Old pair of phones broke, need help deciding the successor
Dec 6, 2014 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

SonicScientist

New Head-Fier
Situation: Headband of my 2yo HM5 snapped and replacing it costs about the same as buying a new pair of cans, so why not? They are mainly for desktop usage, but if I the isolation is enough for long car and plane trips that's definitely a plus. So far I've been looking at these options and respective prices:

UE6000              70e
Ath-M50(X)         109 (150)e
Philips Uptown    50e
Takstar Pro         75e
Aurvana live        60e
AKG k550/551    125e

In the meantime I've been using JVC HA-S400 and UE600 that I usually use on the road. While I like the powerful sound of S400, they are intolerably uncomfortable after an hour, even with the K81 earpads. I also like the mids of UE600 more, but on the other hand their bass sounds like some bloke clapping two pieces of firewood gently together, even with the more bass-heavy tracks. The neutrality of HM5 was pretty good for the multitude of genres I listen to, but they were also pretty boring most of the time. The main contenders are UE6000, Uptown and the CAL, mainly because of their reduced prices. M50 is on the list because of all the hype and K550 because I found out I could get them that "cheap" (if you can convince me that's a holy-****-why-haven't-you-bought-them-already -price), considering they were around 300e here at the beginning. I don't mind open headphones, but nothing has stood up so far at ~/< price range (apart from Senn HD 5xx, but I don't like how they sound).

I'm so lost please help me.

Dec 6, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #2 of 4
You could also drop down from the ATH-M50X to the ATH-M40X or ATH-M20X. You have several on your list I have not heard but I am curious about - I keep telling myself to buy a pair of Philips Uptown before they disappear completely. I'm a sucker for cheap, but well made products that are discounted by huge amounts.

Dec 7, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #4 of 4
You could also drop down from the ATH-M50X to the ATH-M40X or ATH-M20X. You have several on your list I have not heard but I am curious about - I keep telling myself to buy a pair of Philips Uptown before they disappear completely. I'm a sucker for cheap, but well made products that are discounted by huge amounts.

From AT it would be either of M50s, otherwise I'm just gonna regret my decision (as I did a few years back when I pondered between it and HM5). And that blue+tan version just looks so good.

Does anyone have experience with K551, esp. how do tehy compare to UE? Found them for 85e.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back