Old School Upgrade time: H120/iBasso D1 Brick & Sansa Clip Zip to >>> Fiio X3ii?
Aug 12, 2016 at 12:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

tracyrick

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone done an SQ comparison of an X3ii to an iBasso D1 from any line-out DAP?

Currently using my H120/iBasso D1 brick for desktop use (both refuse to die) and a Sansa Clip Zip for portable.

The Clip sounds decent but is going to die or break soon, based on my past experience with other versions I've broken. And new Clip version reviews are poor.

The brick sounds great to me (I use an AD8397 Hi-Flight kit) and has very high output, but it's definitely a brick. So I'm thinking of upgrading to one solution, and I'm pretty sold on Fiio at this point.

I don't think the M3 or X1 are going to do it for me. The X3ii seems much more competent, while still being portable enough for a pocket. The X5ii doesn't sound like enough bang for my buck vs. the X3ii, or sound a lot better, and it might be a little bigger than I want. I have 90GB of FLAC files, so I'm thinking of loading those on to a 128GB card, into an X3ii.

Is it time for me to kill the brick? I'm wondering if the X3ii will be both smaller than my brick, AND sound better. Or just be smaller. I found one Clip comparison that concluded that the X3ii sounded better, which didn't surprise me. Any other opinions on this?

I've also thought about going to a iPhone7>Cypher cable>Sine (desktop), iPhone7>Dragonfly>SE535 (portable). The main thing holding me back there is 90GB of FLAC files (will need the BIG memory version of the phone) and adding more risk to damaging a very expensive phone. I'd much rather have a dedicated $170 music player and keep the phone for phone use, even though it's two separate devices I have to deal with.

Phones: SE535, ER-4P/S, ATH-M50X, SR80. Possible future phones: Audeze Sine.

Aug 12, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #2 of 2
Sorry for digressing, I have a h120 from my friends but when it turn on the screen was blank, thought my computer still regconized it as a usb. Please can anyone tell me if it is possible to fix this? Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back