Old school soundcards
Feb 15, 2006 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Clutz

Tells us when we're offset.
Remember those old school soundcards? Like the Adlib, and the Adlib Goal? How wabout the Soundblaster 16?

My soundcard was a Gravis Ultrasound. I miss that soundcard. It fried on me one day when it had slid lose from it's socket (I wasn't in the habit of screwing cards in at the time) and made contact with the case - quickly making a puff of smoke and then never making another sound again. *sigh* I wish I could have my GUS back though. I doubt it'd be compatible, it'd just be pretty nostalgic.
smily_headphones1.gif
Reminds me of the days of listening to MOD files and watching demos.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #4 of 19
I used to use my Creative SB 16 with some (literally) $10 computer speakers. In my basement, I then found an old Pioneer stereo system from the 80's. It was the one that had a turntable, radio, amplifier, 2 large speakers, and cassette deck with it.

Anways, I eventually found a mini-RCA cable (also from the basement!) and plugged the amp to the SB 16 card. That was really my first hi-fi experience.

At the time I plugged it in, I was playing Grim Fandango. I could really feel the footsteps on the floor with that system!

Feb 15, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #5 of 19
Yea, my first sound card was a Creative Sound Blaster 16. I still remember hooking up a 4 ohm car speaker to it's headphone out. I can't believe it was able to drive it haha!

Then later on (in 98) I got a PC with a Creative Sound Blaster AWE 64 ISA and I don't understand why people so highly regarded this card because I thought it sucked... Man the hiss (even from the line out jack) was horrible... Other than that I guess it was a good card though. I've still got it in a PC actually but I don't really use the sound on that machine, it still works though.
smily_headphones1.gif
wink.gif

Feb 15, 2006 at 5:24 AM Post #6 of 19
A month or so ago I finally went through my closet and threw out my old pc hardware. At LEAST 5 SoundBlaster 16 ISA, as well as probably 10-15 other ISA cards of various quality. Man I'm glad I've got a rev.

Feb 15, 2006 at 9:06 AM Post #7 of 19
Yup, remember 'em well. I still have some MOD (tracker) files on my hard drive, and fire 'em up occasionally. There were some very creative gems among all the crap.

Feb 15, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #8 of 19
My first sound card was from a company called Reveal that has since gone under. It was basically a repackaged Ensoniq Soundscape ISA card. Had some compatibility trouble with games, but OTOH it had General MIDI playback which made the in-game music a lot better... I'll never forget the first time I got that fired up. I had spent literally hours trying to find the best settings.

I think my next card was a PCI Soundscape I bought off ebay.

Also remember the first time I discovered MOD and other tracker music. Cool stuff.

(edit: sorry, didn't realize I couldn't say bad words)

Feb 17, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #9 of 19
I remember installing the SoundBlaster 16. First soundcard I ever heard. I fired up my favourite game and couldn't believe my ears. They were talking!!!!

"Hmmmm... I'm thirsty."
"I don't think you should drink that... it look bad for you."

Feb 18, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #10 of 19
DoTT is an excellent game. I've just replayed it with my wife a few days ago.

My first experience on soundcard is the 'Mocking Board' on Apple II.

Also my high school friend recorded the MIDI music of Ultima V, and made hundreds of copies of casette tapes to sell. Using AppleII and Roland equipments...

Feb 18, 2006 at 2:08 PM Post #11 of 19
I had an ensoniq PCI or two before they were bought out by Creative. I can recall listening to mp3's on my home stereo way back in the 90's, my first htpc I guess. There was at least one website that heralded them as the best sounding analog outs back then.

Feb 18, 2006 at 6:55 PM Post #12 of 19
It sure was sweet !
(notice it has the optional 512k ram upgrade)
wink.gif

Just took these pictures with my camera phone, this card is still operational if it only had the proper oldish PC with ISA-slots. Oh damn i just realized, i could build an old MS-DOS computer and run all those "oldschool" '90's scene demos and mods ! ;D

Aug 7, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #13 of 19
Wow, it seems i killed this thread..i always do
confused.gif

Aug 7, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #14 of 19
Well... I used have adlib soundcard(?) with my IBM XT. Nice computer that has blazing fast 8Mhz CPU, eye catching monochrome hercules card and whopping 10MB HDD.

This what I used to have with that XT. Pic from wikipedia.

744px-Adlib.jpg

Aug 7, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #15 of 19
Wow, look at it, the card that started all
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back