old school
Jan 14, 2006 at 7:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

daycart1

Ceremonial old guy, bifocals and all.All the philosophy he can muster can't solve the mysterious double-post.
Who can remember using a transistor radio with one of those crummy single ear, unsealed, semi-canal earplugs they sometimes came with? Now when I listen with an earbud in one ear it seems really creepy!
When I was a kid, it seemed almost inconceivably high tech to have a single-side earphone!
eek.gif

Jan 14, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #3 of 8
I can remember having a portable AM/FM radio that I thought was really cool and very small (it was about double the thickness of the nano and about half a centimetre longer!!)

I can also remember trying out dolby NR on loads of tape recordings trying to work out what difference it made to the music (to my ears at the time - nothing)

Jan 14, 2006 at 9:06 AM Post #4 of 8
Not only can I remember - I have a whole box full of 'em - at least 20
I used to fall asleep listening to Tiger baseball games as a kid. Those radios seemed to play forever on a regular carbon 9v. It would run down with no sound, only to magically come back to life again for the next baseball game
wink.gif

Jan 14, 2006 at 9:42 AM Post #5 of 8
My Mum and Dad bought me a transistor radio for Christmas in 1962. I think it may have been made by Phillips - but it looked really modern - black plastic and silver.

I used to hide under the bed clothes listening to foreign radio on MW on my little white earpiece.

It sparked off my interest in hi fi.

Ian

Jan 14, 2006 at 10:32 AM Post #6 of 8
notjeff: man, I loved the speed dubbing feature on my sister's boombox. Intentionally abusing it to copy albums at double speed = hours of fun. You haven't heard Nevermind until you've heard the Chipmunks version.

Jan 14, 2006 at 2:18 PM Post #7 of 8
I still get them from Radio shack to use with a little radio I have. Actuall do quite well with talk radio. I have images of the many TV shows where the husmabd runs the wire up his arm and into his ear so he can lisitin to the big game during his Anniversary or (fill in the blank.)

Jan 14, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #8 of 8
Take it to the next level: who can remember using one with a crystal radio? They were the cheap and available alternative to old 2000-ohm sound-powered headphones.

No battery, just a bit of rock and the end of a pin, coil, long wire, and tuning cap.

Built many of these and listened late into the night....

TC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back