old sennheiser HD424x
May 14, 2009 at 3:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

lecky

100+ Head-Fier
I got delivery of some old sennheiser HD424x from ebay this morning, they seem not to have been used, boxed, with a cable tie on the cable, user guide, an unused guarantee card and a piece of paper instructing on how to clean the pads. The pads had clearly crumbled and been disposed of, some new ones are on their way.

They're 2000ohms so obviously I couldn't meaningfully plug them into my ipod or portable amp, so I went and dug out the only amp I have with a headphone out - a nasty 80's Aiwa A25 (well I say nasty - it does my speakers no good, but it seems to have an acceptable headphone stage).

In absence of the pads I put the mid sized foams from my c-jays between the drivers and my ears, and it they sound really nice! Light on bass, but mids and highs are really nice and detailed, I could almost follow the conversations at the tables on Bill Evans At The Village Vanguard.

They have a lovely airy easy quality. I'm listening to the Kirov orchestra playing Stravinsky's The Rites of Spring now. It's really convincing, smooth and effortless, doesn't really carry the authoritative rumble of an orchestra at full tilt but more than compensates in detail.

If they really haven't been used then I guess they might develop with some burn in... and I look forward to hearing them with the proper pads. They cost next to nothing. I'm really happy.

May 14, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #2 of 3
Oooo, those are old, must be at least 30 years!

The Owners Manual is HERE if you need it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back