old news: ksc50 sound great, feel lousy
Sep 17, 2002 at 6:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dinosauract

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for a cheap, good-sounding, and comfortable headphone for workouts, I picked up the Koss KSC-50 at Circuit City for $14.95. I didn't really expect too much, I've always kind of associated a bass-heavy, poorly detailed sound with Koss. But for $15, I took a chance. These really do sound very good, detail and air are excellent. Two problems though. Comfort is not the greatest, and bass extension is OK but not great, although I'd rather have this than the bloated bass I experienced on my old Koss phones, the KTX-Pro. Hopefully, both problems are due to the relatively loose fit of the 50. I could be very happy with the sound of the 50's but the comfort issue might be tougher. If only they weren't so heavy - they actually make my ears droop from the weight hanging from the clip. I went ahead and ordered the 35's on ebay, hopefully they will address the two concerns I had with the 50's. Soundwise the 50's are incredible for the price, but the if the 35's resolve the comfort issue and provide a little more bass as well, they're well worth the couple extra bucks. Looks like the supply of the 35's might be starting to dwindle.

Sep 18, 2002 at 12:16 AM Post #2 of 3
better work out on those ears...there are not THAT heavy!
very_evil_smiley.gif

of course your post nailed the consensus about the sound. you should be happier with the 35s because of the fit. my problem is that to achieve the fit, you (i mean i) gotta be patient....i still have trouble with them. actually i have moved onto PortaPros to solve the on/off problem. (on firm setting...and treble boost on iPod, i get a sound i like for portable listening).

anyhow, the 35s were my first "audiophile" cheapos...thanks only to this great forum, btw......and i was literally stunned that for $20 or so you could actually have music...not just sound.

then i bought senn mx500...same thing..stunned by the better quality for "disposible" buds.

then i got the 50s....in the minority, but i like the look and feel better than the 35s...and the ease of on/off....but sound just not quite as good as 35s.

then i got the PortaPros....

and i have the Aiwa vx100s and Sony EX70SL on order..........

Sep 19, 2002 at 4:25 AM Post #3 of 3
I'm lovig my koss 50s. wear em when I bike to school(some times 3 round trips in a day) and for $14 they can't be beat in my book. First month I had em it was totaly wierd to wear em. Now I barely notice them

?

"they actually make my ears droop from the weight hanging from the clip. "

these things are rather lite. just how are you attaching them to your ears?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back