread

Back